100 series suspensions options. Tested OEM VS Fox2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to do a quick post to talk about my experience with different suspension setups on the 100 series. Of course this is going to vary on a lot of things, how much added weight do you have and what type of driving do you do being the big 2.

My driving is 20% on road 60% washboard forest roads and 20% 4x4 trails.

• My rig has 170k , no lift , stock tire size. Plenty capable.
  • Bump it off road rear bumper w/ tire swingout and jerry carrier.
  • Front end is going to stay stock weight
  • Air down gear up sleeper platform w/ drawer and lots of gear under it

I went with Fox2.0 all around and OME light/medium springs in the rear to support the added weight. With the fox shocks on washboard roads and even around town, it felt like the body was going to brake off the frame and was very jarring. The shocks were way to stiff for no load in the front. After they began to creak and squeak after 12 months, I decided to go with Toyota OEM in the front and keep my setup in the rear.

What a huge difference,it soaks up the bumps like it should and still has plenty of off road capability. Also when I drop off a curb sized bump, the fox used to hit the bump stops. The OEM handles the drop offs like a champ.

Long story short, pay attention to what the suspension setup your going for is rated at, if you don't have any added weight, and your not going to lift then don't buy old man emu, or fox, or any of these brands that are meant to support that weight/lift just because you want to say you have them installed. The Toyota OEM shock is top notch and meant for these rigs. Not to mention my stock rig with no lift can do anything I throw at it, I suppose if your doing some true off road and rock wheelin' a lift make sense, but not many of us 100 series guys are doing that. Keep it simple.

If anyone has questions about this setup or you want to talk about the options let me know.

Thanks for the post. I am running about 2" lift all around with stock LC torsion bars and brand new OEM Toyota shocks. I also have @TRAIL TAILOR extended sway bar links.
No bumpers but I do have a hidden winch mounted on an aftermarket steel plate. I mostly like the ride and how it handles off road but in pavement in city the E-Rate BHG KO2 AT tires make all the small road imperfections known!
My only complaint with the setup is the amount of body roll I get on turns. I am not sure if an updated sway bar will help but I am not bothered enough to look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom