100 Series blown front diff. Parts inquiring. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

This is my first post here. I have done some looking around on the forums to answer some of my questions, but I cannot seem to find some answers. This is my first Cruiser and fairly new to it.

So first thing:

I took my LX470 to do some mild snow wheeling in the BC back country and everything was good. Then when it came time to head out I had gotten stuck on a tiny snow hill. Tires were aired down to 10 psi center diff was locked( Tried my best to not used the rear locker ). I had Traction matts under the front tires. There was some tire spinning in the front and rear but it was always stopped right away. Eventually the fat @$$ got up the hill. I then put the vehicle back into 4 Hi and then to drive to head out. All of a sudden there was a shudder and it was a grinding sound with no movement happening. Did not matter which gear the vehicle was in it would not go in 4Hi. Now into 4Lo there were no issues, 4 hours later we made it out and got a tow.

Upon further investigating, the Differential had blown out and seized. That lead to 4Hi gears in the Transfer case to break off. 4Lo however was strong enough to push through, but in the end it is why my drive shaft had snapped. Long story short I have had to get a new transfer case( Going to rebuild the old one ), drive shaft. The only items I can not seem to find is the Diff cover/mount, And a new differential.

For the differential I am trying to find an Auto Locking diff. ( Not sure if they make them for the 100 Series as I can't find anything) Since I want a locking diff in the front, do I just eat it and install an Air Locker and wait till I get a compressor? (just can't afford the compressor at the moment )

So Items needed:
- Diff cover/mount
- Locking Diff - be it air or Auto. Preferably an auto locker

All other items I wasn't sure about this place has answered so thank you everyone!

Cheers guys.
IMG_20230218_224039.jpg
IMG_20230318_195101.jpg
IMG_20230318_193529.jpg
IMG_20230318_210341.jpg
IMG_20230318_210346.jpg

Year?

I’ve a set of 4.10 gears and carriers (take offs) and I have a spare ( used) front cover with a new isolation bushing. Only challenge is you appear to be outside the US so shipping and import duty might be steep.

Wow. That's some major carnage.

I just went through a broken front diff (much much less damage than yours, though) and I ended up just buying a whole new front diff assembly from toyota because it was the quickest way to get the LX back on the road. I got very lucky that I didn't have a similar damage to yours when a random tooth broke off my ring gear at 65 mph.

I have not seen or heard of an autolocker for the 100, but as mentioned Eaton/Harrop (same company now) make both a front and rear elocker for the LX - ~1350 USD each. If you're handy with wires, you can upgrade your dash switch from a rear only locker switch to the 80 series front and rear switch. Personal preference, but I prefer not to deal with air lines and seals and a compressor plus wiring.

If you've got time to wait for it, you're probably best off buying a used from diff assembly from a junkyard or Ebay and then filling it with the parts you want, or working out a deal with @abuck99 to get his old parts. @cruiseroutfit carries most of the various pieces you'd need (gears, bearings, seals, etc). If you were interested in doing t-case reduction gears, now would be the time as well.

That sucks though. Best of luck with the repairs.

If by auto locker you mean like a Lockright, I don't think they make one and they're generally not recommended for front diffs anyway. If you mean electric, then Harrop and Eaton make them, pretty sure both for the front.
Auto Lockers are great for front IFS front ends had one in a 4 runner before with zero issues. Thank you for the input I will go check out those companys.

Wow. That's some major carnage.

I just went through a broken front diff (much much less damage than yours, though) and I ended up just buying a whole new front diff assembly from toyota because it was the quickest way to get the LX back on the road. I got very lucky that I didn't have a similar damage to yours when a random tooth broke off my ring gear at 65 mph.

I have not seen or heard of an autolocker for the 100, but as mentioned Eaton/Harrop (same company now) make both a front and rear elocker for the LX - ~1350 USD each. If you're handy with wires, you can upgrade your dash switch from a rear only locker switch to the 80 series front and rear switch. Personal preference, but I prefer not to deal with air lines and seals and a compressor plus wiring.

If you've got time to wait for it, you're probably best off buying a used from diff assembly from a junkyard or Ebay and then filling it with the parts you want, or working out a deal with @abuck99 to get his old parts. @cruiseroutfit carries most of the various pieces you'd need (gears, bearings, seals, etc). If you were interested in doing t-case reduction gears, now would be the time as well.

That sucks though. Best of luck with the repairs.
Hey Thanks for the Reply. The plan with this rig is to make it a really capable Overland/Off-roader ( If I was able to get my hand on an 80 series would've been the way ). I do like the idea of putting in the 80 series switch though that is actually a really good idea!

I will be doing a dual air compressor set up eventually so an air locker would not be the end of the world. I do like tinkering with that stuff along with wiring.

And with the amount of damage the ring gear barely had any damage compared to the spider gears and the pinion.

Thanks for the input and I will keep this post updated on my progress.

Ouch, that's not a great sight.
Hopefully you will be back on the road soon.

As in diff locker, I have the Eaton e-locker in the front for 11 years now and love it.

Feel your pain, lot of damage there. Breaking a T-case is pretty rare on 100s. I haven't seen posts about them breaking.

Was only 4Hi, 4Lo works perfectly fine. Weirdest part is there is no noise when driving.

Have you tried locking your CDL? It auto locks in Low range.

I think if you lock the CDL 4H will work for you.

I've never heard anyone claim the center diff auto-locks in 4lo before. I regularly use my 100 to shuttle trailers around, and I put the truck in AWD low because it gives me a much slower crawl speed and doesn't lock the center diff.

I've never heard anyone claim the center diff auto-locks in 4lo before. I regularly use my 100 to shuttle trailers around, and I put the truck in AWD low because it gives me a much slower crawl speed and doesn't lock the center diff.

The 98-99 (pre ATRAC) engaged CDL when shifting into low range.

OP, unless you've disassembled the TC to confirm other wise, I'd say it's fine. Since you mentioned having a rear locker so I'm guess you have a 98-99 and obviously blew up your 2 pinion front diff.

OP, unless you've disassembled the TC to confirm other wise, I'd say it's fine. Since you mentioned having a rear locker so I'm guess you have a 98-99 and obviously blew up your 2 pinion front diff.

Today I learned!

Transfer case is going to be disassembled after I repair the vehicle and bring it to Vancouver Island.

Broke it before I moved and ain't paying for that tow 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom