Floorboard rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to repair/replace the floor of the 40 and I finally got out the rusted hunk of metal some PO put in and got a look at the original floor. Pics are below, how fawked am I? (the gory holes are from all the cutting it took to get the patch job out)

I am thinking of cutting out the major stamped sections, one for the fuel tank and one for the t-case, and welding them into a whole new floor. But then I wouldn't have the small stamped sections that reinforce the floor. Can I spot weld reinforcements on? Alternately, think a good sheet metal shop or stamping plant may be able to stamp in some reinforcing ridges? It doesn't have to match original and I don't want to pay for custom tooling. I am looking for ideas here.

I am also wondering if divide and conquer might be the way to go. I was looking at it tonight and wondering if i could take the floor out in 4 sections, one at a time, repairing each section then replacing it. I would cut along the rail that reinforces the floor from underneath. Anyone tried this?

I am primarily interested in options that involve fabrication, not buying replacement parts.

I should also probably add the caveat that I am not attempting a faithful restoration, I want to weld some new metal in (but do it well) and get the 40 painted and rhinolined so I can go back to working on mechanical mods. I am tired of it looking like s***e.
Feb27_10.JPG
Feb28_17.JPG

I need to take better pictures. The floor is completely detached from the rest of the body except for about the weld where it meets the cowl floor.
Feb28_16.JPG

If not wanting to go with replacement panels, i'd cut out the enitre floor and redo it with some 12 guage and supporting ribs underneath. F messing with the original metal for the tank and just weld up a box that would fit the stock tank. Do a search on here and you should come up with a few people who have redone their floor with tread plate or sheet steel. I also remember a guy a while back using the stamped sheet out of a pickup bed to redo his floor but that may be too booty fab for your tastes. After having redone a tub, I'd seriously suggest looking at an alum tub or used steel tub if the rest of your chit is in the same condition. :cheers:

I replaced the whole floor pretty much in my 55 I threw a few supports on there but I dont think they were needed. Just use some good thick steel it is strong enough to support the weight.

I did the CCOT floor panels and they worked great. Welded to the rocker panel and to the cab mount and the box behind the seats. Looks original, just have to weld into the old floor for around the trans hump and tack in nuts for the seat mounts.

I looked at the CCOT panels and the price wasn't terrible, have any pics?

I decided to make a new floorboard. So I cut out a new floor and then cut out the little hump over the t-case levers from the old floor and welded it in to the new floor as that looked like a pain to fab. My metal bending facilities are a ball peen hammer and a bench vise.

The holes are drilled for the cowl and just need new nuts tacked in. I need to make an indentation for the fuel tank tommorow. The original one is bondo and tin foil, so i can't cut that out and weld it back in to the new floor :doh:
floor4.JPG
floor2.JPG
floor1.JPG

Damn thats a good looking cruiser Toyo... I wish my rust bucket looked like that. Thanks for the pics!

IanB said:
Damn thats a good looking cruiser Toyo... I wish my rust bucket looked like that. Thanks for the pics!

It's getting there... Still have the seats to install than I have to start on the roof and doors.

This is what it looked like last year before the cowl and frame swap.

I need to fab up the indentation for the gas tank, I can't cut the old one out and use it, its shot. Does anyone have any pics of one they have done, I'm looking for ideas.

Yeah I read that whole thread, cool rebuild. I was looking for other ideas for mine, something with sloped sides maybe, though its probably a waste of effort as its just hidden by the gas tank anyway.

On the bright side the pirate link above didn't work, but i got thier 404 error page and it was hilarious!

The floor is done, so here's my shameless "I did it" pic post...

This was my first TIG project as well as my first experience with sheet metal. All my welding to date has been putting equipment back together for logging, and that was years ago. Any suggestions to improve?
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 008.jpg

Great work man. Should like nice when its installed. Cant wait to get started on mine...

You suck :flipoff2: My first sheet steel experience was a friggin disaster. :D Lookin clean. Any plans on bedlining your floor or are you gonna stick with paint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom