$10k 97 Fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do you all think $10K is a good price for a '97 FZJ80 with 150,000+ miles? I'm going to look at it tomorrow. How many miles could one expect to get out if it, assuming it's been well taken care of and in good shape, 250,000? I've been assuming any 80 I get is going to need porbably $2K or so of maintenance right off the bat. Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Sounds pretty good, if well maintained, I would expect 300k+ without too much trouble.

As you know, there's pretty much no answer to this question. It's a good deal if it's in nice shape, it's a bad deal if it's beat and neglected. 150,000+ miles is also kinda vague.

As for how many miles to expect, I'll be disappointed if mine isn't running well without any rebuilding at 400,000 miles. I see you're no stranger to Cruisers, but a bit of searching will reveal the things to look for on an 80. $2k would buy you a ton of maintenance if you're going to do it yourself. I am over the top and spent $1200 or so on my second one, which includes things that were just PM.

If it has lockers and has been semi well maintained I would say it sounds like a good deal. But as Doug previously stated there are alot of variable's that go into it. If your not all that familiar with the 80 I would suggest printing out Slee's 80 guide for newbies and taking it with you as it lists item by item things to look for and then report back on what you find and a more educated response can be given. HTH

hatfieldcb said:
Do you all think $10K is a good price for a '97 FZJ80 with 150,000+ miles? I'm going to look at it tomorrow. How many miles could one expect to get out if it, assuming it's been well taken care of and in good shape, 250,000? I've been assuming any 80 I get is going to need porbably $2K or so of maintenance right off the bat. Any wisdom would be appreciated.

I have 2 80 LC's, my 93 with very close to 300k miles is running quite good for the repairs put into it.

And.

I got another, 96 with lockers 145k for $6995 and it's in great condition.

The only possible difference between me and you is I'll search a year for the right price to vehicle combo.

IMO the prices are only going down.

Also, if you want a real deal, you can probably pick up a green 100 rear lockers for $13.5k with less than 100k. The deal would be in a resale but definitely not in repairs compared to an 80.

I looked at this 80 today. Forgot to being my camera, so no pics, sorry. Looks real nice. As long as a compression test turns out OK tomorrow I'll probably buy it. I don't see any drips coming from the underside. Looks like the front axle needs servicing. No suprise. But the leather is in pretty good shape. The back seat has a lot of lines in the leather and looks like it needs a cleaning. The paint looks great. There are a few dings and scratches, but not bad at all. Maroon red, lockers and third seat. :D

I could be a new 80 owner by tomorrow! :cool: I promise some pics if I am.

I knew you would get one. Buy it and bring it to the meeting next week!

Colorado seems to be the place to go for cruisers. Houston, DFW, San Antonio are all priced high- folks want them for novelties.

I've narrowed much of my search to Colorado.

I've been looking a while and just got a nice '97 with 106K miles for $13,500 (in California which is a bit over norm) and thought it a good deal - right on KBB private party. At a saving of $3500 for 40,000 miles it seems comparable. Check with KBB "private party" valuations as they are pretty much the best most of us can do.

I'm a little concerned now. I just ran a Carfax report and there was an entry from a "vehicle repair facility" in 2003 at 115,000 miles. I looked the car over pretty extensively on the outside today and the paint looked almost pristine except for a few minor scratches, chips and dings.. There was "color" on the underside of the rear corners, but doesn't that happen at the factory, too? The only other thing that caught my eye was some kind of pink coloring showing through the undercoating on the left rear wheel well. Could that be filler of some kind? Why would anyone put filler in a wheel well? I looked pretty close at the body, especially in the rear, and it looked great to me. I'm going to ask the seller, a broker, to try and find out from the PO what the "repair" was. Maybe it was nothing. I did notice the windshield was not Toyota. Maybe that's what it was. :confused:

Not totally sure, but I think some dealers report repairs and/or routine maintenance, not neccessarily major stuff, so it's hard to say about the carfax.

No, there would not be overspray back there from the factory. Pink stuff could be anything, but a lot of the cheap body fillers are pink. Take a second look. Be sure when you first start the car (or simply turn the key to 'run') that the ABS and Airbag lights go on for a few seconds, then off. That's the system checking itself and concluding it's OK. Shady places will simply disconnect these lights after major repairs involving airbags to save money. Also, a medium phillips screwdriver will take both tail lights off in about 30 seconds and if there's been major rear end damage you'll likely see paint spray in those cavities. Open the fuel door and carefully look there for a paint edge/overspray. Pull the jack cover (left rear in cargo area) and you'll be staring right at the inside of the sheetmetal and should be able to discern major rear collision work. Check that both rear fender flares and the rubber strip are properly mounted - looseness or hokey reattachment are common with repairs here. Finally, bring old clothes or a blanket and a VERY bright flashlight to examine the underside around the bumper mounts, etc.

Hope it checks out clean as that's my favorite color and I wanna see a picture!!

DougM

OK. I did it. Pulled the trigger. I couldn't detect any body work. (Of course after IdahoDoug's post I will do some more inspecting).

So here it is. Pretty good, eh? 152,000 miles is a little more than I had wished, but for $10k? The dealer I bought it from was a little sheepish cause he didn't know what he had. He told me that a couple of times. Said he thought about telling people it was "sold" and then re-listing it next week for $12K. I feel lucky. :D

It runs great. Needs regular stuff, plugs, tranny flush/fill, radiator flush/fill. Some other minor stuff. Needs the front axle service. Maybe a PS pump. Maybe an oil pan gasket, hopefully not a rear main. :eek: The inside was well taken care of. I'm stoked!! ;p
Small FZJ80 #2.JPG
Small FZJ80 #3.JPG
Small FZJ80 #4.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom