Hardtop storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I just bought a 1977 FJ-40 for my wife. (She wanted a convertable) and would like to take the top off. I have reasearched that thread and think I can get it off.

What would be the best way to store the top? Anyone have any idea?

Mike El Paso TLCA 8009

best way is in one piece, but that's also hard to do if you don't have a lot of room. if your overhead beams in the garage are strong enough, you can make a hoist and keep it stored up in the rafters. i used to break my 78's top down all they way and it's amazing the places you can store it then.

If you have a shop or garage with open rafters ratchet straps would do great. They would make it easier to remove the top and hold it up out of the way. (Back in the garage). If you are more in my boat with neither a shop or a garage you can stack some bricks with a 2x4 on top and set it down . Of course I live in the boonies and my neighbors could't care less. City type neighbors might not appreciate the lawn decoration :flamingo:

Chris

I often don't have help to remove or install the top. Instead of taking it off whole, I take it off in pieces. That way I can handle it by myself and it stores easily against a wall of the garage. I place a length of foam pipe insulation over the rear gutter of the fiberglass top and stand it up against the wall. It doesn't take much room at all that way. The rest of the parts (doors, sides) fit between the top and the wall.

I vote pieces. Usually something needs to be dicked with anyway. In pieces, I keep mine in the glove box when the soft top is on.

Ed

Degnol said:
I vote pieces. Usually something needs to be dicked with anyway. In pieces, I keep mine in the glove box when the soft top is on.

Ed
that's a mighty big glove box... :grinpimp:

Up on the rafters in the garage seems to be the way to go. I put mine up there a couple of days ago to get it out of the way.
roofrafters.jpg

I have a shed in my backyard. I put it in there in one peice about 14 months ago. I have been running the soft top year round, but then I aprk it in the Garage and don't take it out much in the winter. I do try and drive it at least once a week.

I built a dolly the width accross the back ( where the rear doors hinge)of the hard top. I made two sides for it about four feet or so. I then set the hard top on the dolly so the part that connects the widshield is pointing stright up. With a couple 1X2's screwed into the sides like a cradle, I can then dolly the HT anywhere out of the way it takes up little space and the doors and other stuff can sit inside the cradle.

Got pics of that desertdude?

Unfortunately i do not have photos of it with me, and I am on the road. I'll see if I can draw something up and post back.

Three people make it real easy; one in the back and one on each side by the driver's/passenger seat. No fancy hoist but it holds it securely and out of harm's way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom