15" vs 16" Wheels Pros and Cons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've always had problems finding the correct backspacing for my 60 and 70 switching to 16's. Didn't realize i had to buy wheels from above suggested resources, so i've been running wheel spacers since forever. I hate using wheel spacers.
This has nothing to do with tires, but did you buy that fire truck from the guy in Vancouver? I test drove it, seriously considered it.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with tires, but did you buy that fire truck from the guy in Vancouver? I test drove it, seriously considered it.
I won mine at an auction in Japan and had it brought in by Forthright Trading. Wanted an original low Km cruiser with a box and this was basically my only option. Still building it. It's a lot of work ngl. Mike got one shortly after and grinded hard on his build, did the roof, rear panel, box and paint, you've probably seen it, green hzj75 4 door pickup. One other guy in Vernon is doing a conversion too, he's got a build thread going. So there's a couple around for sure.

Does moving to 16" wheels remove/lessen the backspacing consideration?

Everything I've read regarding wheels is there is a max limit of around 3.5" backspacing to clear the ball joint which is hard to find on pretty much everything. But it appears the Vintiques work at 16x7 with 4" backspacing. Would love to run a 16x7 or 8" on 255/85/16 or 285/75/16 without spacers.

No need to run spacers. @reddog90 isn’t.
Right, but curious if moving to 16" means I can shop a variety of wheels with different backspacing & widths, or if there's additional constraints at backspacing with the new diameter.

Vintiques look backordered on Summit, but looking at some OEM Tacoma steelies which are 16x7 of unknown backspacing and about $100 each.

Right, but curious if moving to 16" means I can shop a variety of wheels with different backspacing & widths, or if there's additional constraints at backspacing with the new diameter.

Vintiques look backordered on Summit, but looking at some OEM Tacoma steelies which are 16x7 of unknown backspacing and about $100 each.

I wouldn't gamble on Taco rims unless you can get a backspace quote from the seller. If you buy em, you're stuck with them and you'll have to run spacers at that point if they don't have the right back spacing.

If you're gonna run spacers you may as well have a cool wheel, not some lame steelies.

Look into 17" options? I hear there is more backspacing options in 17's but i haven't started the search journey yet.

I wouldn't gamble on Taco rims unless you can get a backspace quote from the seller. If you buy em, you're stuck with them and you'll have to run spacers at that point if they don't have the right back spacing.

If you're gonna run spacers you may as well have a cool wheel, not some lame steelies.

Look into 17" options? I hear there is more backspacing options in 17's but i haven't started the search journey yet.
I'm looking the maximum backspacing with a 16" wheel? The Vintiques are 4" and people run without spacers, so assuming that?

With 15" wheels I have read anything from 3.25-3.75 is max before needing spacers.

I'm looking the maximum backspacing with a 16" wheel? The Vintiques are 4" and people run without spacers, so assuming that?

With 15" wheels I have read anything from 3.25-3.75 is max before needing spacers.
I run the Vintiques in 16x7 with no spacers. Summit specs them as having 4" backspacing.

Stock front end (ball joints, calipers, etc). No issues.

As for the Tacoma spares/take-offs - all I know is what I have read here on Mud over the years. They need spacers.

Another vote for the 16s. Better tire selection and you can use bigger brakes underneath them. Are there any pros to the 15" besides retaining factory size??

These are the 70 series wheels like others in this thread and are on 255/85/16 Yoko Geolander MT G003 tires which are also awesome. Balance up with no issues. Bought them from my local Toyota dealer.

View attachment 3125687

View attachment 3125688

View attachment 3125689

View attachment 3125690

View attachment 3125691
Love your setup- Will that wheel and tire fit under a FJ60? thx

I run the Vintiques in 16x7 with no spacers. Summit specs them as having 4" backspacing.

Stock front end (ball joints, calipers, etc). No issues.

Vintiques might have a 4" Offset and im sure it works, what size tire? i have 315/75/R16... their WIDE

Backspace isnt everything, you also want to see how it sits, some wheels are dished too far in. i like to see the trad of my tire just to the point where its about to poke outside of the wheel well/ flair. Maximum articulation and no risk to inside rub.

I was running R16's w/ 5" offset & 1.5" spacers on 255/75/r16 ToyoM55's on Daytona wheels. They sat and ran great. Downside -spacers

Maybe these Vintiques are the way to go. I'm probably still going to look into 17's when i burn these 35's off.

From the other wheel thread, these look stock ish and in various sizes including 17s. Not sure how hard it would be to get domestically in the US

Multiple pictures in this thread of that exact setup.
Only one picture that i saw that was 100% 16' wheel with a 33" tire set up mounted under the cruiser- and he was off road. Did he have to rig it for the day? IDK. My 60 is a daily driver and I hunt and fish off very suspect roads, I wanted to make sure it would fit securely before dropping two dimes, without a rear bumper carrier- thanks :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom