100 series to gx470 am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2005 LC for me and a 2017 GX460 for the wife. The GX is an absolute joy to drive and is an amazing vehicle. The wife loves it as well and plans on replacing with a newer GX when the time comes. Driving the GX makes me want to consider replacing my LC with a LX570. That being said, I'll stick with my LC. Especially if using it for camping and such. The rear door on the GX is convenient at times but also a PITA at times. The split hatch on the LC is perfection, especially when sleeping in it. If I was building a off road / camping / overland rig, the rear door of the GX would be a deal breaker. The kids love the heated captain chairs of the GX but there's no power ports back there and cupholders are almost non-existent. Having added the BT45 bluetooth adapter and BenCC's ram mount for the coin pocket allows me to have a place for everything. There is no good spot to set your phone or put a mount in the GX. When I'm driving the LC, I have a spot and access to everything I need while still being relatively hands free.

Basically, you need to drive both and see what you think. For me, I couldn't make the switch.

It comes down to personal preference, I think the mileage argument is moot since the 2UZFE is one of the best motors Toyota ever produced and there are a lot of people out there with 100K, 200K and even 300K MORE miles than you have on yours.

One thing to consider is that the 100 platform has a lot more aftermarket support than the GX right now. There are more shops making stuff for GXs, but it's not the same.

I prefer the size and build of the Land Cruiser, but I have no issues with a GX.

GX's are awesome. More nimble, maintenance is simplified, broad aftermarket as they share quite a few 4Runner and FJ Cruiser specs, swing door if you like that, less weight, better mileage.

I have a good friend with a GX, and it's really just a grass-is-greener kind of a thing. They are both good vehicles as a 'baseline' with each having its own areas it pulls ahead of the other.

If you're comparing a 100 to the GX, you want to compare "apples to apples" and look at a GX and LX in the same era. In my case I am comparing my '99 LC to a friends 2003 GX. It isn't quite fair as his platform has VVTI and the extra gear, so the best would be to line up year to year and compare specs.

Have never driven a GX, but do toy with the idea of getting one if our Volvo V70 ever dies.

If I were to get one, I'd look hard at an early GX460. I really, really dislike fender flares, which makes me angry at the 470 right out of the gate. And the I'm a fan of the KDSS swaybar disconnect system, which I believe is standard on MY '10 and later. No idea how that 4.6 engine holds up, though. But it has no timing belt, so it's got that going for it . . .

Have never driven a GX, but do toy with the idea of getting one if our Volvo V70 ever dies.

If I were to get one, I'd look hard at an early GX460. I really, really dislike fender flares, which makes me angry at the 470 right out of the gate. And the I'm a fan of the KDSS swaybar disconnect system, which I believe is standard on MY '10 and later. No idea how that 4.6 engine holds up, though. But it has no timing belt, so it's got that going for it . . .
The UR series is one of the best motor series to date for toyota in reliability, output, and mileage.

I gave up my LX for a GX. The GX was nice, but a always kinda regretted it. Way less room and the rear door on the GX is stupid.

We have both a 100 and GX, and the GX is more nimble around town and a great highway vehicle. The extra hp and 5 speed in our 2007 GX is nice, but the newer 100's also have those upgrades. The air suspension in the GX is great for towing. My wife drives the GX. The GX feels slow compared to my 200.

To the OP - are you susceptible to suffering from the equivalent of penis envy? As in, if you owned a Porsche Coxster, would you always be on the lookout for 911s around town?

Aside from gaining a few creature comforts you're losing the rear gull wings and awesome double trunk doors. I too had the dilemma before purchasing my 100 as to whether I should go for a 100 or a GX470. Ultimately after seeing a few GX's on the road I couldn't get over the Honda Accord headlights and overall clown shoe design. Don't get me wrong though, they look AWESOME with a moderate lift and TRD wheels.

8cd32eb76b9095f240f269342c11f7ea.jpg

My recommendation is to find a popular Toyota Facebook group or web forum and offer up a straight across trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom