K&N for the 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just curious how many of you have put a k&n air filter in your fj80. just trying to get the most power for my buck....thought i would start there.

some have tried them and seem to like them. others have tried them and think they let in too much dirt/dust. still others use both OEM and K&N -- using K&N on the freeway and city and OEM when going off-road. some will claim that it's the worst possible thing you can do, others will say that it's a waste of money. some think they get a performance boost, others didn't notice anything.

if you want details, search the archives.

If you think going to K&N is going to get you any power increase, then please put away the hash pipe. I would also not use it when offroading or even on dirt roads.

K & N filter in 80 series...

I have put the K&N in my 93' 80 series as well as my 96' supercharged 80 series. I am very happy with it. Best of all I can clean it instead of just replacing it. worth the money to me, but then again I am only comparing it to a stock one no other aftermarket ones.

I will sell you mine for $25. It has 12,000 miles on it.

If K&N filters are so bad show me an Off-road racing vehicle, motor builder, or oil analyzer that does not endorse and use them.

If your K&N filter does not work for you one can only assume that it not cleaned, maintained, and oiled properly.

K&N factoid - #1 selling K&N filter is for a Harley

Flame on

some K&N users find more silicon (dirt) in their oil when analyzed some do not, I would suspect it depends on how dusty the driving conditions are, my truck came with one I replaced it with an OEM paper filter, the K&N for the 80 is much smaller than the OEM filter, if you want a oiled gauze filter get the TRD

I have used K&N, TRD and OEM air filters. In my case I prefer the TRD to the K&N as it is larger in OD and appears to have more surface area. I have experienced more "stuff" getting past the washable filters than the OEM paper filter. YMMV on that one. I do know that an improperly oiled filter (over-oiled) will foul the air flow sensor on the heated wire vehicles such as 95+ 80's and Tacoma's ETC. I prefer to run the OEM paper filter off-road.

As an interesting foot-note the OEM 17801-66030 has just changed numbers to 17801-61030. The filters look identical to include a little red stripe around the inside of the filter. BUT, the new number has a sticker on the end with instructions for "CLEANING WITH WATER" :eek:

It says:

1. BLOW DIRT OFF WITH COMPRESSED AIR.
2. SUBMERGE FILTER ELEMENT IN WATER AND AGITATE IT UP AND DOWN MORE THAN 10 TIMES.
3. REPEAT RINSING IN CLEAN WATER UNTIL RINSE WATER IS CLEAR.
4. REMOVE WATER BY SHAKING ELEMENT OR BLOWING WITH COMPRESSED AIR.

NOTE DO NOT BEAT OR DROP FILTER ELEMENT.

The instructions are in English, French, Spanish and Arabic.

There is even a picture for Junk to look at...:flipoff2:

come on, make me an offer on the K&N. I'm not going to bid against myself here.

Dan which one did you just sell me? and, while we are at it what is the difference between the 3FE and 1FZ filters? They are almost identical in size yet look significantly different.

The number just changd, I got the first one a couple days ago. I compared it to a 66030 that I had on the shelf and they are absolutely identical except for the label and the part number molded on the endcap. I bet you could wash a 66030 as well.

Oh, the new one costs $5.50 more than the old one. (must be the nice label :rolleyes: )

I believe that factory service manual references cleaning the filter with water. I do know that I read somewhere Toyota specific instructions along the lines of "using only water" to clean. I.E don't use soap or solvents.

With respect to K&N filters, I have always been suspecious and will not use one. TRD likewise. I do recall a satisfied K&N user reporting that the inside of his air cleaner to intake manifold rubber tube only contained a light amount of dust. That report prompted me to pull and examine my air tube. After 50k total miles, many of which were on extremely dry powdery dusty roads, the type were the dust trail billows up in the air and is visible for miles, all with the factory filter, and there was zero visible dust inside the tube. Take it how ever you like.

and the reasons for the difference btw 3FE and 1FZ filters?

i have already bought my filter semlin but thanks. i suppose i will give it a shot and hold on to the OEM filter for offroad.

semlin said:
and the reasons for the difference btw 3FE and 1FZ filters?

I have had them side-by-side in the past and they are virtually identical in size. I was out of the 17801-68020 (3FE filter) today so I could not take a fresh look. As I recall the difference was in the filter media.

LandCruiserPhil said:
If K&N filters are so bad show me an Off-road racing vehicle, motor builder, or oil analyzer that does not endorse and use them.
Yes, if they are a sponsor they will likely use their product won't they? You are comparing apples to bolts. Talk to someone on the dirt track circuit or similiar and you'll hear the same from them. They are not concerned about the same issues we are.

Phil who's credibility is sinking fast said:
Yup. Amazing what a marketing budget can accomlish. :flipoff2:

Phil you know you don't need to tell us this part said:
:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiserPhil

Yes, if they are a sponsor they will likely use their product won't they? You are comparing apples to bolts. Talk to someone on the dirt track circuit or similiar and you'll hear the same from them. They are not concerned about the same issues we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil who's credibility is sinking fast

Yup. Amazing what a marketing budget can accomlish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil you know you don't need to tell us this part
Flame on

JUNK Think about it a little bit more and you'll agree with me, because you're smart and I'm right

Phil

Phil - I think Junk is spot on here. The builders and racers have completely different needs than you or I might. They don't expect their engines to last very long -- if you're tearing down an engine after every couple races, who cares if it eats some dirt.

Most of what people promote is because there a whole lot of $$$ involved with sponsorship. To take this arguement to an extreme, if tampax started a line of air filters and offered up cash and free filters, you'd start seeing these guys swear that tampax is the only way to go...

well, fwiw, I washed a Sears shop vac filter with a hose for 10 years or so... finally gave up the ghost with the folds splitting up, but I think that was mostly from vaccuuming up water.
Must have washed it at least 10 times...
eh, what can I say, I've got kids to feed... (and they start to eat a lot, the little preteen monsters... :) )
E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom