100 series long travel #ih8torsionbars! (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! Did you bevel both sides of the UCA where you cut it, or just your insert? I assume you just did that to get more weld in there?

I'd love to see more detailed pics of the LCA off the truck. Interested to know how you designed and fabricated it. This is so cool!!!
Everything was beveled and 4 rosette welds per side then welded the top braces. I built my own powder coating oven to save a few bucks there.

5C5B6F76-19B1-4DD6-817B-4F64A9E6A8CE.jpeg

AAD95FED-630A-46AC-B6D6-FA617A6BC139.jpeg

Yes, it can fit a very large part, the biggest was doing the rear pan hard bar, super long.
Speaking of the rear suspension, what did you do to match the increased lift height you have in the front? Lift springs with coil spacers? Did you change the link arms? Did you make a longer panhard bar, or did you make a drop bracket?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just find suspension solutions to be really interesting. I've pieced together a few systems over the years on G Wagons and Ford Trucks, so I know what trial and error sometimes goes into making everything work right. I've never done anything as extensive as this though!

Very nice! What did you use for insulation in the middle section you added? Is the skin aluminum, or steel? What gauge?
There was enough insulation because the center portion had a top and bottom, maybe 16gage steel, got it at Lowe’s pretty hefty.

Awesome build (and oven). How about some pics of your rig!? How does it handle? Have you taken it off pavement yet?

Speaking of the rear suspension, what did you do to match the increased lift height you have in the front? Lift springs with coil spacers? Did you change the link arms? Did you make a longer panhard bar, or did you make a drop bracket?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just find suspension solutions to be really interesting. I've pieced together a few systems over the years on G Wagons and Ford Trucks, so I know what trial and error sometimes goes into making everything work right. I've never done anything as extensive as this though!
I did metal tech upper and lowers, custom rear pan hard with hiems. I couldn’t make the arms for much cheaper if I did them myself, that why they are backordered. I had 3” rear springs with 30mm spacers, bottom of the fenders in the center of wheel well measure 44”. Enough lift to clear 37’s, front diff won’t handle it. Staying at 35’s

Are the UCAs you used actually wider/longer than stock? Trying to figure out where you got the extra 2" in track width from on each side. Or did you just make your mounting brackets on the frame side sit outboard 2" more? I thought I read in your original post that your UCA and LCA were made to accomodate the coil-over without the knuckle contacting the shock. Did you make that frame-side bushing you pictured, or is that something you found somewhere? Any additional harshness to the ride quality from going solid bushing? Sorry for all of the questions, but this is a really cool project. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Looking back at the pics you posted I see that it looks like your LCA mounting point is indeed further outboard than the factory location. Reading the questions/answers you confirmed this. How do you get reasonable camber now that you have kicked the bottom mounting point on the spindle 2" out from the original alignment with the top?
Frame bushing is custom made and welded solid, you don’t need a rubber frame bushing because the lca has a poly bushing, frame bushing is converted to a static mount for the rear subframe.

Do you get bored often? Like can I leave my truck at your place next time I'm in town to visit family? :rofl:

Looks really, really fun. Very cool to see.

Do you get bored often? Like can I leave my truck at your place next time I'm in town to visit family? :rofl:

Looks really, really fun. Very cool to see.
If you knew how little time I have, finishing this project in the time I did is more amazing. I have a cnc plasma cutter, sky is the limit on what you can build. I am not a mechanic, just a decent problem solver.

This looks amazing, nice work! Eager to hear how it performs on the trails. This could be a game changer!

Everything about this is ridiculous in all of the right ways, nicely done!

Reactions: uHu
Awesome!! :cool:
The only thing missing is Total Chaos licensing the design so the rest of us can get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom