12Ht into FJ73 can it be done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hay guys looking into replacement engine for a tired 3f in an FJ-73 MWB.

drove an auto 12ht (hj61rg) and fell in love but am unable to bring myself to sell the ole FJ

Has some one managed to shoe horn the 12Ht in to one of these or would i be best to start with a BJ (if i could bring my self to sell the ole girl) as the short wheel base suites my needs

thanks

You can get a BJ with the 13BT which as far as power goes is pretty much on par with the 12HT. If you get a non-turbo BJ you can replace the 3B with a 13BT or a 14BT, both of these engines will bolt into the originals mounts so it is a pretty easy conversion. I recommend searching through the diesel section there are plenty of posts that should help with your decision.

What market is your fj73 from I did not know they put a 3f into the 70 series.
12ht should be the same lenght as a 3f maybe a little wider and alot heavier.
3B or 13bt motor would be simpler since they were a standard engine in 70s till the 1Hz was used.

What market is your fj73 from I did not know they put a 3f into the 70 series.
12ht should be the same lenght as a 3f maybe a little wider and alot heavier.
3B or 13bt motor would be simpler since they were a standard engine in 70s till the 1Hz was used.

The 3F came in 62/73/75 series landcruisers from '85 to '90 and is a fuel hungry POS. Also, we had the 2H in HJ 75s, so a few bits from one of these, plus a 12HT would set you going.

yes it can and has been done before.

The 3F came in 62/73/75 series landcruisers from '85 to '90 and is a fuel hungry POS. Also, we had the 2H in HJ 75s, so a few bits from one of these, plus a 12HT would set you going.

and the 3f came in the 70 also ,and the 3f was in the 75 series sept 92, i find the 2h to be a way bigger pos than the 3f:cool: but the 12ht would be pretty cool

Thanks guys for all the input.

The 3F has to go and have been doing further research, alot of people are putting the 1Hz in is this better than the 12ht

Thanks guys for all the input.

The 3F has to go and have been doing further research, alot of people are putting the 1Hz in is this better than the 12ht

Now were talking (if were talking diesel )
a lot more power to be made, a lot smother more quiet motor than the old tractor 2h motor

have you thought about a 1fz-fe motor which is the petrol 6 like in the fzj75 or fzj79 utes and troopys
these motors go really well even better in the swb and mwb
YouTube - ‫ربع تويوتا وربع نيسان‬‎
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trFpnj8r-nE&feature=related
all depends in what you want to gain from a engine conversion and what u want to use/ set up the cruiser for

If you go 12 HT you can keep your old H55F with a bellhousing swap , with a 1HZ you need a new gearbox as the input shaft is different.
Dave

cambelt-

most 10/85 (october 1985) and later production H55 transmissions can EASILY have the input swapped out in 1 hour from a gas to HZ style input.

pn is 33311-60170 HZ input for H55.

Dieseler:
They put about every engine in the 70 series, lucky ones got 6 cylinders of all flavors.

Original poster:
While the 12H-T is a good engine, remember it is now at least 20 years old with limited parts support. A 1HZ, a turbo 1HZ, or a factory 1HD-T or 1HDFT are better options as they are several years newer.

12HT can use the same tranny as your 3F, bonus.
12HT is a dated engine so take that into consideration.
the 1HZ is an easy (not direct bolt in) swap but you will need a tranny to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom