13 MPG Hwy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmmm....gas gas I got gas, oh I mean need gas :=]
Price-Of-Gas-Photo.jpg

my 07 lx470 is stock. according to the trip computer, I get 14mpg running at 80 mph. my guess is plus size tires would reduce my mpg by 1 to 13mpg. Sure am glad that gas is cheap!

I'm averaging around 13.3 with lift and 285s, lots of driving in traffic

I wonder who can get the worst gas mileage... let's all floor it around town for a tank or two and start posting up some numbers.

I'm in, you'll just need to come to Missouri. :cool:

All summer I have been getting about 13 with most city driving. On the Interstate, which I don't drive much I can hit the 15. It's amazing a 15 year old vehicle hits the EPA estimates dead on.

I'll admit it, I am a fuel nerd. I track the fuel in all my vehicles with the "Road Trip" app. I top off every tank and document the numbers in the app. I have been tracking my Cruiser since I bought it 40k miles ago. I highly recommend the app if your a data nerd that loves tracking fuel. I never trust the trip computers, I always go by the miles traveled divided by fuel purchased.

I average 14.5 between city and highway driving. On tanks where its mostly city driving I tend to see numbers right about 12 mpg, give or take .5 mpg. Stock 2000 LC with Goelander 285/75R16 AT tires., staying up to date on all regular preventative maintenance. On road trips I cruise right abut 65 to try and crank out the mileage and save a few $$$ on fuel. I have hit +20 mpg a handful of times. I know these beasts are not built for mileage, but it is possible to get decent mileage if you are patient. I run a bottle or two of Sea Foam on big trips, its the only fuel additive I have found that actually produces results. It drives my wife nuts when I refuse to hit 70 mph but I'm always trying to set a new personal record when given the chance on long trips. Even easier to drive slower when you're going to visit the in-laws. :rofl: Im interested to see how that changes after a lift and larger tires.

I love the phrase "its not what you drive, but how you drive it." I got my '99 F-350 4-door, dually 4x4 7.3 diesel to hit 21 mpg twice. That monster weights 9,300 lbs empty and was certainly not build to be easy on the wallet.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_6472.PNG

Sweet app "fuel nerd" :rofl:. Lol. it's hard to stay under 70 in places like Utah where the speed limit 80 in some places and people are driving 85-90

Wow, sweet app. Except, I drove my LX 35k miles last year. No f-in way I wanna see that daily breakdown.

OP, 13 mpg is normal. I'd be alarmed at 6.

Sweet app "fuel nerd" :rofl:. Lol. it's hard to stay under 70 in places like Utah where the speed limit 80 in some places and people are driving 85-90
HAHAHA!! Im on a vacation road trip in Utah right now. Don't worry though, I stay in the far right lane while I drive like grandma. You know its bad when the big rigs pass you going uphill in Parleys canyon. I do love the 80 mph speed limits, but I hate how much it costs me to drive that fast.

I was averaging about 20-21 mpg on highway. Then I realized the tank is greater than 20 gallons. I now average ~16 mpg mixed driving. It's a 2007 LX with 138k miles.

My dd besides the cruiser is an 05 TL 6 MT that is fast as fu*k and still gets 25 around town 30+ on a trip but the cruiser is a tank and I don't care about mpg!!

Try using DENSO Platinum Twin Tip plugs (TT). I switched to these plugs and noted a significant improvement in the highway MPG. I recently did 252 miles with a full tank at 79 MPH cruise nearly 90% of the time. I noticed I still have 1/4 tank left (apprix. 14.5 MPG). Before these Denso plugs I had regular copper plugs and the max MPG was at 13.0 at above conditions.

I now learned it is best not to zero the trip counter at the gas pump... just drive and enjoy the truck. I got a 4-cylinder toyota sprinter to do my city running and cannot complain!

i got 16 HWY for 2500 miles driving from FL to CA with 2 ppl, a large dog and all my possessions

11-12 mpg no matter which gas I use, city/hwy, how fast I drive (minus trail crawls), loaded or unloaded, I've just given up. I blame the 33's, lift, and rack.

I've stopped caring what my MPG's are. Other than putting in higher than normal PSI in my tires, nothing effects my gas mileage. We tracked our mileage on our trip to HIH this year...I think we got up to 14 once or twice a fill up loaded down. I've come to the conclusion that we drive LC/LX's for everything BUT MPG's.

And just in case you're not accounting for your different tire size in your calc, check out here:
275/70-R16 vs 275/70-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

I can see mine are running 6% less to the odometer than to the road, so if I think I get 250 miles on a tank it is really ~265 <yay!> an instant "gain" of 0.7 mpg on my truck ;) Which is still 11-12 mpg :frown:

And (I can't myself here) YMMV...

This should make you feel better.

T2FDjao.png

I just came back from a 4500mile road trip. Co to NY, 3 adults and gear about 900lbs. I averaged about 13.8-14.6 over the whole trip. I also set the cruise at 80, and always use premium 91/93 octane

Just want to say I got 17mpg (according to the trip computer) on the 450 mile or so drive from Santa Cruz to San Deigo, not bad for a 2006 large SUV with 200k miles

avg speed was just 60mph with the stops on I5 and mountain roads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom