100 Series Button Repair How-To - A/C, Defrost, Recirc etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did this two weekends ago. The Panasonic switch works well in the antenna and clock button locations, but does not fit in the others. The FSM4JRT switches work well in those.

Fantastic post. I will report back how a ham-handed education professor w/ zero electronics expertise does w/ this. I just drove r/t Ashland OR - Bozeman - Kalispell MT through horrendous weather & fought that dang rear defrost switch the whole way. I am stoked to give this a try, as I’ve had the whole nut apart but was at a loss as to how to fix the switch. Thank you!

Just spent my lunch break at work tackling this. Never had any problems with the AC and recirc buttons, but the bottom row only worked about once every 1000 tries (or so it felt). I opted to try a cleaning first before I swapped out any switches. I used acetone, ethanol, and scraped at the contacts slightly with a dental pick before putting everything back together. Getting those little blue covers back on honestly took as long as everything else combined....

On first power-up, all of the buttons responded immediately and I couldn't be happier. We'll see if it stays that way or needs more attention down the road. If so, I'll do a button swap.

In case anyone wants to test theirs, my buttons show somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 Ohms across them when pressed. Prior to cleaning, the malfunctioning ones showed as open. There's a conformal coating on the board to protect against corrosion, which will have to be removed/scraped before you can get test leads on the pads to measure.

Can someone provide more info or pics on the foam tape fix? I am not visualizing this and would like have a good game plan prior to taking it apart. Any links to the correct foam tape? Thanks

I too had this problem, but rather than soldering in a new switch, which I was forbidden to do even though I wanted to (sigh). I thought I'd try swapping the little rubber part with a new one from a similar switch. This is now working perfectly after about a month and a half! These are the switches I used: Momentary Tactile Push - 8mm Soft Button Switch - 5 Pack - Free UK P&P | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234094577267
As has been said, the rubber bit is fiddly to replace but it can be done with patience.

I need to do this fix as well and will be ordering the following part:

Im also having an issue with the AC temp knob. It only works on the 65 degree setting. Does anyone know the part number to the control knob/board that controls the AC temps behind the AC temp button?

upload_2018-12-17_12-3-56.png

I need to do this fix as well and will be ordering the following part:

Im also having an issue with the AC temp knob. It only works on the 65 degree setting. Does anyone know the part number to the control knob/board that controls the AC temps behind the AC temp button?

View attachment 3053183
Might want to check the temperature sensor in the dash for that one. Sometimes it gets unplugged and causes issues with control.

@YezusLX this might be in my future!

This worked for me....

Hi shtbrwn86,
Was there a ‘reboot’ solution to your faulty original switches? What did you do to get the switches working better?
Wow sorry just saw this. All I did was add the new boots to the original switches. The first time I dealt with this by cleaning the original switches they worked for a few weeks. The reboots have been working for a few months now. I think the original boot contacts just get worn out and fail. The contacts on the new boots looked way better.

It can be frustrating to put the new boots on but it took me like an hour or so to do 3 switches and I’m clumsy and have big hands. I highly recommend the reboot. I used a metal pick to help coax the boots in and put a small hole in one of them in the process but it still works great. I’d get a plastic pick set next time.

Awesome! So you simply/carefully removed the original and new boots from their respective switches, and then carefully installed the new boots onto the original switches by working the rubber edges into the channel? Love it!! Thanks for responding and for the extra details.

Awesome! So you simply/carefully removed the original and new boots from their respective switches, and then carefully installed the new boots onto the original switches by working the rubber edges into the channel? Love it!! Thanks for responding and for the extra details.

Yep. That's all there is to it. I was going to pay this guy on ebay to solder all new switches on, but I thought I would take a chance on rebooting them. I think I provided the link to them on overstock earlier in this thread. It's going to drive you nuts at first but I promise the new ones will go back in there. I might take it apart again since I just noticed one other button not working right. If I do I will take some pictures. Maybe even do a video....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom