‘03 Sequoia front 3rd compatibility? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joseywales

Renaissance Redneck
Threads
My Sequoia hasn’t wanted to run in 4wd since shortly after I bought it. PO stated he had used it a few days before I bought the truck and everything was “fine”. To be fair, it has a stupid amount of money poured into it (he had receipts for $11,500 USD for suspension, tires, wheels, PM etc etc.) Basically he baselined it, and put $10k into suspension and rubber and rims. I have receipts for a dif service not long before I bought it.

Fast forward a year, and I wanted to get the 4wd sorted. Had a mechanic friend here so took the opportunity to have me on the key and switches while he was reading output from connections on t-case and front dif. We got the actuators working, but still no 4wd. He said do an oil change and see if there is gunk preventing the collar from moving in t-case etc. I drained the front dif first, and found the below pictures. Perfectly normal, right?

1F029C25-8804-4ED3-89EB-DF9CDFEB5778.jpeg

838B4A5B-37B7-45D9-9FDF-C668C3A3CD3F.jpeg

1B0A455D-EA19-44F4-923D-CFFAA15FC1EF.jpeg

So okay, maybe not perfect…

Any idea which other Toyotas from the era would use the same 4.10 front dif? I’m thinking Taco and 4Runner may, as well as Tundra? I’d like to just swap the 3rd if I can…

03 Sequoia and Tundra share the same front end (2000-06 Tundra and 01-07 Sequoia) The other front ends are different.

Thanks Mike!

I actually found a well priced 3rd this morning and it’s being shipped soon. Hope it is a good one, and fixes my 4wd.

Since everyone likes a follow up, here it is. I ended up getting the full front dif including add actuator from a big parts warehouse. It is a used unit, but when it arrived the gear oil left in it was clean. I rotated the yoke and both sides moved smoothly, and watched ring gear rotate through the drain plug hole. All the teeth looked great, with a normal wear pattern. So I gave it a couple of flushes and swishes, splashed some paint on, and threw it in. Well, threw is a bit of a stretch with the 110* heat here, but it’s now in, and my 4wd functions perfectly!

Pics below of the tidied up used one, and the internals of the one I took out that apparently “worked fine just last week”.

C504C1E9-FB80-4D3B-AC51-0D82760843A3.jpeg

BB92A0E7-23EA-4DBE-A20A-2E74371A41C7.jpeg

2601B6F1-5D32-4630-9B96-21BA5A5A0D88.jpeg

9C6B4FB1-7E38-42A2-BFD9-9D443167CB17.jpeg

Now I’m not the type of guy to get too upset about small repairs, but I do REALLY hate being blatantly lied to. The guy who sold me the truck was trying to get on at a major city fire dept where a friend of mine is a capt. I figured he wouldn’t outright lie to someone who could give a good reference in his new career. Apparently this guy is not honest at all, so I’m glad I didn’t put my neck out and recommend him. There is no room for lying d-bags in my life…

Last edited:
Since everyone likes a follow up, here it is. I ended up getting the full front dif including add actuator from a big parts warehouse. It is a used unit, but when it arrived the gear oil left in it was clean. I rotated the yoke and both sides moved smoothly, and watched ring gear rotate through the drain plug hole. All the teeth looked great, with a normal wear pattern. So I gave it a couple of flushes and swishes, splashed some paint on, and threw it in. Well, threw is a bit of a stretch with the 110* heat here, but it’s now in, and my 4wd functions perfectly!

Pics below of the tidied up used one, and the internals of the one I took out that apparently “worked fine just last week”.

View attachment 3403298

View attachment 3403299

View attachment 3403300

View attachment 3403301

Now I’m not the type of guy to get too upset about small repairs, but I do REALLY hate being blatantly lied to. The guy who sold me the truck was trying to get on at a major city fire dept where a friend of mine is a capt. I figured he wouldn’t outright lie to someone who could give a good reference in his new career. Apparently this guy is not honest at all, so I’m glad I didn’t put my neck out and recommend him. There is no room for lying d-bags in my life…
HOLY SCHNEIKIES!!! THAT'S SO BAD!!!

Yeah, serious bad karma headed sellers way. It was only $239 for a used front dif in excellent shape, and too hot to do any real work the day I did the swap, so not an expensive repair. Still annoying though.

He still claims it worked, and that he never heard any sounds of breakage. Unreal! I’m sure there would have been some serious nasty noises going on when that let go!

Yeah, serious bad karma headed sellers way. It was only $239 for a used front dif in excellent shape, and too hot to do any real work the day I did the swap, so not an expensive repair. Still annoying though.

He still claims it worked, and that he never heard any sounds of breakage. Unreal! I’m sure there would have been some serious nasty noises going on when that let go!
Great price on the replacement

Did you get it all sorted out and working?

I've never seen such internals THAT bad.

Did you get it all sorted out and working?

I've never seen such internals THAT bad.
You bet. Piece of cake. It works perfectly now. I kept the actuator off the dead dif and now have a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom