04 vs 06VVTI LC100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, this is my first time posting after digging through these forms over the last month and I'm grateful to be taking my place in the community. I've realized after buying a Subaru Outback that it's just not enough. I then lusted after 4runners but last night just realized that aside from furl consumption difference adding up to a few hundred dollars more a year in ownership, all the benefits of owning my dream vehicle outweigh the downsides. I'm on this earth in this body with this life once and I want a Land Cruiser. I'm looking at two different vehicles right now. A 2004 in Sonora Gold, which is my favorite color as it reminds me of my ultimate vehicle, the troop carrier in sandy taupe and a 2006 in the classic white, a close second in favorite color though the Sonora Gold just looks so good.

I see that the main difference between the two is the addition on VVTI. I'm new to trucks and do plan on learning how to work on my own but at the moment I'm unsure how big of a difference this will be.

So is the 06 with VVTI the clear way to go or is it a minimal difference if both vehicles are in equally good condition?

Thanks a lot. I'm hoping to join the family soon.

My best,

David Odysseus

Both are slow. One is slower. A 15% bump in horsepower isn't insignificant. But again... these are slow trucks. Most of us are fine with that and drive them accordingly... like slow trucks. So ironically, the low horsepower probably matters less than it would in two muscle cars with a 15% difference.

Are the two trucks local? Drive them. But try to get in the mindset of how you'd drive a 100 normally.

Both are slow. One is slower. A 15% bump in horsepower isn't insignificant. But again... these are slow trucks. Most of us are fine with that and drive them accordingly... like slow trucks. So ironically, the low horsepower probably matters less than it would in two muscle cars with a 15% difference.

Are the two trucks local? Drive them. But try to get in the mindset of how you'd drive a 100 normally.

Hey. unfortunately both are about 7 hours away, though fortunately both in the same state.

I'm fine with driving slow, I already do that with my outback and when I ride motorcycles I'm the last one in the pack. Is there any benefit to gas milage or reliability with the VVTI?

Hey. unfortunately both are about 7 hours away, though fortunately both in the same state.

I'm fine with driving slow, I already do that with my outback and when I ride motorcycles I'm the last one in the pack. Is there any benefit to gas milage or reliability with the VVTI?
I love the white as well and I may actually like it more than the gold, it's just the gold reminds me of that Sandy Taupe 76. All things considered if in the same condition the 06 would be the better vehicle, huh? they both have nearly the same milage. So the 06 being 2 years newer is probably the way to go.

Lots more to consider than just vvti or not. Maintenance, rust, cost, etc.

I'll need to get maintenance records for both. the 04's frame in photos looks really good. the 06 in carfax shows it was florida car most of it's whole life. Both are now is the south east out of any consistent snow. In the 06 listing it was mentioned that he recently swapped out he motor for another 06motor with only 60k on it, which I don't fully understand and will ask more about when I hear back.

Externally they look excellent. I will get photos of the 06 frame before driving out to see them.

It's amazing how many low mileage engines there are in salvage yards, and with missing documentation. It's just a good thing those salvage yard operators are impeccably honest.

I have a 04 and 06. The 06 is noticeably faster, even before I built my 04. Now that my 04 is built it would certainly be nice to have the VTTI.

My 04 is in the shop getting re-geared. Not because it was too slow, although it is a little, but because I’m putting in front and rear lockers:flipoff2:

I have a 04 and 06. The 06 is noticeably faster, even before I built my 04. Now that my 04 is built it would certainly be nice to have the VTTI.

My 04 is in the shop getting re-geared. Not because it was too slow, although it is a little, but because I’m putting in front and rear lockers:flipoff2:

Okay, so all things considered, the 06 with the VVTI is a better choice. Does the VVTI affect reliability at all? I know we don't buy land cruisers for fuel economy but is there a positive or negative effect of MPG?

I have both. '04 and '06 as well. They are basically the same except for the interference VVTI engine. Due to it being an interference and the '04 not, if the deals were the same regarding mileage vs. condition vs. price, I would not hesistate to go with the '04. I also like the brighter tail lights in the '04 (and in my '99,'00 and '02) that are NOT LED lights like in the '06. The '06 is a bit quicker but the '04 is mighty nice.

I have an 05 and an 07. The latter is slightly quicker. I do not prefer one over another, although I prefer the 05's lack of hydraulic suspension. Hence, when there is a question of possibly selling one, I could never decide. Like others say, look into the history and condition of each - this should be the deciding factor. If you buy a truck that will need new cats, needs a break system update, cooling system service, timing belt, fluids and rust mitigation - you are in for an adventure and expensive education.

I have both. '04 and '06 as well. They are basically the same except for the interference VVTI engine. Due to it being an interference and the '04 not, if the deals were the same regarding mileage vs. condition vs. price, I would not hesistate to go with the '04. I also like the brighter tail lights in the '04 (and in my '99,'00 and '02) that are NOT LED lights like in the '06. The '06 is a bit quicker but the '04 is mighty nice.

So the lack of interference engine in the 04 is a benefit? I'm learning as I go and this is all realitively new to me. IH8Mud has been a wealth of information already.
The 04, at least in photos, is in very good condition with no rust or body damage. the 06 looks equally good from the outside and inside but there were no frame photos and I haven't heard back from the seller yet.

So the lack of interference engine in the 04 is a benefit? I'm learning as I go and this is all realitively new to me. IH8Mud has been a wealth of information already.
The 04, at least in photos, is in very good condition with no rust or body damage. the 06 looks equally good from the outside and inside but there were no frame photos and I haven't heard back from the seller yet.
06 and 07 are the last two years: They got the VVTI (variable valve timing) engine that makes about 15% more power. They power difference is definitely noticeable, someone here posted a video of VVTI cruiser beating a supercharged non-vvti on a flat out drag race.
They also have an interference type engine meaning that if the timing belt ever breaks the pistons might mash into the valves, causing extensive engine damage.
They also have more modern looking 1 piece headlights and LED tail lights. Being the last two years of production and higher power output, they fetch more money and will always be worth more than an otherwise similar condition 04 and earlier.

2003 thru 2005 have the same interior, transmission etc but a non-interference engine. They fetch a little less money that 06-07.

The engine issue is not important IMO - as long as you use OEM parts and replace timing belt every 90K miles you never have to worry about them breaking. I would pick the 06 as long as it is almost as nice as the 04 and doesn't cost too much more.

[/QU
These engines run forever with a little maintenance so someone did not maintain the engine what else was not maintained? I would steer clear of the one with the replaced engine.

I haven't driven a 5spd non-VVTI, but my VVTI 5 spd is much more nimble than my 4 spd non-VVTI. Even with the VVTI one fully armored.

If the newer one has AHC, that's something to consider. I love the system and find well worth the added complexity, but there are plenty here than fear the complexity and any added risk of failure. If the fancy newer engine and fancy suspension is appealing to you, go for newer. If you like it simple, albeit a little less capable, go for 05 and earlier.

Great thing to point out. If the engine was replaced on a truck that last forever, something must have gone wrong. I hadn't thought of it like that. Now that I know I'm settled on a LC I will happily play the waiting game until the right deal comes my way.

Everyone wants the vvti.
With it, you will get secondary air pump and it's associated problems. Also some parts which are specific to 06-07s such as fuel pump, exhaust parts, aftermarket headers not fitting. Vvti Land cruisers usually got the AHC as well.

All in all, I've never driven the vvti. But I have driven the 5 speed and felt that I'm perfectly content with the 4speed 02 that I have. Incredibly easy to service, whereas the 5 speed will need a little bit more steps. Also the VVti engines won't be as simple to service cam seals if they do start to weep.

That's the trade-off.

What size tires are you running and what gears are you going to? I'm going to order gears and lockers on BF sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom