07 4-runner oil overfilled? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I used to work as a mechanic. I know how to check oil.

Just had my oil changed yesterday. The dipstick read over by the distance between the dots, about 2".
I pulled out about a quart and am now over by 1/2". The shop swears the put in the right amount. The last oil change by them was over on the dipsitick by about 3/8".

The same shop claimed I was 5 quarts low last time. The oil was between the marks when I brought it to them. It burns no measurable oil, none, in 5000+ miles. There were no indications of being low on oil.

The curved dipstick tube is pretty sketchy to get a valid reading. The oil smears up the back of the dipstick for several inches. I am looking at the inside of the curve which reads much lower.

Possibilities that come to mind,
I am stupid.? No, my mother had me tested. : )
They do not know how to measure the right amount of oil. And/or, they used a crappy filter with a bad check valve, and/or they did not drain it completely.
The dipstick is calibrated wrong.

What is your opinion?

Up date, I removed 1 5/8 quarts through the dipstick tube. That got me down to the full line. Only 30% over filled, he told me it is fine and will not hurt anything.

This is the second time he overfilled it. That era 4-runner used two engines. The other engine had a larger oil capacity. I think we are dealing with a reading comprehension issue. He also broke the power antenna on my '92 land cruiser and refused to fess up.

The mechanic is fired, I can no longer trust them. I will not be going back to that shop.

Last edited:
Up date, I removed 1 5/8 quarts through the dipstick tube. That got me down to the full line. Only 30% over filled, he told me it is fine and will not hurt anything.

This is the second time he overfilled it. That era 4-runner used two engines. The other engine had a larger oil capacity. I think we are dealing with a reading comprehension issue. He also broke the power antenna on my '92 land cruiser and refused to fess up.

The mechanic is fired, I can no longer trust them. I will not be going back to that shop.
I have the same problem when my wife's ES go to the dealer, same issue they claim that they put the right amount but when I do it I get right on the dot. :lol:

My dealer tends to overfill, overinflate, and over-tighten everything they can, and put the spare in upside down so the wheel gets all scratched up. I'm afraid to ever bring my car there.

This is an issue across the board, not just dealers. I say this because I spent three decades at a dealer, 15 years teaching automotive at a trade school and now I'm a trainer for Toyota.

"Lube Rack" is normally the starter spot. This is where they throw the new kids. The question is, did the manager properly vet the kid before he was thrown in there? Most managers don't. three years later, the kid had no real mentor or an idiot for a mentor and he turned out the same.

Before I started training for Toyota, I worked in an automotive trade school. Less then one out of ten had the mental capacity to even change oil. The fault wasn't the school, it was people who think this stuff is easy but have no sense. Imagine the ones who didn't try to get formal training. If that doesn't scare you, understand that it's got to the point where car's are diagnosed with a lab scope and the tech doesn't know how to properly check oil.

I've known people from all types of shops from quick lube to exotic car dealer's. It may surprise you how many don't care or were trained not to. There's no excuse for a lazy tech. Someone who doesn't take the time to even check the oil level when their done will never be a good tech. The same with tire pressure. Lets not get me going about torque spec's.
In my lifetime, I have met master tech's who in my opinion shouldn't be allowed to own tools.

Sorry for the rant. This is an issue I've spent years trying to help fix.

This is an issue across the board, not just dealers. I say this because I spent three decades at a dealer, 15 years teaching automotive at a trade school and now I'm a trainer for Toyota.

"Lube Rack" is normally the starter spot. This is where they throw the new kids. The question is, did the manager properly vet the kid before he was thrown in there? Most managers don't. three years later, the kid had no real mentor or an idiot for a mentor and he turned out the same.

Before I started training for Toyota, I worked in an automotive trade school. Less then one out of ten had the mental capacity to even change oil. The fault wasn't the school, it was people who think this stuff is easy but have no sense. Imagine the ones who didn't try to get formal training. If that doesn't scare you, understand that it's got to the point where car's are diagnosed with a lab scope and the tech doesn't know how to properly check oil.

I've known people from all types of shops from quick lube to exotic car dealer's. It may surprise you how many don't care or were trained not to. There's no excuse for a lazy tech. Someone who doesn't take the time to even check the oil level when their done will never be a good tech. The same with tire pressure. Lets not get me going about torque spec's.
In my lifetime, I have met master tech's who in my opinion shouldn't be allowed to own tools.

Sorry for the rant. This is an issue I've spent years trying to help fix.
Amen to that brother! I can say that I'm one of the few that do use a torque wrench and have three in my box.;)

i always find it entertaining that people who "know better" still allow monkeys to touch their stuff.
i despise changing oil, but NO ONE works on my ride but me. it gave me anxiety leaving my rig for tint... 🤣
if you can't change oil or a flat, you don't need a car, period.

i always find it entertaining that people who "know better" still allow monkeys to touch their stuff.
i despise changing oil, but NO ONE works on my ride but me. it gave me anxiety leaving my rig for tint... 🤣
if you can't change oil or a flat, you don't need a car, period.
I mean I get why people don't want to deal with changing their own oil, but I'm the same way with not trusting anyone to do anything on my vehicles.

I change my own oil and always have. The one time I had a dealer change the oil in my 04 it ended missing bolts and plastic cover in the skid plate for the drain in the oil pan. Owned the 04 since new and was leaving town and needed it done. You know the dealer won't have their ace mechanics changing oil and mechanics get paid by ticket time not by the hour. So faster a mechanic works the more he and the dealer make. It's the customer who ends up the loser.

I change my own oil and always have. The one time I had a dealer change the oil in my 04 it ended missing bolts and plastic cover in the skid plate for the drain in the oil pan. Owned the 04 since new and was leaving town and needed it done. You know the dealer won't have their ace mechanics changing oil and mechanics get paid by ticket time not by the hour. So faster a mechanic works the more he and the dealer make. It's the customer who ends up the loser.
Yeah, some of them can't be bothered with time consuming activities like reinstalling engine covers, skids, etc. I swear some dealers must need a separate dumpster for those things.

Yeah, some of them can't be bothered with time consuming activities like reinstalling engine covers, skids, etc. I swear some dealers must need a separate dumpster for those things.

Think they figure if your not doing the work yourself you'll never notice their poor workmanship. Sure they are plenty of people who today still wouldn't have a clue how to check the oil much less change it. My wife will fill the gas tank be everything past that she counts on me. I mainly in the 40/55 section and know it's very common to see 40 series for sale that are missing the skid plate.

I had the shop doing several other things that I am not equipped to do easily. It seemed like a reasonable assumption that they knew how to change the oil.

I once worked as a mechanic, it is not a matter of not knowing how. Hopefully some day you will be old too. At that point you may have a little money. You will probably be less enthusiastic about messy jobs that involve lying on you back under a car. Being willing to spend a couple extra bucks to avoid the time and mess will appeal to most of us at some point. My time has value to me.

Disposing of used oil is a hassle. Changing oil can get messy. I'd have to keep nasty containers around to catch the oil. I'd have to transport it to a place that will take it off my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom