12HT diesel engine swap for 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a chance to buy a 12ht desiel engine at a good price and replace it with the stock 2H engine. Anyone running the 12ht engine pro's/cons fuel comsumption besides turbocharged. Anyone done the swap. Is the bell houseing the same any major mods that have be done to complete the swap.
thanks

There are no major mods that need to be done. Some of the wiring and throttle linkage will be different but can be pieced together. The mileage will be better with the 12HT since it won't be underpowered anymore. It is like night and day between the two engines, smoother, more powerful, and enjoyable to drive.

Probably the easiest swap of all for a Toyota.What cruiser are you swapping it into?. With a bit more boost on the turbo it will be a flyer.:cheers:

Last edited:
86HJ said:
Have a chance to buy a 12ht desiel engine at a good price and replace it with the stock 2H engine. Anyone running the 12ht engine pro's/cons fuel comsumption besides turbocharged. Anyone done the swap. Is the bell houseing the same any major mods that have be done to complete the swap.
thanks

Have you driven a 12HT equipped truck? Shoot an e-mail to us from our website and come out to visit and see for yourself. We can talk about swap issues at the same time. We are 40 minutes away to the east down 16th Ave from where you are.

gb

I don't know about doing the swap but I do drive a 12 HT and love it. I have driven the 2 H in the past and like he said above it is like night and day. There is no question.... You'll LOVE it!!!!

crushers said:
the 12HT doesn't have very long legs but it is plenty powerful and fun to drive...

If you're talking about high rpm performance (relatively speaking) of the inline pump vs a rotory style of the 1HZ/1HD-T then for sure. The inline makes up for that from being oil lubricated, and very robust. If you mean long legs in terms of longevity, then the 12HT does very well. In fact, probably one of the best. I think you are talking about top end performance though...

gb

agreed, the manual 12HT seems to have very short legs, the auto on the other hand runs just fine and i agree the 12HT is one tough beast according to what i have read.
i think a 12HT in a FJ45 would be a sweet rig to own. power to tow or pass, excellent fuel economy (compared to the old 2F) but still the torque to get the job done on or off the road.
cheers

crushers said:
agreed, the manual 12HT seems to have very short legs, the auto on the other hand runs just fine cheers

I wonder how much of that is the JDM's coming over with 4:11's for the most part, the H55F gearing, and any close to stock sized wheels will have the gears awful short, and you in 5th idling around town. We are assessing an early model HJ61 right now with 3:70's and it's not hard to get into 5th in a few short strokes.

gb

Is istill interesting .. I thought my GX HJ-60 come with 4.11 but not .. it comes with 3.70 with the 2H. And Gas powered comes here in Panamá with 4.11.

right if you think the gas engine need more help ( reduction ). But also all BJ-60 comes with 4.11 :frown: And I'm think the 3B engine have really short legs .. ( same as 2H and 12H-T engines . ? ) maybe ..

depends, here in Canada all the auto 60s had 4.11 gears, all the manual 60s all had 3.7 gears.

crushers said:
factory 3.7 in a HJ61!!
interesting.

When all else fails, check the build plate....Older HJ61's had some units that came with 05 on the tag.

gb

my 86 hj61 came with 3.70 gears.I didn't like them at first but now with bigger tires it seems to be much better on the highway. Lost a little at the low end but with the h55 and what I use the truck for I still have more than enough low end grunt.

i can see the 3.7 being a great gearing for the HJ61, better fuel milage, longer legs and lower rpm for a quieter ride and a better top end to boot..
cheers

crushers said:
i can see the 3.7 being a great gearing for the HJ61, better fuel milage, longer legs and lower rpm for a quieter ride and a better top end to boot..

Now all you need is PROPANE ......:cool:

snowking said:
crushers said:

Now all you need is PROPANE ......:cool:

In due time.:cool: :cool: :cool:

After the new tires the top end was way better. After increasing boost and the new tires I was getting about 20km per hr better in the same rpm range.

Much better uptake too in 4th and 5th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom