For Sale 1962 FJ40 "Resto.-Mod" (South Carolina) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1962 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
Located in North Augusta, SC
Price: SOLD!!

This particular model FJ40 is from the 2nd year of production in the FJ40 series (1962), making it a very rare and hard to come by model. It has many unique nuances only seen in the earliest Land Cruisers, such as the corrugated hard tops sides, bi-fold rear door, stamped Land Cruiser bezel, windshield vent, etc. I found this FJ40 in desert east of Reno, NV back in 2007, where for decades it had served faithfully for a utilities company, servicing power lines in the remote Nevada desert. The upside of spending its whole life in the high desert was a complete lack of rust, except for the the rear sill which I replaced with all new sheet metal. However, the down side is that the FJ40 was put through the paces and thus the drivetrain was tired and worn out by the time I came into ownership.
In 2010 I began a complete frame off "Resto-Mod," and as mentioned previously, the body was very solid and rust free, but the drivetrain need attention. Thus I decided to do a frame off restoration that would keep the unique original look of the FJ40 while incorporating a more modern drivetrain to make it much more suitable for modern roadways. I sourced a complete running and driving 1990 FJ62 Toyota Land Cruiser with a strong drivetrain, which I used as an engine donor. I also sourced a 4spd. transmission(H42) mated to a 3spd. transfer-case and combined these behind the 3FE fuel injected engine for a more modern and reliable all-Toyota drivetrain to power the FJ40. To round out the drivetrain, I added a late model disc brake FJ40 axle.

Here are some basic specs on the Cruiser

Drivetrain:
1990 3FE (fuel injected) 180k, w/ complete tune-up
4spd. (H42) transmission mated to 3spd. transfer-case
factory disc brake front axle; rebuilt rear axle with drum brake, new pads front and rear
brand new clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate, and resurfaced flywheel
new dual circuit brake master cylinder

Suspension:
2 1/2 inch Old Man Emu suspension
33" x 9.5" BFG A/T with 85% tread left mounted on FJ62 factory rims
Frame was stripped to the bare metal and coated with POR-15 for ultimate rust protection

Body:
The body is rust free and was completely removed from the frame. The underside was sprayed with POR-15 and all the seams sealed with 3M seam sealer. The rest of the body was painted in the period correct factory color of Seminole Red. The paint is about 1.5 years old now and still looks great however it is not a $10,000 paint job and does have a few minor imperfections, but they are impossible to find unless I was to point them out. I would say it is a 9/10 paint job, and it looks great in person. Also, the front fenders were replaced with brand new OEM fenders. All glass is original (stamped FJ25) with the exception of the windshield and the drivers side window.

Interior:
The interior consists of the original front bench seat with new seat covers from SOR, rear jump seats from a late model FJ40, and a late model factory roll-bar. There is brand new weather stripping and gaskets throughout and new headliner. The front and rear doors were completely redone with new weather stripping and now close snuggly with no leaks or rattles. The gauges and switches were completely refurbished. All gauges work with the exception of the amperage gauge.

To summarize, this an outstanding example of a very unique and rare FJ40 that has been completely gone through. It has all the classic style and design that made the early FJ40's so timeless combined with the drivetrain from a modern Land Cruiser, affording classic style with great reliability. I have taken this Cruiser on several 500+ mile trips over the last year without a hitch and wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country. If you are interested in this Cruiser, please contact me and I can tell you everything you want to know and would love to have anyone that is seriously interested come see it in person.

Shoot me your emial if you want more pics, I have quite a few.

Thanks!
JP
myfj40-1.jpg
myfj40-2.jpg
myfj40-3.jpg

Last edited:
But Gawwwwwd Dayum... how/why is this still for sale??!! For this price or best offer how is it not sold?! I need a bigger driveway...

I am wondering the same thing:hillbilly: Haven't had any real interest at all from this listing:confused:

Thanks for the for the kind words:beer:

If it weren't thousands of miles from me..... A damn good thing it isn't here, otherwise I'd looking into a way to buy that beauty, although I already own too many vehicles. Actually, if it were here it would've sold immediately before I could even get to the bank. Oh well, it wouldn't have enough leg room for me anyway.....would it?

Last edited:
Weekend Bump

WOW what a beuty especially with the 3EFI in there....those engines are so much better than the stock and it mated up right it seems.

Price Drop!!!

WOW what a beuty especially with the 3EFI in there....those engines are so much better than the stock and it mated up right it seems.

Thanks for the compliment:beer:

And how about a price drop first 12,000 takes her home, I need to get this out of the garage :cheers:

Last edited:
ClemsonCruiser said:
And how about a price drop first 12,000 takes her home, I need to get this out of the garage :cheers:

I saw her on eBay...seem like it was bidding high when I saw it. Re-list it, it will sell.

It appears that you put on new factory bumper as well as the SOR yellow driving lights. Looks great. I'm sure you have all of $12k into this rig. Good luck with the sale. Someone is going to get a NICE Cruiser.

what kind of mileage you getting with the engine swap

I will be honest I drove her mostly back and forth to work which is about 10miles round trip and I really didn't keep up with the mileage as it wasn't a big concern of mine.

However I did do two 500 mile trips to my folks mountain cabin and on those I averaged in the 15-17 mpg range.

thanks
JP

It appears that you put on new factory bumper as well as the SOR yellow driving lights. Looks great. I'm sure you have all of $12k into this rig. Good luck with the sale. Someone is going to get a NICE Cruiser.

Yes it is a new OEM bumper and the SOR replica fog lights. Thanks for the compliments:cheers:

JP

JP,
I just saw your ad back up on eBay. Good luck with the sale!! I still cannot believe it hasn't sold for what you originally wanted for it. It is such a beautiful Cruiser!

One last thing... Look at them TIGERS!! WOOT!! Stomping on some Tar Heals butts!!
These last few games are going to be some tough ones though.

<droooool>>

JP,
I just saw your ad back up on eBay. Good luck with the sale!! I still cannot believe it hasn't sold for what you originally wanted for it. It is such a beautiful Cruiser!

One last thing... Look at them TIGERS!! WOOT!! Stomping on some Tar Heals butts!!
These last few games are going to be some tough ones though.

Well she finally sold on ebay and is headed to Athens to a big bulldog fan, thank god it didn't go to a gamecock fan though. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Congrats on the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom