15b-ft or not to be? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the 14B T is a rare beast. I think only a limited number in Dyna and Toyoace mid 90s, model code(there are others) BU96-MDDTX

So let’s see if we can spark some life back into this thread please if we can?

I’m doing the same conversion myself currently 15b-ft into a 1978 bj43 original motor is the ‘b’ engine with a manual 4 speed..

Having removed the original engine and box from the vehicle I can see there’s no way that the 4 speed could easily be mated up to the 15b-ft while using the larger flywheel and 300mm clutch.

From looking around I can see there’s a few r150 gearboxes available here, if I’m right I’ve read some where that the r15x gearboxes where fitted to the hz motors and not as heavy duty as the h15x boxes fitted to the turbo hd motors is that correct?

I’m wondering if an r150 would fit the 15b-ft and would it be up to the job?

Or if there’s anyone who knows of a gearbox or a bel housing that might help me out to either keep the four speed or mate up one of the r150’s that’s for sale?

Perhaps this thread could help...

Perhaps this thread could help...
@Greek Cruiserhead

Thanks that’s a good thread, which I hadn’t seen, there’s a lot of really useful info on there too.. I think I’d really like to try and keep the larger flywheel/ clutch option..

I’ve been digging around all day and from what I can see there’s a toyota bell housing part number 31111 60230 available which looks like it should marry up to both the 15b-ft and the old 4 speed, for now until I can get my hands on a later type h55f, in which case the same bell housing should still fit.

That’s what I’ve worked out so far, it’s all just guess work and lots of reading at this point, with a bit of luck I’m on the right track ?

Having removed the original engine and box from the vehicle I can see there’s no way that the 4 speed could easily be mated up to the 15b-ft while using the larger flywheel and 300mm clutch.

There's a few clutch configurations. If you have a 15BFT with the inline pump from a coaster, it might have the large flywheel with the 2 piece bellhousing. You may need to find the smaller 8 bolt flywheel from a late 3B/13BT/14B etc (earlier B stuff is 6 bolt and won't fit) . I ordered mine brand new but they are getting very pricey especially with shipping costs, so a used one will be far better value, can dig up the PN if you have trouble finding one.

The 15B series will mount to the earlier B series bellhousings, but you may need to touch a few places with the grinder for pressure plate clearance. This info has all been covered in most threads and in Havaard's engine swap blog (check it out if you haven't already: 15B-F engine in a Land Cruiser BJ42 - https://strandensgarage.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/15b-f-engine-in-a-land-cruiser-bj42/) .

If you have the early 4sp/transfer combo it might be a good idea to seek out a 5sp H55F split case transfer and the cross member etc. If you have to make your own crossmember, use the 70 series gearbox mount as it's flat on the bottom unlike the 40/60 series versions. I think the alloy 70 series bellhousing might have more clutch clearance than the earlier cast iron ones, but it may be clocked a few degrees over (I have an alloy BH in the garage somewhere but have been too lazy to check, and I'm not 100% sure if it was from an import BJ60 or a BJ7X series)

Let us know how you go with the project, I'm about to finish my new shed so I'll be getting stuck into my 15BFT swap again soon - you can check out my neglected 15BFT into BJ42 thread here:

There's a few clutch configurations. If you have a 15BFT with the inline pump from a coaster, it might have the large flywheel with the 2 piece bellhousing. You may need to find the smaller 8 bolt flywheel from a late 3B/13BT/14B etc (earlier B stuff is 6 bolt and won't fit) . I ordered mine brand new but they are getting very pricey especially with shipping costs, so a used one will be far better value, can dig up the PN if you have trouble finding one.

The 15B series will mount to the earlier B series bellhousings, but you may need to touch a few places with the grinder for pressure plate clearance. This info has all been covered in most threads and in Havaard's engine swap blog (check it out if you haven't already: 15B-F engine in a Land Cruiser BJ42 - https://strandensgarage.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/15b-f-engine-in-a-land-cruiser-bj42/) .

If you have the early 4sp/transfer combo it might be a good idea to seek out a 5sp H55F split case transfer and the cross member etc. If you have to make your own crossmember, use the 70 series gearbox mount as it's flat on the bottom unlike the 40/60 series versions. I think the alloy 70 series bellhousing might have more clutch clearance than the earlier cast iron ones, but it may be clocked a few degrees over (I have an alloy BH in the garage somewhere but have been too lazy to check, and I'm not 100% sure if it was from an import BJ60 or a BJ7X series)

Let us know how you go with the project, I'm about to finish my new shed so I'll be getting stuck into my 15BFT swap again soon - you can check out my neglected 15BFT into BJ42 thread here:
@myusername great I was hoping you’d comment somewhere, I’d read through your story with the bell housings in another post somewhere and hoped you’d figured the mystery out.. do you think the 275mm clutch will handle the added power of the 15b-ft?

@myusername great I was hoping you’d comment somewhere, I’d read through your story with the bell housings in another post somewhere and hoped you’d figured the mystery out.. do you think the 275mm clutch will handle the added power of the 15b-ft?

I can't remember the mm sizes off the top of my head, but if 275mm is the "small" version 15BF it should be overkill in a SWB landcruiser. There are people who drilled and tapped the 15BF flywheel to fit the stock (265mm?) landcruiser clutch without issue, but I personally wouldn't do that when it's so easy to clearance the bellhousing and/or take a bit off the edge off the pressure plate and run a full size clutch.

I think there were several clutch arrangements available. I went the cheapskate route and opted for a Valeo setup to suit the largest vehicle they were in which only added about $50, it fits the gearbox and the flywheel, and the throwout bearing contact area seems to be suitable, but haven't tested it in situ with the BJ42 slave as yet.

I believe my friend used a 13BT/BJ74 spec clutch from Exedy, which is an easy way to get an upgraded clutch as they offer several variants. He's had no issues but has said his clutch is heavy with his BJ40 master/slave setup. There are (at least) two versions of the clutch slave and both are similar but have different push rods. The later one has a larger bore and I think I calculated it to have ~15% more area which translates to ~15% more force with more pedal throw/range which might assist.

If you have a Coaster 15BFT similar to mine feel free to PM with any questions. My project is currently stalled for personal reasons, but a mate has completed his and loves it.

That’s right, I was referring to the “smaller” clutch, I’ll get on with trying to source the smaller 8 bolt flywheel then and check which slave cylinder I have.

This was the other option, of that bell housing I was talking about, in theory this should also so the job and retain the larger flywheel and clutch?

I suppose it will come down to which option is more readily available to me here.

Once I’ve got the two mated up, I can get on with sorting the pipework etc, my old girl is 24v already so no need to convert the electrics.

I‘m fairly sure though mine is also from a coaster due to the sump, so I have that to modify, but the other bigger issue I have is i’m missing the exhaust manifold and turbo, my thoughts where to go with a custom manifold and the CT26 turbo, as I‘ve read that the ct26 works well on these engines.

one step at a time though eh? 🤦‍♂️🤣

Thanks for the input, I’ll report back when I’ve something new to report.

CE85E3E8-9F5F-4AB6-8015-56A3E3068DB4.jpeg

That’s right, I was referring to the “smaller” clutch, I’ll get on with trying to source the smaller 8 bolt flywheel then and check which slave cylinder I have.

This was the other option, of that bell housing I was talking about, in theory this should also so the job and retain the larger flywheel and clutch?

I suppose it will come down to which option is more readily available to me here.

Once I’ve got the two mated up, I can get on with sorting the pipework etc, my old girl is 24v already so no need to convert the electrics.

I‘m fairly sure though mine is also from a coaster due to the sump, so I have that to modify, but the other bigger issue I have is i’m missing the exhaust manifold and turbo, my thoughts where to go with a custom manifold and the CT26 turbo, as I‘ve read that the ct26 works well on these engines.

one step at a time though eh? 🤦‍♂️🤣

Thanks for the input, I’ll report back when I’ve something new to report.

View attachment 3066566
I've never heard of H and B engines having the same bellhousing bolt pattern?

275mm clutch should be fine, my hotted up 13bt is running an excedy safari tuff, no problem with 450nm and seems to be able to handle a bit of clutch abuse off road without any issues. I'll most likely use the same clutch on my 15bf/bj73 project.

@Nz Nath thanks that’s good to know, can’t seem to find the 8 bolt smaller flywheel as yet..

regarding the bell housings, this could be me getting my wires crossed, but if I’m not mistaken there’s a BJ7?. With the 1hz in from what I can tell the 1hz got either an r15x gearbox or a h55f I think??

Then the next part of the puzzle is the 15bft was fitted in dyna’s with the 2wd version of the h151/0 (the h154 I think is the 2wd version) so then I’m thinking the h151/0 was fitted in the 80 series with the 1hd-t engines with 300mm 21 spline clutch.

So maybe I’m barking completely up the wrong tree but I’m thinking somewhere there must be a dyna bell housing that fits the 15b-ft and the h15x gearboxes?

Then I discovered the part above which presumably fits the 1hdt and the h55f, and if that’s the case I’m sorted?

or am I just trying to dream parts into existence lol

@Nz Nath thanks that’s good to know, can’t seem to find the 8 bolt smaller flywheel as yet..

regarding the bell housings, this could be me getting my wires crossed, but if I’m not mistaken there’s a BJ7?. With the 1hz in from what I can tell the 1hz got either an r15x gearbox or a h55f I think??

Then the next part of the puzzle is the 15bft was fitted in dyna’s with the 2wd version of the h151/0 (the h154 I think is the 2wd version) so then I’m thinking the h151/0 was fitted in the 80 series with the 1hd-t engines with 300mm 21 spline clutch.

So maybe I’m barking completely up the wrong tree but I’m thinking somewhere there must be a dyna bell housing that fits the 15b-ft and the h15x gearboxes?

Then I discovered the part above which presumably fits the 1hdt and the h55f, and if that’s the case I’m sorted?

or am I just trying to dream parts into existence lol
The dyna15bf bellhousing I have suits the h15x gearbox, but the input shaft length is shorter than the landcruiser boxes.

Basically I think you're confusing the engine side bolt pattern with the gearbox side bolt pattern. The bellhousing you linked to suits the H engine side pattern and the h55f gearbox pattern. The later dyna bellhousings suit the B engine side pattern, and h15x gearbox pattern. You could switch to using a h15x box from an 80/100/76/79, but everything I've read is that they're a longer gearbox, which won't work on a swb application.

I've got my 15bf fitted to the aluminum bj73 bellhousing, the only alteration needed was drilling out one of the starter mounting holes,
But if you were using the stock bj73 starter that wouldn't be necessary

B7259337-18DC-48C2-B9EC-6F281189CD84.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got my 15bf fitted to the aluminum bj73 bellhousing, the only alteration needed was drilling out one of the starter mounting holes,
But if you were using the stock bj73 starter that wouldn't be necessary
Yep I see what your saying, so now I need the illusive 8 bolt flywheel ( if anyone has one or the part number please that would be great) , and also the aluminium bell housing and a good heavy duty clutch kit…

Thanks to everyone, I know it feels like I’ve gone around in circles, but I do appreciate everyone’s input

Yep I see what your saying, so now I need the illusive 8 bolt flywheel ( if anyone has one or the part number please that would be great) , and also the aluminium bell housing and a good heavy duty clutch kit…

Thanks to everyone, I know it feels like I’ve gone around in circles, but I do appreciate everyone’s input

You may be able to use your existing bellhousing, see if it fits with the clutch and new flywheel. If you have a BJ40, one of the mounts may be off the bellhousing? (I'm not familiar with anything earlier than my '81). Excedy safari tough to suit a BJ74 should fit and be more than capable.

Yup pretty sure plenty of people have used older cast iron bellhousings with 275mm clutch and just ground to suit.

My 13bt is mated to a 10spline h55f using an old dyna aluminum bellhousing. It had a 260mm clutch in it which had been ground to fit. I upgraded to the 275mm safari tuff, and needed to grind the pressure plate cover where the springs are, and ground some of the ribs in the bellhousing.

@myusername @Nz Nath

Thanks fellas, I’ve found the part number for the smaller diameter 8 bolt flywheel now and hopefully i can get one shipped out on Monday. Like you both suggest I think I’ll use the existing cast iron bell housing and go from there. 👍

So I’ve managed to track down and order the smaller 14bt flywheel, For now I’ve bolted the the h41 with cast bell housing up to the 15bft and dropped it in the vehicle to try and figure out some of the plumbing.

I’ve used the original mounts from the b engine as suggested, but I’ve had to swap them side to side in order to help with clearance between the battery bracket that bolts to the chassis and the timing case / power steering pump, I suppose they’ll have to be some more modifications yet..

What concerns me most is the engine seems to be leaning to the left side of the vehicle by 2-3° I wonder if anyone else has noted this when doing this conversion?

I’ve ordered new engine mounts which may account for some of the tilt, so I’ll have another look at this when they show up, my other concern is the sump ( oil pan) I’ve modified it by temporarily cutting the “wing” off that interferes with the front axle, but I really don’t like it, and I think it may cause oil scavenging issues down the line if I left it like this.

Does anybody know if the 13bt sump /
Oil Pan from a Bj74 or similar fit? If not what have others used… I’m prepared to make a custom one if I have to, but I’d prefer a factory finish if I could.
19B616A4-4727-43AB-81AB-830906A0014D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom