02/1980 Front Pinion Preload Dilema (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, so here is the current speed bump and would like to see some input as to the proper steps forward. This front axle is from an 02/1980 FJ40 and I have it stripped down to what you see in the picture for doing a complete knuckle rebuild. I was not planning on pulling the differential out and just wire brushing/blasting, and then new coat of paint, but.........the pinion has zero or close to zero preload. The flange is tight, does not wobble, or move in any way that is not normal. So, I have 2 options as I see it.

Option 1 - Do nothing with it and reassemble with the knuckle rebuild, new paint and run it
Option 2 - Correct the preload and then reassemble, etc.

This will be a daily driver (parked in the winter), weekend trail riding maybe a dozen times a year or so. If I go with option 2, what is the correct procedure to add the proper preload? Not sure if this would have a crush sleeve or not. If so, that would make for an easy fix to increase the preload.

Thanks for reading......thoughts please.

1623863950928.png

Because it is the front end and isn't used for pulling daily just connecting the wheels I'd vote for leaving it as is; as long as the seal doesn't leak. The lack of preload you're feeling is simply all the parts wearing in, pinion bearings as well as ring and pinion.

If it leaks then consider new a complete rebuild.

Because it is the front end and isn't used for pulling daily just connecting the wheels I'd vote for leaving it as is; as long as the seal doesn't leak. The lack of preload you're feeling is simply all the parts wearing in, pinion bearings as well as ring and pinion.

If it leaks then consider new a complete rebuild.
Hi, thanks for the reply. No leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom