Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty sure the HiH thread record for fastest time to comms discussion has been set here. :)
I was hoping to get lucky with a golden ticket this year for all the promise of good food, great scenery and fireside camraderie. If the primary topic of conversation is comms my grandmother will be laughing down at me from heaven. She always warned me, be careful what you wish for o_O

You know i carry a full spare comms setup! You nailed it. My spare is absolutely two cans connected by string, AND it is the overlander approved fully upgraded model that comes with a FULLY waxed string, giving me crystal clear comms out to max range, nothing but the best for me :)

I remember reading the cb thread last year and stressing out as newbie and first timer. Worked out super easy. Got a portable radio and magnetic antenna from Amazon. Spliced it to power by cigarette lighter. Worked like a charm on the trail out of the box. No issues all week.

Comms...last one.

Have a working CB. Yes, it's old school, but a CB is required to attend HIH. Chris and I spoke again tonight about it. I'm putting in a call to my contact at Midland to see about the possibility of getting +/-100 GMRS radios. We don't like the idea of forcing everyone to buy a new radio and the required license to use it. Only family members can share a license.

FRS isn't strong enough for use in the mountains. It's fine for car to car, but not when there is 10+ trucks spread out on a trail and around a mountain.

We will most likely have a CB kit available at the event for someone to purchase if their unit fails. I have had the same CB setup for 10 years. I use this radio and a Little Will mag mount antenna. It sits on a shelf in my garage and is only used for Cruise Moab and HIH. Takes me less than two minutes to plug it in, run the antenna out the door and stick it to the roof.

HAM radio is great, but not required for HIH and it is NOT a substitute for CB. We will list a HAM frequency for all trails, but it's mostly for trail leaders to communicate with each other on different runs far apart and for emergencies.

If you don't like to listen to a lot of jibber jabber, you probably do not want to be on a trail that Chris and I are on together. Chris will most likely say something he shouldn't. ;)

I feel like a douche every year when this comm discussion gets going. We want everyone to have a CB and be involved. There are a lot of times when someone needs to ask a question or warn the driver in front of them of a bad line or a hazard on the trail. Being on a trail led by Josh is a great experience and you'll want to be able to hear what he's saying. He's been guiding in the area for years and is a wealth of knowledge. It's part of the experience that we want attendees to have. We get it, CB's are old school. They're still the best option for what we do.

I'll follow up after I hear back from my contact at Midland. For now, grab your trucker hat and git yer CB lingo down, good buddy.

Comms...last one.

Have a working CB. Yes, it's old school, but a CB is required to attend HIH. Chris and I spoke again tonight about it. I'm putting in a call to my contact at Midland to see about the possibility of getting +/-100 GMRS radios. We don't like the idea of forcing everyone to buy a new radio and the required license to use it. Only family members can share a license.

FRS isn't strong enough for use in the mountains. It's fine for car to car, but not when there is 10+ trucks spread out on a trail and around a mountain.

We will most likely have a CB kit available at the event for someone to purchase if their unit fails. I have had the same CB setup for 10 years. I use this radio and a Little Will mag mount antenna. It sits on a shelf in my garage and is only used for Cruise Moab and HIH. Takes me less than two minutes to plug it in, run the antenna out the door and stick it to the roof.

HAM radio is great, but not required for HIH and it is NOT a substitute for CB. We will list a HAM frequency for all trails, but it's mostly for trail leaders to communicate with each other on different runs far apart and for emergencies.

If you don't like to listen to a lot of jibber jabber, you probably do not want to be on a trail that Chris and I are on together. Chris will most likely say something he shouldn't. ;)

I feel like a douche every year when this comm discussion gets going. We want everyone to have a CB and be involved. There are a lot of times when someone needs to ask a question or warn the driver in front of them of a bad line or a hazard on the trail. Being on a trail led by Josh is a great experience and you'll want to be able to hear what he's saying. He's been guiding in the area for years and is a wealth of knowledge. It's part of the experience that we want attendees to have. We get it, CB's are old school. They're still the best option for what we do.

I'll follow up after I hear back from my contact at Midland. For now, grab your trucker hat and git yer CB lingo down, good buddy.

The problem comes with everyone wanting to reinvent the wheel. People needing to buy a setup just need ANY decently reviewed CB radio from Amazon, and the key to success is getting one of those mag mount Lil Wil antennas. The Lil Wil is super easy to tune. They rock. Boom. Problem solved for $80 below with a Uniden Pro505XL and Lil Wil. Both from Amazon. We just need some Amazon lockers in Silverton to overnight everything to when people show up with the fancy setups that don't work as well!

The CB search: Amazon.com: cb radio: Electronics

Last edited:
Having a celebratory drink after talking to Tim and placing my first order in preparation of HIHX. I love a nice rack! Thanks @nakman !!!!

8081C267-9DEC-402F-886B-3817CE971B1C.jpeg

Still need a PA system for the dinner! Someone has to have a portable karaoke machine or something.
Well I was going to surprise you all with that, but may as well spill it. I've got this covered... @paflytyer Gamiviti's bringing a PA, and karaoke. :)

we'll still come up with a few more surprises though.

Heck yeah! Gamiviti glasses are like 75% of the reason to do to HIH!
Dang, that quote needs to go on the website, or a t-shirt, or maybe the glasses this year... :hmm:

Having a celebratory drink after talking to Tim and placing my first order in preparation of HIHX. I love a nice rack! Thanks @nakman !!!!

View attachment 2227321
Welcome to the club, best investment I have made!! @nakman made it even more awesome when he hand delivered it to my site last year!! Support the vendors that do so much for our 100's!! I think the rack will get your launch angle right to achieve the largest water crossing in HIH history, I mean you have the biggest the past two years!!

Funny, when I attended HIH8, I never even bothered reading these threads and don’t recall this much walkie talkie talk back then. I didn’t even have any kind of radio and did just fine.

Welcome to the club, best investment I have made!! @nakman made it even more awesome when he hand delivered it to my site last year!! Support the vendors that do so much for our 100's!! I think the rack will get your launch angle right to achieve the largest water crossing in HIH history, I mean you have the biggest the past two years!!
Wait a minute- didnt he also install it for you too? 🤐

Funny, when I attended HIH8, I never even bothered reading these threads and don’t recall this much walkie talkie talk back then. I didn’t even have any kind of radio and did just fine.
I just hate missing out on the chatter. Because of the limitations of CB, even with a well tuned setup if you are near the front or back of the line you can miss out on a lot. I love being on the runs that Chris and Stan are on together, just listening to them is half the fun.

I’m going to show up with a CB, ham, FRS and GMRS just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom