100 series sleeping setup? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those ExPed mats are amazing. We have two of the MegaMat 10's and wow, what a great nights sleep! I was eyeing the duo but the fridge location made the decision for me...

View attachment 1896062

I went with drawer slides, no regrets. The enjoyment of those super smooth Accuride's lasts a lot longer than the sting of the initial price. The UHMW (or Teflon) strips were a close second... I am interested to hear how they hold up over time. I don't have a pic of the drawer setup but here is the layout.
View attachment 1896067
Hi, nice setup looking to do something similar, btw what bumper is that?

Hi, nice setup looking to do something similar, btw what bumper is that?

Thanks it’s a Slee rear bumper with the single swing out and centered tire carrier. They don’t make it anymore but the new ones are even mo’ better.

Here’s my current setup. The drawers/sleeping platform is one of my favorite mods to the truck yet.

in the wild...
7CC7B15D-E61D-4403-B91D-A47052AE1761.jpeg

It’s great space for one, especially in grizzly country.
843F8F12-8086-4A5B-B161-AE579E8A087E.jpeg

if you camp solo or with one other, the back of the rig is warm, dry, cozy and super comfortable. It’s out of the bugsand away from the critters. Whenever I ride out a storm in the high country I fall asleep with a grin on my face. No wet pack up, no worries of moisture seeping in.
1F170AC0-FC51-45DF-B722-D5F007AF08F3.jpeg

My setup is about as simple as it gets. I have no passengers so I keep the seats in my shed and I like to be able to sit up and not bump my head on the roof. I cut up a cheap foam sleeping pad and hit it under the carpet. Then I installed a house battery setup so I could add a heated sleeping pad. Love being able to stretch out and sleeps 2 comfortably.

n7wuHxt.jpg

sv4ulPW.jpg

wUaqDLG.jpg

Q7860v0.jpg

If I wanted a campervan I'd import a Hiace!

Heating pad: https://amzn.to/2K2VVMb
Sleeping pad: https://amzn.to/3lWGBOj
ACO Power Lion Cooler: https://amzn.to/2JL0pqU
Coleman stove#ad: https://amzn.to/2L9vMMb

Titan drawers lay flat with the back seats folded down. One side fridge and I sleep on the other side.
Layers are (bottom to top):
closed-cell foam mattress (i used yoga mat),
sleeping pad (honeycomb-style so the air stays where it is),
ARB sleeping bag (not a fan of mummy-style sleeping bag)
extra blanket if needed.

One good thing about this is when I do multi day camp, I don't need to pack up everything. Just roll the yoga mat forward and fold everything in the backseat. Bungee cord it. And still have the space in my trunk for packing things. Pull up to the next camp site, roll out everything, done.

Since it's now in winter, I put a small heated blanket inside the ARB sleeping bag and plug it to the 12V in the trunk(boot). This 12V is wired to the secondary battery, got a Redarc BCDC to manage it so doesn't drain out overnight. Otherwise can always use a portable power station like a Goal Zero to power it.

Also an old Van Life trick, use Reflextics to insulate the windows.
Got so much good sleep here in Canadian winter.

Landcruiser 100 Series sleeping set up.jpg

Titan drawers lay flat with the back seats folded down. One side fridge and I sleep on the other side.
Layers are (bottom to top):
closed-cell foam mattress (i used yoga mat),
sleeping pad (honeycomb-style so the air stays where it is),
ARB sleeping bag (not a fan of mummy-style sleeping bag)
extra blanket if needed.

One good thing about this is when I do multi day camp, I don't need to pack up everything. Just roll the yoga mat forward and fold everything in the backseat. Bungee cord it. And still have the space in my trunk for packing things. Pull up to the next camp site, roll out everything, done.

Since it's now in winter, I put a small heated blanket inside the ARB sleeping bag and plug it to the 12V in the trunk(boot). This 12V is wired to the secondary battery, got a Redarc BCDC to manage it so doesn't drain out overnight. Otherwise can always use a portable power station like a Goal Zero to power it.

Also an old Van Life trick, use Reflextics to insulate the windows.
Got so much good sleep here in Canadian winter.

View attachment 2519942
How are you attaching the Reflectix? Suction cups or something, I can't make out what the hangers are in the pics. Nice setup ma'am.

Last edited:
We keep the yeti battery inside and fridge sleeps outside. If weather is gonna be bad I can always set up the tent for the fridge. 2 big Agnes backpack sleeping pads over land Shark drawers. Heads at thr tailgate work best for stargazing inside the truck

20201127_082214.jpg

Here's my recently constructed solo set up, all in $100. 3/4" Maple veneer plywood, a 2x4, two latches, four 12" Amazon sourced legs. Two piece unit, front is 34x35"w, rear is 40x35w. (You can make the front section 3-4 inches longer, YMMV). Mount all four legs to rear unit, notably with the front most legs' circular leg mount protruding so the front board can rest on the circular mount attached to the rear board. Refer to pic. You can reach both latches from the respective passenger rear doors, which secures the two boards together.

The 40" and 34" length of the platform pieces allows you to assemble/disassemble easily without removing the boards from the Cruiser (having a sheet of plywood behind the drivers seat might not be a good idea in an accident). Just release latches, pull back the rear board on all four legs onto the tailgate for space, rotate the forward board back onto the rear platform for stowing. Use extra 2x4 for leveling support on back seat that is folded down. The metal legs have a screw plastic foot with 1" of extention for leveling. Very stable, but you could add a turnbuckle tie down like others I've seen to ensure it's secure when traveling down the road. Sand down all edges of course for ease of handling. I use an Exped 7.5 mat on this.

IMG_6317.jpg

IMG_6325.jpg

IMG_6328.jpg

IMG_6330.jpg

IMG_6299.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my recently constructed solo set up, all in $100. 3/4" Maple veneer plywood, a 2x4, two latches, four 12" Amazon sourced legs. Two piece unit, front is 34x35"w, rear is 40x35w. (You can make the front section 3-4 inches longer, YMMV). Mount all four legs to rear unit, notably with the front most legs' circular leg mount protruding so the front board can rest on the circular mount attached to the rear board. Refer to pic. You can reach both latches from the respective passenger rear doors, which secures the two boards together.

The 40" and 34" length of the platform pieces allows you to assemble/disassemble easily without removing the boards from the Cruiser (having a sheet of plywood behind the drivers seat might not be a good idea in an accident). Just release latches, pull back the rear board on all four legs onto the tailgate for space, rotate the forward board back onto the rear platform for stowing. Use extra 2x4 for leveling support on back seat that is folded down. The metal legs have a screw plastic foot with 1" of extention for leveling. Very stable, but you could add a turnbuckle tie down like others I've seen to ensure it's secure when traveling down the road. Sand down all edges of course for ease of handling. I use an Exped 7.5 mat on this.

View attachment 2527839

View attachment 2527840

View attachment 2527856

View attachment 2527861

View attachment 2527875
What kind of legs are those? Not the traditional gas pipes.

Here is my current custom setup without rear seats & removing 60% seat. Works well but looking at going to a setup from Andy at YotaMD after seeing his setup In person this week in Colorado. Did not love the HEST sleeping mattress so returned to REI. Looking for a 28”x75” RV bunk mattress.

DF09F247-5EA5-4E64-AA4B-99735CECAFA3.jpeg

3459ADE0-9D5E-4E6B-8334-9572945E1458.jpeg

D6707BBB-CBB0-439E-B10F-B0E1C8E562D4.jpeg

2CE1C623-17EC-4AB4-BA15-2BF142E1CF0A.jpeg

Cheap Wal-Mart cot with front leg removed. Thermarest on top of that. Works great.
View media item 59269
So I got inspired by this setup, as it was cheap (especially with the price of lumber) and easy to setup and tear down.

I searched Walmart and these type of cots apparently dont exist anymore, so I searched a couple different outdoor sports stores and found that they make double width sized cots now. i did some measuring inside the back and found that, with the seats folded down, I have ~74" of length that I could play with. Most double cots are ~80-85" in length, which is too much.

After an exhaustive search on Amazon, I found this little beauty: Amazon product ASIN B08JY32G9N It is technically a "folding bed" but for all intents and purposes it is a double sized cot. Dimensions are 73" x 39" x 16", which means that with my middle seats folded down it is literally a perfect fit. (rear seats completely removed). The best part is that when it is folded back up, it fits perfectly with the middle seats up so I dont have to have the bed setup all the time. It is also on rollers so that it can be moved around easily as a spare bed for an AirBnB or in a tent or whatever...

Pictures for anyone interested.
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
IMG_2542.jpg

Figured i'd post up my frankenstein version of the different builds I found in this thread. I sourced most of the material from my work so wood and misc hardware was free. I believe I only paid for the Amazon legs.

Here is the test fitting stage, getting all the cuts with my Harbor Freight orbital jig saw (I recommend practicing on some scrap wood, it's harder to control than it looks).

IMG_1166.jpg

Here is essentially what the bottom side looks like, however I added some more staggered 3" x 6 " wood scraps to even out the split between sections.
In this picture I used the following hardware:

Amazon Legs: Amazon product ASIN B07WG14PJ4Link Locks: (I got these from work, we use them for crates. I used 3 pcs to join the 2 separate sections)

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

Here I lined the sleeping platform with some felt material. I really wanted to get this done with the free time I had that day so I went to Walmart and the only spray adhesive glue they had in stock was Elmers craft glue. It worked okay but I would highly recommend using 3M's Super 77. Once I applied the felt with spray glue I used a cheap staple gun to secure the edges on the underside (the creases above are long gone by now).

One thing to note here: I had to cut the fold out section corners (top of pic) to get the flap to clear the 2nd row seat belts.
I used the following hardware here:

Plywood sheets: (2) 55" x 23" and (1) 55" x 18" (swing out)
Piano Hinge: Everbilt 1-1/2 in. x 30 in. Bright Nickel Continuous Hinge-15175 - The Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-x-30-in-Bright-Nickel-Continuous-Hinge-15175/202034057
( I used a 30" length piano hinge, I SHOULD of used the 48" length one as this left the edges open and uneven when folded out)
So I added (2) 12" piano hinges on each side: Everbilt 1-1/16 in. x 12 in. Bright Nickel Continuous Hinge-14649 - The Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-16-in-x-12-in-Bright-Nickel-Continuous-Hinge-14649/203339971

IMG_1195.jpg

Hardware used above:

(8) Carabiner clips
(4) Turnbuckles
(4) Round hooks

IMG_1186.jpg

How are you all dealing with condensation from body heat and breathing while sleeping inside your 100? I would imagine you'd need to have some form of ventilation.

How are you all dealing with condensation from body heat and breathing while sleeping inside your 100? I would imagine you'd need to have some form of ventilation.

Roll down 2nd row windows, cover with window socks to keep out bugs.

Just did a handful of nights in the desert. Used some window screen folded so it was setup link a window sock and it worked really well. Going to cut and sew it together to make a more permanent solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom