Towing / pulling in reverse bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Remember reading someplace that pulling in reverse is not a good idea.
Anycare cares to elaborate on why that is?
(yes, did a search)
thanks
Eric

Pulling what?

The reverse cut gear in the front diff is stronger in forward then reverse. You can and will break teeth if you do heavy pulling. The design is even stronger in forward then the older 9 inch diff that was low pinion but just does not handle the reverse very well. I have seen several stock toyota ring gears broken. As well as regeared ring gears broken. all were due to reverse situations. later robbie

ah, interesting! has to do with the shape of the teeth then if I understood this correctly...! thanks Robbie.

Dan, may need to pull some logs and stuff...

E

robbie said:
The reverse cut gear in the front diff is stronger in forward then reverse. You can and will break teeth if you do heavy pulling. The design is even stronger in forward then the older 9 inch diff that was low pinion but just does not handle the reverse very well. I have seen several stock toyota ring gears broken. As well as regeared ring gears broken. all were due to reverse situations. later robbie

good info to know thanks :cheers:

That is one reason why it is not a very good idea to back up with the front diff locked.

The diff gears have a "coast" side and a "drive" side. Obviously when you coast, the gears are overrunning and the teeth are contacting their opposite sides. The slope of the coast side is less, which acts like a wedge to turn a higher percentage of the force applied into a destructive expanding force (pushes the contacting teeth apart with great force). The slope of the drive side is steep, which transfers a higher percentage of the force applied into rotating the other gear.

Don't pull in reverse unless you're good at using the vehicle's momentum and a snatch strap to do it. In this way, you're not actually pulling against the stuck vehicle with torque applied through the diffs, but merely accelerating in reverse and having the strap transmit the energy to the other vehicle.

Generally, don't recover in reverse, however.

DougM

Good to know. I used my 91 dozens of times in reverse to extract vehicles from the ditch in the winter. As soon as it snows a little you can wait at the end of my street for them. Quick $ and at 20 bucks a pull a bargain for them as well. Did however use a snatch strap each time.

MoJ charging for a tug - that's bad karma ;)

I generally try to tug from the rear for a different reason - if the attachement point on the other vehicle (esp if pulling someone from a ditch that doesn't have proper recovery points) fails or the recovery strap breaks then the back of the truck takes the hit or it's stopped by the cago barrier vs. the front windshield and my head.

Cheers, Hugh

are the original tow loops on the 80 strong enough for a vigorous snatch?
E

>> are the original tow loops on the 80 strong enough for a vigorous snatch? <<

Yes.

-B-

Yes as noted, but consider checking the bolts on all 4 of them before using them if you do not know the vehicle's history. Body shops remove them for bumper work, dealers remove them to install grille guards, etc. Dunno the torque spec, but it would be important here.

DougM

Body shops also have a bad habit of sticking whatever bolt fits in there. IIRC they should be grade 8 8mm 1.25 pitch.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom