$1700 to change power steering pump and fix oil pan leaks.....does that sound about right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took her to the shop for a different reason and ended up with this:

Vehicle has multiple oil leaks. Upper and lower oil pan, as well that the power steering pump and the line going to the power steering reservoir.

Pics they gave attached

This is including parts, I plan to get my own OEM parts. But does that sound right?

4e66b6037da92b56fff63086ed5d5964864cb33c.jpg
8f0d491ad7b5902a828c24a46902190f2577894a.jpg
9c5ff28afde4bb0dffefd82c27889064f9d16232.jpg
9d456dce0d0403fa28b76bf0249f86e0bddbe3af.jpg
ffe8a4ee2249b483996403884cccb6690fecfe27.jpg

The most common leak at the rear of the engine, drips coming off the bellhousing, is from the upper oil pan but both pans need to be removed then resealed. So that appears to be a correct diagnosis. The leak is usually from the rear arch area of the upper oil pan.

The most common leak at the front of the engine is from the Oil Pump Cover, that is of course also engine oil (not power steering fluid).

Can't tell from the photos what the fluid(s) are but from the pattern and amount, best guess is at least some of the mess up front is from the oil pump cover.

I would clean the areas in the photos well working from the top and bottom then watch closely. Take more photos after it's been cleaned off.

Were you losing power steering fluid?

Last edited:
I don't know of any way to remove the oil pans without pulling the engine, so consider that in your assessment of the quote. You could, conceivably, unbolt the engine mounts and lift the engine on the harmonic balancer, but I wouldn't let someone do that on my engine. The quote doesn't surprise me, but IMO it's too much for the job.

FWIW, you can fix the power steering leaks yourself for the cost of parts and two hours of your time. I'd really clean the oil pan and see exactly where the leak(s) is/are, before I let someone pull the pans. @Kernal is correct, the seal between the pans is a known problem area, and it's a PITA to fix. The good news is it keep the rust demons at bay. If you're not losing a significant amount of oil, I'd leave it. Fix the power steering problem, though.

$1700 is absolutely fair for working on a oily, disgusting almost 30 year old truck.

Oil pan removal is full on PITA if done in situ.

And you need to think about the other intangibles:

1. Waiting for FIPG to cure before putting oil in.
2. Bleeding PS system.
3. Possibility of it being rear main seal.
4. Good portion of front end of vehicle needs to be removed.

$1700 is a good deal. Especially including parts.

I did all these things on mine. Didn't have to pull the engine but did have to lift it. I would charge you more than that if I were doing it on your rig. It was as fun as you would expect and there are other seals that need to be purchased. But yeah Clean that thing up good and look again

I've done almost this exact job on mine with everything in the vehicle. It's not enjoyable and very time consuming to get everything clean enough to seal up correctly. That plus oil dripping onto my face was very fun. That doesn't seem too terrible a price given a shop's labor rate and parts.

Thanks fellas, it is what it is I suppose. I was thinking to source my own OEM parts instead of whatever they would use. You guys think that is worth the trouble?

Not sure there are many aftermarket options for them to choose

- Is this an experienced Land Cruiser shop?
- Are they replacing your power steering pump?
- they are resealing both oil pans with Toyota FIPG
- they are replacing power steering hoses both high pressure and low pressure?
Removing the upper oil pan while In the truck is a day job and not an easy one! After doing that job I would tell people $1700 is a steal! I would not let a shop work on my truck unless it was a Land Cruiser specialty shop. A new power steering pump is almost $400, after market high pressure hose $50, miscellaneous hose for the return and Toyota FIPG under $100. It sounds to good to be true to me. Call Toyota and get a quote over the phone with OEM parts and I would be blown away if it was under $3k.

If I couldn't do it myself then yes I would pay that to have it done.....assuming it is done right.

What are they doing to the power steering pump, resealing or replacing?
What power steering lines are they replacing? The supply and return coming from reservoir is easy, high pressure line not as much but with pump coming out makes it easier.
Need more clarification

My guess is most of it coming from more common leaks and not the oil pan
Most of the oil on the axle is most likely coming from the axle breather as the hose has come disconnected

I really appreciate all the replies fellas, I'm actually going to go pick her up soon and when I do I will get more clarification on everything including the specific things they are replacing!

I will report back!

As mentioned above, be sure to reconnect the hose to the short pipe nipple on the axle housing (has it been that way or did the mechanic pull it off to check out the valve then forget to put the hose back on or??)

That could add to the mess if gear oil is blowing out, but also you don't want to get water into the diff/axle housing if you wash it off.

As mentioned above, be sure to reconnect the hose to the short pipe nipple on the axle housing (has it been that way or did the mechanic pull it off to check out the valve then forget to put the hose back on or??)

That could add to the mess if gear oil is blowing out, but also you don't want to get water into the diff/axle housing if you wash it off.

Kernal could you specifically point that out to me? Please and thank you very much.

I'm compiling a list of questions for them and I do plan to clean it first and see if I can check the leaks after that.

Last edited:
8f0d491ad7b5902a828c24a46902190f2577894a_New.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom