100 - what's under my seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While working to mount my Streamlight flashlight in my recently acquired '99 Cruiser, I moved the seats around to facilitate easy access to my mount spot.

Under the drivers seat I noticed a fan-type thingamabob and I am unsure of its usage and purpose. Looking at that spot from under the truck, there are two metal tubes leading to what seems to be the same object. Any idea of what it might be?

Also, under the passenger seat there is a black box with a bunch of wires going to it. It's usage also I am uncertain of. What do you think it could be?

Since you have your seats out crank up the air and see what happens with the fan thingamaboo.

The black box is communist spy electronics.

j/k...most likely it is the controls for anything rearward and in the center console..as well as the seats perhaps.

It is the ejector box with parachute. Please don't press the red button in the center :eek:

Mike

I think the factory amp is under one of the seats.

-Matt

The thing under the drivers seat is the rear heater. Does your '99 have the rear ac in the ceiling? I have one of the few '99s with just rear heat. Supposedly they have one or the other, not both.

Andrew :D

I have both in my 99 LC.

Very cool. How did you mange that? Did you purchase it like that?

Later,

Andrew

I have both rear heat and rear ac in my 99 100. It was bought from the dealer like this.

-Matt

I have seen about 15 99 cruisers and have never seen rear ac and rear heat together. This absolutely does not mean it does not exist. The control for rear heat is on the back of the center console right above the cup holder and the rear ac/rear heat/rear air control is located in the ceiling. I would prefer both and when I purchase another '99 in about 5 years I will look for one with both.

Andrew

all the 100s I saw did not have a heat control in the console. But the heat control in the ceiling does just that. It blows hot air from under the seat... So why have another one?
E

Rear heat was available before the rear climate control and that is just where they put the rear heater controls for the rear passengers.

Andrew

Attention Beowulf:

THIS IS NOT A CRICKET BAT :D

I think that TOY had a switch for rear A/C and rear heat in the dash plus the controls behind. I saw some 100's here with it and my 80 has it too. Center Dash down on the right is the rear heat button and next to it the rear A/C. But meantime I have seen so many different setups that I think almost everything is and was possible from TOY.

Mike

As I read it/understand it from the manual, the rear heat button on my 99 does nothing more than turn on the heater to the rear seats (floor based heat). There is no variable or stage control for the fan speed i.e. it is either on or off and is INDEPENDENT of the rear controls. The rear control is ONLY for A/C although it has temp control that would allow it to go to heater like conditions but with A/C on. The rear control has several options in terms of vent locations (including the same location as the rear heater. Redundant?). My rear system does not get hot. Maybe though, I have not allowed the heat to reach the upper vents (I waited 5 minutes with the engine at normal operating temp). I do not mind b/c the rear heater does the job very well. Actually, it is damn hot on the feet. Seems like the fan speed is set to about 2.5 or medium if you think in terms of your front controls.

Juke

'99 TLC with rear heat and AC. On dashboard, control is just an on/off switch. In third seat area sliding temp scale, from cold to hot, and fan settings.

The LX version of the 100 has independent controls that are basically identical to front controls just in a more condensed version: Upper vents, lower vents, or both can be chosen. There is a sliding scale for climate control temp and seperate buttons for fan speeds. There is also an "auto" button that keeps the rear at the same setting the front is at. The front can turn the rear controls completely on or off but if the rear is not in auto it cannot control the variation of temperature.

Now I gotta go out and play :doh:

Must have changed from 99-03. My manual says nothing of the sort...actually, my manual does not say much at alkl about it. Sort of like we should already know or something. I think it is confusing myself.

well, for once, this makes perfect sense since cold air sinks and hot air rises. Not to mention that you'd want your footsies toasty first, generally, eh?
E

What makes perfect sense? The a/c in the rear has the option of sending a/c to your feet. So, still confusing to me especially since the manual does not explain the interaction of the two WHEN BOTH are being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom