1 piston replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slee is in Golden, not sure how close that is. They may be able to point you to a shop that's local to them--or you.

Slee is in Golden, not sure how close that is. They may be able to point you to a shop that's local to them--or you.
Slee would be just fine, 60 mins south.
Just narrowing it down to closer but reputable.

I'm probably going to have the head done, and cross my fingers with taking rod n piston 2 and matching with bearing and rings from #1. Rings wore to that cylinder and those bearings wore to that crank. May not be best way but 10k is not happening.

Hey had to say, seems like L1 in Loveland is my place. I knew when i saw 6 land cruisers in the parking lot.

thanks for the reference. Coincidentally, my neighbor recommended a guy a month ago, turns out it was L1 ....

very friendly, took time to knowledge share , and answer my questions.

update on this is there's metal fragments in the oil pan, as I was expecting. .. SO, what's the experience level here with metal in the oil pan? Obviously it's from the hole in the piston and what ever got in there ( didn't find it yet, but the plug that got knocked out of the piston top was in there.

I *think* I should be looking at a rebuild or reman or something. I have a 2nd motor I can have redone, so lucky there.

I need to not have any question in the reliability. As many of you do as well, just the the wife and I head out to remote places and 4-wheel and camp...
Zoleo give a little extra piece of mind for us.

any who. thanks forum members. you're all so friggin awesome! I'm so privileged to "know" you all

Hey had to say, seems like L1 in Loveland is my place. I knew when i saw 6 land cruisers in the parking lot.

thanks for the reference. Coincidentally, my neighbor recommended a guy a month ago, turns out it was L1 ....

very friendly, took time to knowledge share , and answer my questions.

update on this is there's metal fragments in the oil pan, as I was expecting. .. SO, what's the experience level here with metal in the oil pan? Obviously it's from the hole in the piston and what ever got in there ( didn't find it yet, but the plug that got knocked out of the piston top was in there.

I *think* I should be looking at a rebuild or reman or something. I have a 2nd motor I can have redone, so lucky there.

I need to not have any question in the reliability. As many of you do as well, just the the wife and I head out to remote places and 4-wheel and camp...
Zoleo give a little extra piece of mind for us.

any who. thanks forum members. you're all so friggin awesome! I'm so privileged to "know" you all
If it was mine, I would pull it and do EVERYTHING because you cannot be sure how much metal particles migrated through the oiling system and decided to carve grooves in the bearings.

If it was mine, I would pull it and do EVERYTHING because you cannot be sure how much metal particles migrated through the oiling system and decided to carve grooves in the bearings
Totally agree. Especially now after seeing in the 1st oil pan. Found the culprit, along with some of the metal from the piston and the chunk missing from the bottom of the head.
They were separate in the pan, I glued them together.

20230326_203344.jpg

🤬

Totally agree. Especially now after seeing in the 1st oil pan. Found the culprit, along with some of the metal from the piston and the chunk missing from the bottom of the head.

View attachment 3283281
So, is that YOUR screwdriver bit or a PO?

View attachment 3283281
Youch!

Anyone interested in rebuilding a short block? 😂🤣

whew, k.... all THAT'S DONE.. 10 weeks and a few k later .... started this afternoon!!
Need some advice though... the hole in the piston that caused all this made it suck and blow a bunch of oil. Everything is redone except the exhaust. I have a really rough idle and have a little oil dripping out from a seam on the muffler... leading me to think the O2 sensors and cats are done for.... contributing to the running rough...

wucha'll think? and i'm leaning towards replacing the O2s and exhaust stuff.

How many miles on the exhaust system? Were you getting any O2 or Cat codes before the carnage?

How many miles on the exhaust system? One option, assuming the cats weren't throwing codes before, is to disconnect the front part of the exhaust system and wash the cats out along with the pipes, then reseal using new OEM gaskets, nuts, bolts, and hanger cushions.
a good option. What about the oil soaked O2 Sensors?

Replace with aftermarket, new not available last I checked. Denso if you can find the correct part (89465-69065 and 89465-69075??)

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/direct-fit/denso-direct-fit-oxygen-sensor/den1/2344520 for Denso 234-4520

Amazon product ASIN B0018JQHZY
RockAuto carries Walker O2 sensors that will fit but IDK about quality
or if they will cause codes to pop up (often what happens with anything other than OEM/Denso/NTK)

Check out this thread:

Last edited:
Replace with aftermarket, new not available last I checked. Denso if you can find the correct part (89465-69065 and 89465-69075??)
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/direct-fit/denso-direct-fit-oxygen-sensor/den1/2344520 for Denso 234-4520
Amazon product ASIN B0018JQHZYRockAuto carries Walker O2 sensors that will fit but IDK about quality
or if they will cause codes to pop up (often what happens with anything other than OEM/Denso/NTK)
Check out this thread:
heck yeah, great thanks! I'lll check it out.
Also seems upon closer inspection that a PO welded 1 sensor in cause the bung studs broke ? OMFG More fun!

heck yeah, great thanks! I'lll check it out.
Also seems upon closer inspection that a PO welded 1 sensor in cause the bung studs broke ? OMFG More fun!
I was considering moving them to the pair spots on the manifold to simplify things, as well as to test the O2 theory.. i'm currently emission free, until the Feds get all outta control anyway. Doesn't solve the cats, but would run right with the 02 sensors if they are the issue, no?

Curious, anyone know what the symptoms of oil soaked / bad sensors are?

Sensors moved to Pair ports, easy peasy. Didn't solve the issue however. Starts smoking only after it gets to temp and the exhaust gets hot.

Think i might need to cut off them cats and see how he runs...

You cannot simply take a piston from one engine and put it in another.....unless you are really lucky. Size obviously however, pistons are also matched in weight, if you are unlucky you find you may get uneven wear on the crankshaft?

Is it a big deal? For me yes, YMMV.

Just had a better read through the thread, I think at this point I would pull the block and have it done properly, go with a bore, pistons and rings. There is subtle stuff that is often missed, the pistons do wear along with the rings (thrust direction), the connecting rod may have taken on a twist, ring gaps need to be set. If you are going for longevity, do it once and do it right.

Regards

Dave.

Last edited:
If the cats were ok before this event and I was thinking of removing / replacing the cats anyway I'd play with cleaning the oil out or at least burning it off to see how it runs then, before I got into cat replacement. Worst case is you lose some time on the cleaning attempt and end up replacing the cats. I'd be looking for easy fixes here and avoiding spending too much time/$/effort on the cleaning route.

Looking around online I see folks using laquer thinner, cataclean, water, etc. to clean cats out with varied results. If you have a way to get cleaner into/onto the cats without disassembly of the exhaust that would make testing cleaning methods pretty easy. Maybe you can inject cleaners via the old O2 ports, or pull the new sensors and use those ports? A borescope, garden sprayer filled with a cleaning solution and a little time could open the cats back up enough to run well again. If you have a welder you could also drill a service port in the tapered part of the cat and then spray a cleaner onto the catalyst and then weld the hold back up when done? Just throwing out some possibly easy/quick fixes that could be worth trying.

Check youtube, it's full of videos about cat cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom