100 series pads...does make a difference. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished getting back from "bedding in" the pads I installed last night. Mine fit perfectly (without the shims), no forcing/grinding needed. I did note that it is important to fully compress the caliper pistons...and to make sure that as you compress one, that the others do not extend.

Bleeding the system (flushed with synthetic) was pretty straight forward...but, I did get a lot of air from the LSPV bleeder screw. I wasn't able to get bubble free fluid from the RR until I bled the LSPV, after that...all was good.

Need to adjust the pedal free play still.

Braking with the 100 series pads is noticeably improved, good mod. to do IMO.

Shark -

Flint would have done the fronts only; the 100 Series pads won't fit the rear of the 80.

Cheers, R -

ParadiseCruiser said:
Shark -

Flint would have done the fronts only; the 100 Series pads won't fit the rear of the 80.

Cheers, R -

This is correct. I did replace the rears also (they really didn't need it as it turns out) but I'm kind of base-lining the vehicle. The fronts went in (with no room to spare) but are a perfect fit.

I recommend "Bedding them in" (hard braking followed by a period of driving to let the rotors cool), you can feel them getting better and better. Be sure to remove some fluid from the MC reservoir before compressing the pistons so you don't get a mess. No, I didn't make a mess.

ya know what makes a big difference...
PARACHUTES!

Last edited:
miked said:
ya know what makes a big difference...
PARACHUTES!

Especially the 100 series.

My personal experience with 100 series pads is not so much "better braking" as opposed to better pad life. I can't honestly say that my vehicle stops any better but I CAN say that my pad life is significantly better. I averaged around 20K miles on a set of 80 pads and the 100 set in place now is at about 32K miles and they aren't done yet.

D-

cruiserdan said:
My personal experience with 100 series pads is not so much "better braking" as opposed to better pad life. I can't honestly say that my vehicle stops any better but I CAN say that my pad life is significantly better. I averaged around 20K miles on a set of 80 pads and the 100 set in place now is at about 32K miles and they aren't done yet.

D-

Thats slightly better than 30% pad life "to date" and still going. Great to hear that I might be able to expect longer pad life as well.

I'm sure that anytime someone does a brake job that they percieve the vehicle to be performing better (subjective)...but I'm dead certain in my case that these pads (along with new rotors) are doing better than ones I took off.

Thanks to whoever figured out the swap.

Cheers.

I did a combo 100 series pads + Slee SS lines...This is prolly a huge placebo effect but I feel that I'm stopping better. As evidenced by all of my crap moving forward during one of those "panic" stops!

The 100 series pads should make no difference in their effectivness, assuming they are the same compound as the 80. Brake effectivness is a function of clamping pressure, compound friction, and rotor diameter. Larger pads do not add more stopping power, simply allow more pad life.

Damn Dan, you must have NO hills. The best I've ever done on a set of 80 pads is 15K! Probably have another 30K life on the front rotors based on original set lasting 90K.

The 100 series pads are thicker than 80 series pads, but they also have more surface area than the 80 series pads.

Wouldn't more surface area = more stopping power? Seems to me that it would...but could be that I'm oversimplifying how braking works...

Thickness of pads easily explains the longer life, but what function does pad sufrace area play in all of this?

Brentbba said:
Damn Dan, you must have NO hills. The best I've ever done on a set of 80 pads is 15K! Probably have another 30K life on the front rotors based on original set lasting 90K.

Maybe also the way he uses the brakes? My OEM 80 front pads lasted 30K mi. before needing to be replaced, and my driving is 70% city, 30% hwy.

NorCalDoug said:
The 100 series pads are thicker than 80 series pads, but they also have more surface area than the 80 series pads.

Wouldn't more surface area = more stopping power? Seems to me that it would...but could be that I'm oversimplifying how braking works...

Thickness of pads easily explains the longer life, but what function does pad sufrace area play in all of this?

Basically, the clamping force required to be applied (by your calipers) in order to stop your vehicle is the same whether your pad is 1 square inch or 1 square foot. But with the bigger pad, the force is spread out over a larger area, so the pressure per square inch on the pad is less, resulting in less wear.

:beer:
Rookie2

Rookie2 said:
Basically, the clamping force required to be applied (by your calipers) in order to stop your vehicle is the same whether your pad is 1 square inch or 1 square foot. But with the bigger pad, the force is spread out over a larger area, so the pressure per square inch on the pad is less, resulting in less wear.

:beer:
Rookie2
Cool -- that makes sense. I understand the technical aspects better now, but my "more stopping power" fantasy is shattered :frown:

:D

well, keep in mind also that if you have bigger surface area you can dissipate heat better so that the material in contact will be cooler so the friction coefficient could be higher and so it could brake better with a 1 sq ft pad. But for heat reasons, not pressure reasons...

e9999 said:
well, keep in mind also that if you have bigger surface area you can dissipate heat better so that the material in contact will be cooler so the friction coefficient could be higher and so it could brake better with a 1 sq ft pad. But for heat reasons, not pressure reasons...

Imagine this.. I know nothing about the actual engineering process of brake pads, never the less I disagree with what you've said. :D.

I would think that the whole basis of a good pad design, would be that the friction coefficient does not change drastically over a very wide temperature range. When the brakes are overheated, that's a different story. My example is a little extreme, in order to illustrate the point, and obviously a 1 sq. inch pad would over heat very quickly.

Rookie2 said:
Imagine this.. I know nothing about the actual engineering process of brake pads, never the less I disagree with what you've said. :D.

snip

that never stopped me either...! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom