100-Series Windshield Expert in SoCal? (Another Wind-Noise Sufferer) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been living the replacement-windshield nightmare, largely as it's been described in countless threads here but with some unique details. 2001 Land Cruiser purchased in March 2020 with 94k miles, now up to 111k (that's a lot of wind noise in one year!). The story goes:
  • Noticed excessive wind noise/whistling around the upper portion of the windshield on the drive home from buying it
  • Asked AAA if they'd replace the windshield, as there was also a small crack in it. They said sure.
  • I figured a Toyota dealer would be the place to go. Made sure that all OEM parts and glass would be used.
  • After the installation, I still heard excessive wind noise. Started digging around on this forum and learned that installers often use screws rather than rivets to secure the side mouldings.
  • Inspected the vehicle and discovered that the mouldings were indeed secured with fat screws that were also rusty. Turned out the Toyota dealer's installer had reused the fat screws from the previous sloppy installation and just didn't tell me.
  • Toyota agreed to redo the installation, but they had to use the same guy -- that was their only guy. Literally this guy works out of a van and does his work in an alleyway behind the dealership. So don't assume, like I did, that Toyota technicians are gonna be doing the work.
  • He pulls the glass off and I see rust all over the A-pillar below the glass. So, to recap, a Toyota dealership had installed new glass on top of rusty metal without telling me, and then reused the rusty screws for good measure.
  • I got the dealer to agree to repair the rust for my trouble, which is the only good thing about this whole situation. This work was done at a local body shop to a seemingly high standard. They reported that the rivet holes were enlarged due to the screws (shocker), but they sourced larger rivets that would fit.
  • Unfortunately, the same installer once again put the glass in, because he's Toyota's guy, and he botched it again. The wind still whistles ridiculously around the side and top of the windshield when I am driving into any kind of headwind or crosswind. I even squirted silicone sealant all over the mouldings to fill in the gaps. Only helped a little. Something must be fundamentally wrong with the installation.
Sorry for the long story. That all happened last summer. Since then I've just been living with it, because clearly this installer can't get the job done, and AAA won't pay for a replacement because their shop didn't do the work.

But, today I find myself at wits' end, ready to bite the bullet. I will pay out of pocket for a new windshield with all the fixings. I just need to find someone in the LA area who can be trusted to install it correctly.

So, does anyone have direct experience with an LA glass shop that did a great job installing a 100-Series windshield? I am so ready to drive into some wind and rejoice at the lack of whistling and buffeting in this otherwise quiet and comfortable cruiser. Hoping to get some good intel here. Thanks.

Thanks guys. Both of those shops look really solid. If anyone else in the LA area has had a delightful windshield replacement experience with a 100, hopefully they can chime in here with the shop that did it so we can have a little hall of fame here. I’m in West LA so both places are a bit far, but honestly I would drive to San Diego if I knew the problem would be fixed.

Thanks guys. Both of those shops look really solid. If anyone else in the LA area has had a delightful windshield replacement experience with a 100, hopefully they can chime in here with the shop that did it so we can have a little hall of fame here. I’m in West LA so both places are a bit far, but honestly I would drive to San Diego if I knew the problem would be fixed.
I don’t mean to interject but anyone reading this post know of a reputable windshield installer in the North East region? I am in Long Island NY but will travel to surrounding states! Thank you in advance.

So I've been living the replacement-windshield nightmare, largely as it's been described in countless threads here but with some unique details. 2001 Land Cruiser purchased in March 2020 with 94k miles, now up to 111k (that's a lot of wind noise in one year!). The story goes:
  • Noticed excessive wind noise/whistling around the upper portion of the windshield on the drive home from buying it

• After the installation, I still heard excessive wind noise. Started digging around on this forum and learned that installers often use screws rather than rivets to secure the side mouldings.
  • Inspected the vehicle and discovered that the mouldings were indeed secured with fat screws that were also rusty. Turned out the Toyota dealer's installer had reused the fat screws from the previous sloppy installation and just didn't tell me.
^^^^

Something like these (off of mine)?

WS screws.jpg

I saved this YouTube video awhile back. Alfredo’s Auto glass in Corona. Guy definitely does a thorough job and understands the complexities and importance of a job well done on our vehicles! I haven’t had to use his services yet but when I do I will give him a call.

I struggled with the same issues with my windshield. I discovered screws installed on the original leaking windshield and also had a decent amount of rust forming and a small hole above the windshield. I had the original windshield removed, fixed the rust and reinstalled with larger plastic coated rivets that I got from Ford. I still struggled with leaks and wind noise on the 2nd windshield and after going back numerous times to the installer and having them add more urethane sealant finally decided to remove the 2nd one. I ended up putting 5mm rivnuts in the A-pillars to make it easier to remove the side moldings. Now if I ever have leaks or need a new windshield I just unbolt the moldings, have the installer replace the glass then I bolt the moldings back up. I've not had any water leaks or wind noise on the 3rd install.

I struggled with the same issues with my windshield. I discovered screws installed on the original leaking windshield and also had a decent amount of rust forming and a small hole above the windshield. I had the original windshield removed, fixed the rust and reinstalled with larger plastic coated rivets that I got from Ford. I still struggled with leaks and wind noise on the 2nd windshield and after going back numerous times to the installer and having them add more urethane sealant finally decided to remove the 2nd one. I ended up putting 5mm rivnuts in the A-pillars to make it easier to remove the side moldings. Now if I ever have leaks or need a new windshield I just unbolt the moldings, have the installer replace the glass then I bolt the moldings back up. I've not had any water leaks or wind noise on the 3rd install.
Any idea what made the third install work to eliminate wind noise?

The wind noise was most likely due to the rivets not fully sealing the holes left by the screws, but the leaks were definitely due to either poor adhesion of the urethane or just not using enough urethane (could visibly see the leaks on the top side of windshield). I was standing there watching during the 2nd install and everything looked good so I’m leaning towards poor adhesion.

Tip-Top Auto and Body in Upland, CA. Ask for Jay the owner, $300 out the door back in February 2021, used OEM Toyota glass check for rust also found that PO replacement windshield used screws instead of rivets and they replaced it to factory spec with rivets and replaced and installed oem windshield weather stripping.

Tip-Top Auto and Body in Upland, CA. Ask for Jay the owner, $300 out the door back in February 2021, used OEM Toyota glass check for rust also found that PO replacement windshield used screws instead of rivets and they replaced it to factory spec with rivets and replaced and installed oem windshield weather stripping.
That’s interesting. You have noticed no unusual wind noise in a headwind/crosswind after the install? And $300, that can’t be for the whole job with all the parts...? The total bill for my botch job at Toyota was around $1,700 I think (I only paid my AAA deductible but have the invoice).

That’s interesting. You have noticed no unusual wind noise in a headwind/crosswind after the install? And $300, that can’t be for the whole job with all the parts...? The total bill for my botch job at Toyota was around $1,700 I think (I only paid my AAA deductible but have the invoice).

Sounds right for labor cost, but yes NO WAY for OEM glass and other parts.

I can’t hear a thing other than my Nitto Trail Grapplers and yes that is the price paid with John Elway Toyota in Ontario, CA delivering the glass the same day. This was out of pocket tax included and no insurance ($300) I live in the mountains so the last snow and rain storm 3 weeks ago and noticed no leaks. Driving up the mountain today with the Santa Ana’s roaring didn’t even noticed that there was wind until I saw all the trees moving.

Sounds right for labor cost, but yes
Total price out the door
That was the price out the door (sales tax, parts, windshield and install). They even price matched with Salinas Toyota and Norm Reeves Toyota in San Diego who usually have the lowest prices on OEM and John Elway matched and beat their prices and got the front windshield for $124.71 for my 98 100 series.

Total price out the door

That was the price out the door (sales tax, parts, windshield and install). They even price matched with Salinas Toyota and Norm Reeves Toyota in San Diego who usually have the lowest prices on OEM and John Elway matched and beat their prices and got the front windshield for $124.71 for my 98 100 series.

OEM (legitimate) windshields generally run about $500.00 just by themselves. Then add the other trim parts.

OEM (legitimate) windshields generally run about $500.00 just by themselves. Then add the other trim parts.
Doubt John Elway Toyota would deliver a non legit windshield (picked it up from their partner dealership Frontier Toyota in Valencia) and that was the quoted price and with price matching and beating it. Salinas Toyota has it for $284 and that was the lowest price earlier this year out of all Toyota dealerships in the lower 48. Yes on Toyota’s parts website is about ballpark to what you said. I’m just going off the work that was done and what I shopped around and paid for the total cost and what I cut the check for. Just passing along helpful info and a place I found that more than met my needs for service. I research everything when I shop and will spend a few days price matching everything throughout the country. I specifically only use Norm Reeves Toyota in San Diego, Toyota of Redlands and John Elway Toyota in Ontario for parts and service as they always will price match and the few places that have master yota techs that have actual wrench time on cruisers. BTW if you guys are ever looking for in stock cruiser parts for 100 series in the SoCal region, it always seems like Frontier Toyota has everything or all parts whenever I get and repairs done that the parts always gets delivered from there.

Toyota has it for $284 and that was the lowest price earlier this year out of all Toyota dealerships in the lower 48. Yes on Toyota’s parts website is about ballpark to what you said. I’m just going off the work that was done and what I shopped around and paid for the total cost and what I cut the check for.

Hell of a deal then. Toyota OEM windshield for $284.00 then only another $16.00 for weatherstripping, Urethane sealant, shop supplies and labor to install.

I saved this YouTube video awhile back. Alfredo’s Auto glass in Corona. Guy definitely does a thorough job and understands the complexities and importance of a job well done on our vehicles! I haven’t had to use his services yet but when I do I will give him a call.

I highly recommend Alfredo's. He did my 06 a few years back. Replaced the screws with rivets, new trim and ground out and primed rusty spots all for a great deal, under $300 at the time, I bought the trim. He definitely knows our vehicles and how to do a proper job.
Wind noise was gone.

Doubt John Elway Toyota would deliver a non legit windshield (picked it up from their partner dealership Frontier Toyota in Valencia) and that was the quoted price and with price matching and beating it. Salinas Toyota has it for $284 and that was the lowest price earlier this year out of all Toyota dealerships in the lower 48. Yes on Toyota’s parts website is about ballpark to what you said. I’m just going off the work that was done and what I shopped around and paid for the total cost and what I cut the check for. Just passing along helpful info and a place I found that more than met my needs for service. I research everything when I shop and will spend a few days price matching everything throughout the country. I specifically only use Norm Reeves Toyota in San Diego, Toyota of Redlands and John Elway Toyota in Ontario for parts and service as they always will price match and the few places that have master yota techs that have actual wrench time on cruisers. BTW if you guys are ever looking for in stock cruiser parts for 100 series in the SoCal region, it always seems like Frontier Toyota has everything or all parts whenever I get and repairs done that the parts always gets delivered from there.
$284 for glass is normally not actual Toyota glass with the Toyota logo. The cheapest 100 series glass I've seen through wholesale dealers is right at $500. Lower than $400 and I'm pretty sure that's just aftermarket glass that the dealership says is "OEM quality".

If you got a Toyota branded glass for under $300 that's pretty amazing. We could buy in bulk at that price and resell to the community while still pulling out a profit. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom