100 Days of Ownership (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had my 2013 LX for about 100 days now and thought I would give some quick thoughts. I bought a White 2013 LX, almost fully loaded (no radar Cruise) with 66K miles. I bought the truck from CarMax as they were the best deal in Colorado. I did buy the CarMax extended warranty, 4 years/150K miles. I know there are several threads on the pros/cons of extended warranties.

The "Toyota" tax is real here. I originally looked at an LC but the prices were nuts. The AHC on the LX sealed it for.

What I really like about the truck: V8 and 6spd. Plenty of power and the transmission shifts are smooth. The truck is very quiet and feels unbelievably solid. Cooled seats and heated steering wheel. Not sure how I got by without those before. It has the right level of tech for me, no over intrusive nannies. It's six years old so any infotainment system is already very outdated. Crawl control is awesome. Headlamp washers, awesome! Don't care if they actually do anything they just look cool.

AHC. I think AHC is awesome. I leave it in auto mode and comfort exit so the truck is easy to get in/out. A friend from work who drives a lifted (total mall cruiser) 4Runner asked me when I was gonna "man up my truck" with a lift. We walked out, I put in high mode and he shut up LOL

What I don't like so far: Upper door plastic where I rest my arm while driving appears to me made of plastic imitating concrete. All the leather in that thing and they couldn't spare a few square feet for that area? Or even some nice plastic. The center console/cooler cover. Who the hell approved that? It has maybe .5mm of padding. It hurts to rest your arm/elbow on it while driving, completely unacceptable. The truck has no storage for regular, everyday items. I have the cool box, while a nice novelty it's almost useless for storage. How can such a huge vehicle has such a minute glove box? The trunk area is not any better. The third row should be easier to take out. And the dash controls, who thought a dash designed so that every button/control you need is blocked by the steering wheel was a good idea? And gas tank capacity, nuff said.

Why does MTS not have a snow/ice settings? My 4Runner was the same. Just curious, seems like an odd terrain setting to leave it out.

I nitpick the negatives they are not deal breakers, just annoyances. Overall I really, really like my purchase.

Only modifications so far is 18 inch LC rims painted Bronze. I ditched the 20s as soon as I found the 18s (from a mud member)

I just completed a 1400 mile road trip to West Texas, truck didn't miss a beat. Averaged around 18.5mpg and the truck was a pleasure to drive. Lots of elevation changes between Colorado and Texas and it felt like the truck wasn't even breathing hard. It was quiet, smooth and relaxing.

Pretty sure I will keep this for a long, long time.

IMG_20191113_162304.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up and i while i echo several of your gripes, LOVE THIS TRUCK!

Honestly though, size of the gas tank/range available with the 5.7V8 petrol is the biggest design flaw with this vehicle. 30% more fuel capacity would be much closer to perfection.

Thanks. I do love the truck and can look past the nitpicks but agree with you, fuel tank capacity is the biggest flaw. 6-8 more gallons would make all the difference.

OK, three things...
1) ebay and amazon are full of trays that insert into the top of the cooler box. Makes better use of the space and doesnt take too much height away from the cooler. I added a small tab at the back to make it easier to get to the cooler.
2) You can also find pads that will make the center console/armrest more comfortable. In my experience, the leather on the center console is the first piece of leather to go, so I use a pad to prolong the life of the leather. It makes for a better height as well.
3) If you live around Co Springs, why the heck are you going to west texas?!?!

OK, three things...
1) ebay and amazon are full of trays that insert into the top of the cooler box. Makes better use of the space and doesnt take too much height away from the cooler. I added a small tab at the back to make it easier to get to the cooler.
2) You can also find pads that will make the center console/armrest more comfortable. In my experience, the leather on the center console is the first piece of leather to go, so I use a pad to prolong the life of the leather. It makes for a better height as well.
3) If you live around Co Springs, why the heck are you going to west texas?!?!

Thanks for the tips. I will look for a cooler box insert.

I ordered a pad for the center armrest. My issues isn't with the leather, I know that will get worn over time. My issue is the total lack of padding on it, completely unacceptable. It feels like leather over plywood but the pad I ordered should take care of that.

Yes I live in Colorado Springs where Mule Deer are like Pigeons in Central park except these Muleys must be made of Platinum cause you can't get a tag to hunt them. Colorado must be the only state that residents can't get over the counter Deer tags (draw only) Texas hunting license gives you 4 Turkey tags and 7 deer tags.

Last edited:
Did you powdercoat these grey? Any shots with the bronze?

That color came from the factory. They looked nice but I didn't want 20" rims, I prefer the 18, better tire choices, nicer ride, better off road (I think) Here are some of the bronze.

IMG_20191222_102735[1].jpg

IMG_20191222_102818[1].jpg

What tire size on your 18 inch lx wheel do you have? Is it the stock size at 276/60/18?
I also have a white 13 lx and also bought it at Carmax. I would like to put my extra set of 2005 LC 18 inch wheels on 275/70/18 KO2s. Did you put spacers and any rubbing? Your LX looks good with those LX470 rims! Thanks for any replies

Last edited:

I ordered a pad for the center armrest. My issues isn't with the leather, I know that will get worn over time. My issue is the total lack of padding on it, completely unacceptable. It feels like leather over plywood but the pad I ordered should take care of that.

Yes I live in Colorado Springs where Mule Deer are like Pigeons in Central parl except these Muleys must be made of Platinum cause you can't get a tag to hunt them. Colorado must be the only state that residents can't get over the counter Deer tags (draw only) Texas hunting license gives you 4 Turkey tags and 7 deer tags.

Colorado/California have a serious deer problem and either they need to reintroduce wolfs or provide over the counter deer tags in abundance until the population is under control. It’s gotten so bad in CO, you need to have the deer head/tissue examined for wasting disease before you can harvest the meat. When i was growing up, that was never a concern as getting a tag was easy and people were not ostracized for hunting.

What tire size on your 18 inch lx wheel do you have? Is it the stock size at 276/60/18?
I also have a white 13 lx and also bought it at Carmax. I would like to put my extra set of 2005 LC 18 inch wheels on 275/70/18 KO2s. Did you put spacers and any rubbing? Your LX looks good with those LX470 rims! Thanks for any replies
They are 2013 LC rims, not LX470, I had them painted.bronze Tires are 275/65/18 The only rubbing is if the truck is in low mode (I leave AHC in auto) when I first drive away and have to make a sharp u-turn I can sometimes feel/hear slight rubbing.

Colorado/California have a serious deer problem and either they need to reintroduce wolfs or provide over the counter deer tags in abundance until the population is under control. It’s gotten so bad in CO, you need to have the deer head/tissue examined for wasting disease before you can harvest the meat. When i was growing up, that was never a concern as getting a tag was easy and people were not ostracized for hunting.
I think Wolves are a terrible idea. You have Hunter ready to pay to hunt. Wolves will decimate Elk and Deer populations, not to mention what they do to livestock.

CWD is in certain areas but expanding.

Last edited:
I think Wolves are a terrible idea. You have Hunter ready to pay to hunt. Will eat decimate Elk and Deer populations, not to mention what they do to livestock.

Sorry, I disagree. Just go to Alaska and wolves have not killed off any population and in fact keep it balanced. I had a close encounter with a Wolf on a trail near my house in Lake Tahoe where I lived as kid and it just stared at me and proceeded to walk by. Amazing experience! VIDEO: Reintroduction of Extinct Wolves In Yellowstone National Park Cause Stunning Effect |

I think Wolves are a terrible idea. You have Hunter ready to pay to hunt. Wolves would decimate Elk and Deer populations, not to mention what they do to livestock.

Move to Texas. We're behind the times and like it that way!

Move to Texas. We're behind the times and like it that way!
That’s why i live in TN. You live in Dallas, that’s not Texas...thats LA. Lol.

Last edited:
Hate to say it but your that not far off with all the immigration from other states!

Still we don't ostracize people for obtaining free range organically raised steroid free venison that just happen to have suffered from sudden onset lead poisoning.:cool:

Yes I live in Colorado Springs where Mule Deer are like Pigeons in Central park except these Muleys must be made of Platinum cause you can't get a tag to hunt them. Colorado must be the only state that residents can't get over the counter Deer tags (draw only) Texas hunting license gives you 4 Turkey tags and 7 deer tags.
Curious which pad you chose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom