16 x 5.5 that take OEM caps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Obviously these trucks are not typically smooth down the road, but how are those tires? As mentioned I've bought the wrong tire before and my kidneys paid for it. Just wondering if there was any noticeable difference.

I might be a bad judge here because my FJ40 runs Gabriel "load-leveler" shocks - basically a mini coilover to help the spring arches when they sag out. The coil overs, however, work in the opposite direction a shock is supposed to, so my ride is harsh, to say the least - but I'm not sure it's fair to blame the tires. I also have a small block Chevy in the FJ40, which means I can't hear the person sitting next to me speak, let along road noise.

The BFG KM3's in 7.5R16 only come in load range E, which is for a very heavy vehicle. I'm running them at 30PSI up front, and 28PSI in the rear (best wear pattern from chalk test) on the road. So far, I haven't noticed a difference in noise or ride quality from the Cooper Discoverer AT's that came off my truck. There might be a touch more drone perceptible when the engine is quiet (ie: coasting to a stop) but ultimately nothing to write home about.

I've only put about 500 miles on these tires so far, so it is too soon to tell if they'll get louder as they break in. So far, I'm very happy with them.

I have been running 255/85r16 for over 25 years on 5.5 splits

That equals 33/10x16

There are TONS of tires at this size lots of guys go with 16 ... because there are more options

Even all these can go on the 5.5 rims each 10” (approx) wide...
8.25r16 = 34”
9.00r16 = 36”
11.00r16 = 38”

:meh:

I run 255/85r16 (Toyo M55s) on a full size truck using old stock Ford rims. I believe they are 6.5" wide. No issues with that pizza-cutter at all up to 70mph but the load range is "D". I don't think I'd like to go taller at that width unless I was certain I was going to keep my speed down to a modest 55.

235/85s are fine on 5.5-inch rims. The size is equivalent to 7.50 x 16, which was installed on millions of 5.5-inch Land Rover and Land Cruiser rims around the world. On the other hand, I keep seeing owners squeezing 31 x 10.50 x 15s on stock Toyota 5.5 x 15" rims. Now that's pushing it.

I've got 20 years on 15x7 widened stock wheels with 31x10.50r15 tires (stock springs/uncut fenders). No way I'd run these tires on an unaltered stock rim. I hadn't planned on ever running anything but the fabled 33x9.50 BFG ATs but cost/availability kept me in the 31s. Now I'll likely have to go with 33x10.50 or wider to gain any ground clearance or longer highway legs. That's a lot of sidewall in a "C" load rated tire and I'll need a lift to boot. So I wish I had gone with an 8" rim. Stockton advised me to go 8" in the first place for more versatility especially if I was to be doing much pavement driving. They gots lawyers to deal with so they likely err on the caution side.

Options for 15" rims do suck nowadays so 16s are the way to go. But it's possible that, with Americans' penchant for giant monster-truck sized rubber, 15 and even 16" rims may go away altogether some day (remember 16.5"?). Though I mentioned it for the safety aspect, a second point here is, unless you've got cash to burn, don't pigeon-hole your tire size too much as the offerings might change over time.

If a 5.5 rim and boggers are your thing then go for it! I'd still be nervous with that 11.00r16 at speed trying to dodge a moose...even fully inflated. I guess I could just drive right over it :grinpimp:

Can’t recall exactly the original poster of this pic... think either mark w or peter w

Either way

Think afaik this was of the 900r16 on oem split rims

8 ply ... but that includes steel ply sidewall ... 4 steel tread

@a.greenspan this a pic from you?

E59D934A-3FA9-4548-9D2A-597C18C62A24.jpeg

I put 7.5r16 KM3 on my 40. Used Vision 40sm-6683 steel wheels. $165 for 5 wheels delivered to my house. Scuffed and painted gray. Turned out great. 7 inch wide wheel, 3.5 inch backspace.
20180704_210342.jpg
20180720_205347.jpg
20180721_192335.jpg

Can’t recall exactly the original poster of this pic... think either mark w or ...
@a.greenspan this a pic from you?
No, Sir....
I only post pics of unmolested 45s :)
like this one a blue Nicaragua can (picture not by me got it from a Costa Rica citizen )

Land_Cruiser_and_platanos2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom