Starting....How many "cranks" before your's starts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious. How many times does your engine turn over when you are starting it, before it comes to life? Mine is more than I would like, but it may be normal for the beast. I'll tell you mine after I hear some answers (and after I go out and actually count!).

Avg 3 times on mine.

It has been mentioned on other posts that 4-6 (which is mine) is normal for the 80s. I don't think 7-8 is extemely unusual.

Brentbba said:

ditto ditto :D

However, I have yet to start it when it's 30 below.. My answer may then differ slightly..

Has anyone put a test light in the ignition or fuel system to see if something is delayed when cranking the motor over?
I have a theory;
Sounds like all 1fz motors have to crank over a number of times to start. Could the delay be for the oil pump to start pumping before the motor starts?
Does the motor have to have oil pressure before it fires up?
Or am I waaaaaaaay out there? :D

Mine starts first time every time. If you are asking how many times the engine rotates, in approaching ignition, I'd say 3 revs, no more than that. HTH

5 to 7.

I also don't touch the gas pedal at all.

>> beo discussed this before, too ... <<

Hmmmm. Maybe I went off half cocked as I've been known to do, but for the life of me I can't remember contributing to the prior discussion.

I can't even figure out what you guys are counting as a "turn over." It's hard for me to tell whether the engine has made a full revolution or not. I can estimate time with the starter engaged but I cannot count revolutions. Maybe it's just bad hearing.

-B-

Beowulf said:

Hmmmm. Maybe I went off half cocked as I've been known to do, but for the life of me I can't remember contributing to the prior discussion.

I can't even figure out what you guys are counting as a "turn over." It's hard for me to tell whether the engine has made a full revolution or not. I can estimate time with the starter engaged but I cannot count revolutions. Maybe it's just bad hearing.

-B-

I assuming the measurement is

ra - rut = 1

ra -rut ... ra - rut =2

:confused:

Beowulf said:

-B-

I brought it up before. Maybe we sound a like when we talk??? :D

in this thread

this text was posted from alldata by Gumby (there is a good schematic in that thread also)

"In the diagram above, when the engine is cranked, current flows from terminal ST of the ignition switch to terminal STA of ECM (STA signal).
When the STA signal and NE signal are input to the ECM, Tr1 is turned ON, current flows to coil of the circuit opening relay, the relay switches on, power is supplied to the fuel pump and the fuel pump operates. While the NE signal is generated (engine running), the ECM keeps Tr1 ON (circuit opening relay ON) and the fuel pump also keeps operating.

by this it sounds like the fuel pump will not operate until it sees starter engaging and rotation of the crank shaft. then it may take a bit of time to get fuel pressure up, i have not found all of this info in the FSM yet, need to confirm it there

my 80 has the longest crank time of any fuel injected car I have owned, possibly a full second? maybe slightly more? I'll try to time it when I get it running right, my '01 chevy momentarily kicks on the fuel pump when the key is first turned to "run" and it starts almost instantly

The oil pump is gear driven so it's pumping whenever the engine is turning. Maybe the circuit is waiting for a minimum oil pressure?

-B-

I'd say 4-5 on mine. So Stress now tell us yours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom