Munch munch, diff soup w/ a side of CV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Well, I went to extract a friend's brother's Jeep today.... he was stuck in some deep snow. I figured a quick backward pull with a strap would do. Locked both diffs and laid into it easy. The tires dug, then grabbed, then crunch and munch... short of it, pretty sure the diff and a CV nuked.

Time to correct this weak link! I have some idea's in my head.... anyone have anything else they've been mulling over?

bjowett said:
Well, I went to extract a friend's brother's Jeep today.... he was stuck in some deep snow. I figured a quick backward pull with a strap would do. Locked both diffs and laid into it easy. The tires dug, then grabbed, then crunch and munch... short of it, pretty sure the diff and a CV nuked.

Time to correct this weak link! I have some idea's in my head.... anyone have anything else they've been mulling over?

I always thought that these backward pulls were prohibited, something about something being significantly weaker in reverse? As a result the only thing I mull over when i'm working at extracting someone is to do it in drive. Was this a situation somehow where you were not able to approach in reverse and takeoff in drive? Sorry to hear about the crunch and munch though, that sucks.

The coast-side of that reverse pinion is not that strong.

The front differential uses a reverse-cut gear with high pinion. When driven in reverse, the pinion contacts the ring gear teeth on the weak side. This can spell disaster under heavy loads. Good luck with the rebuild.

Def weaker in reverse. I'm sure Christo will chime in about his fun adventures too while in R.

Birfield should be fine though I'd expect.

Yeah, I knew about the reverse rotation unit.... figured a CJ5 w/ 30" tires would not place to much of a load.... my bad. :D

I'm considering an FZJ80 rear axle, build it to fit the front... 100 series CV joints, that would require custom axles though, not usually a fan of a custom consumable part, though.

Not really a weak link. Easy to blow the diff on any vehicle in reverse. They're simply not built to pull hard in reverse - especially with a locker engaged. In snow with the 80 locked, you may have applied 200 lbs/ft (2000rpm) times 2.5 low range = 500ftlbs to a single side of the diff. Nothing out there made for that this side of mining equipment.

Bummer that happened, but likely the birf is fine - just the diff that's toast. Small consolation, I know!

DougM

just replace the R&P and go with some new 4340 Longs. i have been in alot of situations in reverse where this has gone through my mind but never pulling anyone. I think you will be fine. the strenght issue in reverse to me is nill unluss you plan on pulling alot of people out. Plus its the High pinion which is way nice.....

Glas I read this thread, I pulled an Isuzu Rodeo out of a large hole not to long ago and didn't do any damage. That's the last time I try it in reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom