Axel vents? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last Sunday TheGr8Doughboy riding shotgun and I take the 40 out for its maiden voyage on the trails (his new 350 ate into his radiator and de-comished the 60 for the day). The area we were in is a plethora of rocks, mud and small stream crossings (typical valley and ridge stuff in Virginia). Besides the obvious need for a lift kit and some other basics everything seems to be up to par for the trails that I’m to encounter in the future...well...until I need more anyhow!

Question is if I’m to encounter deeper streams in the future with the addition of a snorkel etc. how high should I run the axel vents?
And Two
Is it necessary to even vent the axels at all? Can I not just seal the axel vents completely...Its not like there is compression at all, right?

Peace
Neal

i am running mine all the way up to the carb. and yes you need them, if you drive hot axles in cold water all sealed up, you run the rish of blowing out your seals.

yes you need to vent them as you drive around they get hot pressure builds when you hit cold water they cool causing a vacume. if you seal them it will force oil through the seals. i ran all my vents together to a little filter on the firewall, just used t's to connect the axles and the transfer case together. i found a little filter about 2" dia. that the vent hose fit in to (has a small rubber gromet in the bottom) at the auto parts store

TheGr8Doughboy on the drive suggested that he might try to do a setup with a line and an expansion chamber. My thought was something similar to a shock with an external reservoir and cooling fins (like blistens new off road shocks).
Any ideas?

search for "accordion, atv" in this forum under the name "woody" and you'll come up with some cool bellow-style atv expansion champers that you can install right on the axle, or higher up. This completely sealed system is nice.

I'm running 1/4" clear tube from both axles to the top of the firewall and through a fuel filter screen and then the tube terminates inside the firewall- I would have to be really deep for awhile for water to enter. If you are planning on a snorkel you could run lines so you could tap them into the snorkel.

FYI a 1/8" NPT fitting will work in the factory metric breather threads. Look in tech, there is a writeup on how to deal with the brake line tee on the rear axle.

Also FYI you will need to do more than extended axle/tcase breathers and a snorkel to run water over the hood.

Thanks GA didnt think about tapping into the snorkel, good Idea. And yeah I know I need to do a lot more as far as water proofing but Im starting from the bottom and working up. Fortunately with the 302 swap and a desmog theres a lot less to go through, still need to upgrade the fuseblock and seal plus go over and rewire most of the rig wrap and seal plus axel rebuilds, seals ...etc...

Thanx

I just popped the caps off of the vents and ran fuel line up into the cab (back) and fire wall in the front. Has worked for years. And yes you need the vents. Water doesn't like 90 wt.

Later,

Toyota actually makes axle breathers that are set up for extension hoses. :grinpimp:
axle_breather_set.jpg

Nice...
you wouldn't happen to have a part# for those, would you?

manny

That would be MarksOffRoad PN: 100-11RX $7.00 each. ;)

65swb45 said:
Toyota actually makes axle breathers that are set up for extension hoses. :grinpimp:

Will those thead into a 70' axel or does it have some screwwy thead like the brake line fittings?

Ground Up, will the part number for the Taco tech article fit the FJ40 threads?

FineWynsFJ40 said:
Ground Up, will the part number for the Taco tech article fit the FJ40 threads?

I almost 100% sure they are. I have not ordered a set yet for myself. They are on my list to get done soon.

trw said:
Will those thead into a 70' axel or does it have some screwwy thead like the brake line fittings?

Only the early brake lines have the weird stuff. The axle vents are standard.

I've read that running your axle vents up into your snorkel is not good, but I'm not sure I agree. The same guy said that your air intake will put vacuum on all your breather tubes. Well, that makes sense, but he also mentioned that this was bad, and I have yet to figure out why?

I can't imagine that any vacuum is going to over-power the internal expansion/contraction of the gases in your components (be it t-case, tranny or axle)...

...Any thoughts on this?

BTW, this is a mod I will be doing very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom