100 Series General Tech and Classifieds (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My boss's LX470 left his daughter stranded last week. The 2007 truck has 188K. Don't know the exact symptoms, but our company has a fleet mechanic and he did the timing belt service last year. And I remember him remarking to me that it was the easiest timing belt he had ever done.

He pulled cover off and thought he was going to find a broken belt or bad tensioner. The belt still has tension and looks fine. He found the cam phasing to be out about 10* and suspects he has some bent valves. Our mechanic doesn't have the kind of time to devote to a rebuild and is considering buying a used engine from a junkyard.

Got any advice, wisdom, condolences I can pass along?

Dunno. I don't think he could have installed the belt kit wrong last year without it being really obvious at the time.

If belt was installed wrong you would of had an immediate check engine light. For the belt to “jump” it would have to be missing teeth or had something behind the cover get wedged under the belt and a pulley. Have had a few fan brackets with bad bearings fill the timing cover with random shrapnel. Post up pics of the timing marks. I’m curious to see how far off it is. As far a replacement engines go you are limited to only 2 years in the LC/LX 06-07 as that is a vvt/2ndary air engine. You can use a Sequoia/Tundra engine but they must be treated like a long block and have vvt/2ndary air. While in there I would install a 2ndary delete to save an expensive repair later down the road. Regardless, let me know what they are going to do with the old engine. I’d be curious to tear it down to see what happened.

My boss's LX470 left his daughter stranded last week. The 2007 truck has 188K. Don't know the exact symptoms, but our company has a fleet mechanic and he did the timing belt service last year. And I remember him remarking to me that it was the easiest timing belt he had ever done.

He pulled cover off and thought he was going to find a broken belt or bad tensioner. The belt still has tension and looks fine. He found the cam phasing to be out about 10* and suspects he has some bent valves. Our mechanic doesn't have the kind of time to devote to a rebuild and is considering buying a used engine from a junkyard.

Got any advice, wisdom, condolences I can pass along?

So how much do they want to dump this piece of junk for?:D

411545B0-054F-4CE1-BF66-27C57F56B89F.jpeg
1F497D33-437D-4E95-BC98-07C4798A120B.jpeg
6E7E070B-1042-4340-AF2A-0425D11F6065.jpeg

Something in the VVT fail one bank maybe? I am curious as to what the cause ends up being.

Our shop is going to realign the cam gears to where they should be and see what happens. When it failed, they were in Ohio and had a shop up there look at it. They did a compression test but didn't give over the detailed results, just said right bank low (69) and suspected something was off with the timing - Ohio shop only diagnosed, no work done.

Our shop mechanic wonders if the VVT adjusters are failing.

Lesson learned by our mechanic - don't skimp on TEQ parts.

Belt is disintegrating. Lots of debris in lower cover. The mechanic had used Napa parts when he did the service last year. He got the cams aligned and ran compression again, got 150 on all cylinders. Putting TEQ parts in it this time.

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser | eBay Seems cheap to me

(......oh, and according to @wct49 at last month's crawl raffle, that's the ONLY issue I'd recommend anyone consider on this truck)

That is really really cheap. Fly in and drive it back. If you include labor, their asking price is close to the cost of aftermarket on that truck. Basically getting a sub 120k 06 for free...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom