'04 LC Aftermarket Head Unit w/Climate - It Can Be Done!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The blue/white wire from that specific pioneer harness needs to connect to the blue AND the blue/white on the metra, auto antenna would work then.
Verify your metra has a blue and blue/white, in pins 3 and 13, or a jummper, and connect them together and then connect that to your blue/white remote on that deck. Some pioneer harnesses have both a blue and a blue/white.

There's a small antenna adapter plug and a Y harness to use both antennas if reception is lacking. -
Scosche Mda-B Micro/Delco Antenna Adapter Tip
METRA 40-UV43 MALE TO FEMALE MOTOROLA ANTENNA CABLE

JerryB, great insight as always. The Metra harness DOES have a blue wire, but I left that unconnected as I didn't capture this from the FSM wiring diagram. I'm going to pick up that antenna plug/adapter, pop the stereo panel back out, and connect that blue wire along with the second antenna. Thanks!

Anybody have any clue what this is?

View attachment 1594790

I unplugged it from my main antenna and took it out. My factory nav still works, so I have no idea what this was supposed to do. It had another thick cable that ran into the dash behind the steering wheel, and I just coiled it up, zip-tied it, and left it in case it was a critical thing I might need later.

I found the same thing in my 04 Tundra. I have no idea what it is or what it does...
If you have or find any info let me know. I originally removed it and the radio no longer worked so I just plugged it back in and radio works as intended

Out of curiosity... what was the impetus for this? What extra functionality did you gain that you couldn't get with something like a VAIS box and a smart phone or tablet?

Out of curiosity... what was the impetus for this? What extra functionality did you gain that you couldn't get with something like a VAIS box and a smart phone or tablet?
Great question. I figured if I was going to put money into a VAIS or GROM, I might as well put it toward a new head unit. I'm a big fan of Apple Car Play, having used it in a number of rental cars (if I were an Android guy, I'd probably be a big fan of Android Auto), and I really wanted the Car Play functionality. That was probably the #1 factor.

As it was, I ONLY had the radio, as the '04 had no streaming audio bluetooth or even an aux jack (and the CD changer didn't work; I don't have any CDs anyway).

The Pioneer not only gave me the CarPlay, but Bluetooth for my phone (the stock cellphone bluetooth integration was horrible), the clean XM compatibility, integrated Pandora/Spotify streaming (I no longer use Spotify but I use Pandora daily and yes, you can stream that from phone to a VAIS or GROM using BT). Keeping the stock tape deck gave me nothing except a clean stock look, which, personally, was not that important to me. By the way, the Apple Maps display on Car Play is fantastic, so nice to have a 21st nav display. If Pioneer's app ever gets updated to be compatible with iOS 11, I understand that it will allow Waze mirroring as well.

Believe me, I asked myself that question a few times before laying down the $$ and attempting the install, but I'm glad I did it.

Isn't going with a head unit like such the only way to have rca connections to run aftermarket amps without going with line level converter.
That is my understanding, but I'm not an expert. There are no RCA outs from the factory unit, and I don't believe that there are RCAs at the factory amp, either. Everyone one running a factory HU with aftermarket amps would have to be using the line level converters.

Looks good.
The blue/white wire from that specific pioneer harness needs to connect to the blue AND the blue/white on the metra, auto antenna would work then. To be more clear, both the black/red for the antenna trigger and the black/red amp trigger, pins 3 and 13 need the blue/white wire from that pioneer.
Verify your metra has a blue and blue/white, in pins 3 and 13, or a jummper, and connect them together and then connect that to your blue/white remote on that deck. Some pioneer harnesses have both a blue and a blue/white.

There's a small antenna adapter plug and a Y harness to use both antennas if reception is lacking. -
Scosche Mda-B Micro/Delco Antenna Adapter Tip
METRA 40-UV43 MALE TO FEMALE MOTOROLA ANTENNA CABLE

This is very useful - both for the wiring, and for the diversity antenna connector...

I hope this doesn't bother anyone. I have an pioneer AVH X7800BT I need to get rid of to help offset the cost of anAC amplfier I need for the 2006 non nav conversion. It's a cheaper version of the 3300 NEX. send a note if interested. Cheap

IMG_20170502_105001.jpg

Hey thinking of going this route instead of the Vaistech adapter method. Do you have any photos of this all cleaned up and finished? I'm sure cutting something out of plastic or painted aluminum or something would look good. How far does this stick out?

how far out it ends up depends on how many times you want to open it back up and get and extra 1/8 inch. It's tedious and your side vent panels will get hairline cracks in them eventually. I found an interesting picture today, I'll go look for it again.

i saw this today on land-cruiser-ru. those dudes are crazy. lol. They have old 100s with with 2003 MDFs, adding the auto climate control resistor, resoldering the AC amp board to get Fahrenheit, etc. They take their s*** serious. I think what makes it more funny is google translate.

lower deck mount.jpg

mine before I took it out. It was in there for two months.

IMG_20170126_091530.jpg

IMG_20170127_091511.jpg

Any idea if the A/c, Climate control will work if the MFD is removed?

Hey thinking of going this route instead of the Vaistech adapter method. Do you have any photos of this all cleaned up and finished? I'm sure cutting something out of plastic or painted aluminum or something would look good. How far does this stick out?
Sorry for the delay! I'm travelling right now so can't measure anything for you, but I don't think it sticks out too far. I haven't cleaned it up yet, mainly because it hasn't bothered me yet. However, I'm thinking of just having a strip of black leather or vinyl wrapped around it to hide the bare metal than have a trim plate fitted up against the plastic. That would close off the hole and give it a look similar to the transfer case shifter boot.

This particular model also lets you adjust how far out the screen comes and how much tilt it has, so there's a little bit of customization you can do. I'm very happy with the setup and would do it all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom