1962 FJ40 w/hardtop rebuild/restore 2011 By Greg Hobbs, Phx, Az (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Guys I had a question on the glass that is in my top? 3 of the 4 pieces of glass in my top are the original glass, they have the original factory markings. But the quesion is should I keep the original glass or pull it out and get new glass cut for it? Reason I'm asking is I have a friend that works for a glass co, and he said he can get me a super deal when I'm ready and he said it would be safer in the long run. But he said he could also buff the old glass back to new. So I thought I'd put the question out to you guys.
Thanks Greg

MORE PICS!!!!

Here is some more pics Guys! The first Pic is of the Cruiser in 1975 and me at 2yrs old, and when it still had the original doors on it. The rest are as it sits today waiting to come back to life!
62' in 1975 and me @ 2yrs.JPG
1962 FJ40 003.jpg
1962 FJ40 010.jpg

Hope you Guys all like the pics and if there is anything you want more detailed pics on anything just let me know!
THANKS, GREG

Last edited:
She's beautiful! That's one sweet rig, and FST, too!
(The plate says FJ40L, meaning LHD, if it came with a hard top the code would read FJ40LV)

Hey Greg, for what it's worth, I would do a true restoration on the rig you have. It looks clean enough, you have the rare original doors, what mods done can be undone, and the engine you can change at any point down to road for a Toyota F135. I am not saying to take it to the frame at all...get it running and safely on the road, but when doing so, buy original parts when you need to, and not aftermarket stuff. If you do this now, and are careful to "respect" the heritage of the cruiser your dad purchased, then when you do hand it down to your kids, it will still be an authentic 1962 FJ40...This is what I would do...you can always do the frame off with your kids down the road if you protect what you have now.

If you really wanted something like an ICON, then find yourself a cheap second FJ to modify, something like a 1978, and with the help and knowledge of the really good people here on MUD, I am sure you can build a much better rig than the ICON, and for way less than half the price.

It goes with out saying that this is your rig, and you should do what you want, but since you asked, then I would properly restore your 62 :beer:

I couldn't agree more, a rig of that age in such great shape deserves to be lovingly restored and heirloomed onward! If you really want to refine the driveline some, I love the 2F/H42 combination.

It is def. not a factory softop. If it was it would have the proper "S" shaped door openings as all 1962 FST had.

'61-mid '63 FJ40's had two different/unique body styles one for the hard top model and one for the softtop model. Starting in '64 there was only one body style for all FJ40's

HTH :cheers:

here is a pic. of a '62 FST; notice the "S" shaped door opening
id_toyota_landcruiser_1962.jpg

and a pic of my '62 factory hardtop; notice the high b-pillar
DSC_0581.jpg

She's beautiful! That's one sweet rig, and FST, too!
(The plate says FJ40L, meaning LHD, if it came with a hard top the code would read FJ40LV)
id_toyota_landcruiser_1962.jpg
DSC_0581.jpg

Last edited:
Well as far as I know the top has never been removed. I tried to do it when I was a teen but my Dad put a stop to it pretty quick. LOL
And the pics of the inside the rear those are 4" lift springs and a replacement 3 speed tranny that were never installed. If there were any questions. I stumbled acrossed them at a 4x4 shop where a guy was tearing everything out to make a hard core rock crawler. Got the full set of springs and tranny for $250.

I stand corrected. I tend to forget that things were weird in the '60's:doh:

It is def. not a factory softop. If it was it would have the proper "S" shaped door openings as all 1962 FST had.

'61-mid '63 FJ40's had two different/unique body styles one for the hard top model and one for the softtop model. Starting in '64 there was only one body style for all FJ40's

HTH :cheers:

here is a pic. of a '62 FST; notice the "S" shaped door opening
View attachment 491233

and a pic of my '62 factory hardtop; notice the high b-pillar
View attachment 491234

Hey nice FJ,
I notice your window glass has the same FJ25L as my 61 FJ25L hardtop but yours is a FJ40 hardtop.
Great old FJ
Bill

Well just an Update>>> Had an unexpected event happen and had to get my Cruiser moved out of the back yard where its been sitting for the last 4yrs. Good news is thats its going to get a new pad of dirt the be parked on instead of the grass! I have to remove the driveway dirt out front to meet city code and remplace it with dust free gravel. The other good news is all the tires still hold air enough to move it easily, well sorta! LOL! Took a bit of muscle to get it rolled out of the 4 holes it was sitting in to move it to hook up the tow bar. I forgot how heavy it was! lol. The bad news was I really found out how dried out everything was and lacking lube.
So if any of you local guys want to come give it a once over I'm going to have it parked in the driveway for a week or so so I can get the new pad all ready for the Cruiser to go back on it til I get some time to get it down to a local You-Fix-It garage that has a lift so i can get a good look at the underside!
Just let me know if you do want to look at it! I'm sure I will have tons of people stopping to ask if its for sale in the next week or so. So not looking forward to that LOL!
I'm on facebook under Greg Hobbs if you want to contact me there.

Greg,

What a fantastic early FJ! Very neat to see the pictures and to read your story. I'll look you up on Facebook and see if we can connect. I am in Scottsdale and would welcome the opportunity to see her in person.

Cheers,
Mike

Not on facebook but won't mind seeing it. If your mom got a letter from the city it's because someone complained. It happened to me a couple of times. One of the main reasons I moved out of the neighborhood. I will be out of town until Monday but I could store it for you for a couple of weeks. Have a car hauler to move it. PM me if your interested.

Hey Living,
I can store it there with no issues I built an RV gate for the rear. Its because the "dirt" is not conatained and its doesn't meet code because I park my personal truck there during the day and my work truck there at night, due to bad and limited parking at my GF's place. But Thanks for the offer if I need it i will definatly keep you in mind. Plus I have a good friend that owns a towing serevice, so I have that covered too. If anyone ever needs towing or hauling he owns a dovetail gooseneck also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom