bezel question/observation(maybe) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i got this brand new round bezel today(dead part). Question is........has anyone seen a new OEM bezel? I ask because this one is not off white, its tan.......and its never been painted(99.99% sure)

found it odd.........but then my 65 fj40 bezel is almost tan or a deep off white and its never been painted(real sure) but not the same color

73550712.jpg

73550706.jpg

when typing this I actaully started looking thru some lit and noticed this(looks the same to me)
66525675.jpg

as does this
64328748.jpg

but not this
64328731.jpg

this is the 65 bezel I am pretty sure is original, not tan, not off white, kinda a tan/white
68793435.jpg

and an original sqaure bezel(for comparison)
70811398.jpg

I am kinda thinkin they came in a few shades/colors.......as I know the sqaure bezels are white and alot of round bezels(some of which must be original paint) I am thinking maybe a change in the mid 70's from the tanish to off white, then the square bezel, think the 60s stuff was yet a different off white/tan.

69 color I thought was Shell Ivory, which is the color of the top, thought they matched........maybe not

(OK so I needed something to get my mind off work ;)

The 74 FJ40 I use to have (1979-1984) had a white Bezel and I know that was the factory paint job at the time.

Geee, I wonder were it is now? Sold it to a guy from evergreen I think.

Hmm. The bezel that came with my FJ45 is gray as well. I just assumed it had been primered, An I expect it was. Perhaps that is what you are seeing, Pimp? Factory primer?

gray? this is alot more tan. its not(almost sure) primer as on the backside you can see the black primer, this is paint and very smooth and glossy

but to me it looks the same as the red and mustard 40's(from lit)

IDave said:
Hmm. The bezel that came with my FJ45 is gray as well. I just assumed it had been primered, An I expect it was. Perhaps that is what you are seeing, Pimp? Factory primer?

Pimp, My '72 is white and has the same tan colored bezel. Nice find!

The bezel on my '78 is like that in the 2nd pic, really off white-almost grey/tan.

so it seem like there was a few different bezel colors, interesting.

and the one I have I got on Ebay :D

forgot to show my driveway entry lights............

70862382.jpg

and they are on a motion sensor :D
73555068.jpg

it was Connie's idea ;)

The bezel on my '82 is exactly the color of the your new one, and I'm sure it's never been repainted.

Bill

82 should look like my green 82fj 40, which is exactaly the same as my mustard 82. I am gonnna order a new sqaure bezel and see what it looks like, maybe there were 2 shades of the sqaure bezels, but looking thru all my pics they all look the same as my 82's

billmc said:
The bezel on my '82 is exactly the color of the your new one, and I'm sure it's never been repainted.

Bill

Note that the original finish of the fiberglass top is also not really 'appliance white' like it is customary to repaint, but rather an off-white kind of pearl or oyster color.

funny I didn't notice this on the box untill this morning but it lists the bezel as 3/69-2/79.

top for a 69ish fj40 is "suppose" to be shell ivory" and I assumed the bezel was to be the same......but I guess not(always)

Landpimp said:
82 should look like my green 82fj 40, which is exactaly the same as my mustard 82. I am gonnna order a new sqaure bezel and see what it looks like, maybe there were 2 shades of the sqaure bezels, but looking thru all my pics they all look the same as my 82's

Maybe I'm misremembering, but whenever I see it (my 40's in peices in a barn in VT right now) I'm always amazed at how non-white it really is. When I'm in VT over Thanksgiving I'll take a pic of it so we can compare. The only pic I have of it now was taken with a flash which makes it much brighter than with natural light. It might have more green in it than yours.

Bill

man do I have issues........I just ordered the last OEM sqaure bezel in the US, but I am sure there are more in japan. so the old one is gonna get chromed :D

we re-ran the round bezel parts # and have had no luck :(

If you flip a 79+ bezel, the headlight alignment screws will not be readily accessible.

YUP.......thats part of the point :D

heres the deal around my place, NO ONE comes by without calling.......

desertdude said:
Ah... wouldn't the driveway lights confuse someone entering that a car was coming out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom