To Herculine or put in new carpet?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i just ripped and out all the old carpeting and stuff and iam seriously thinking about herculining the inside instead of putting in new carpet. i dont know to much about herculiner but that you can do it yourself. all you people that have used it, give me some feedback on it and if you even have some pictures it painted on email me them at triksrevival23@yahoo.com.

also i need a new transmission cover. when i pulled up the carpet i discovered some guy had cut big holes in it. so if anyone has a 3-speed tranny cover that would fit a 71' , please sell it to me.

I just finished herculining (new word?) my tub and it turned out great. As you've probably heard a million times prepping is very important. From hearsay it sounds as though its very durable and for the price dificult to beat. I would suggest herc or some kind of durable product under carpet as carpets tend to hold water and water = rust. I'll try to get you some pictures tomorrow.

-david

I Herculined then added insulation and pvc mats. Cut the noise in half and made for a much more comfortable ride. Do both. :cheers:

[quote author=TriksRevival link=board=1;threadid=15694;start=msg149254#msg149254 date=1083545181]
also i need a new transmission cover. when i pulled up the carpet i discovered some guy had cut big holes in it. [/quote]

Mine was like that and I used some sheetmetal and rivets to patch the holes, then cut new ones. Be sure to use some sealant under the sheetmetal before riveting.

I did mine and snould have painted it the body color, but left it black. It is holding up great. You should seamseal all the corners. Mine had been sandblasted amd urethane primed, so I can't speak to prep. Just go ahead and paint it the body color.
Ed

Hey Ed - How do you paint it the body color? Is it tint-able or do you just top-coat it with acrylic enamel? If the latter - any additional prep required?

I am considering the same and was curious.

Andy

Mayo-what did you use to insulate
I've got a huge sheet of 3/8" thick rubber (like for the back of a pickup) to cut a full floor matt out of, but not sure what I should use for insulation.

CruisinGA - FYI - I researched this before and found Dynamat as one insulation solution but it was/is really expensive. Like over $200 for the front floor and tranny hump. I ended up buying something very similar at PepBoys for like $30 or so (via recs from others on this site) and it has worked well under my factory mat in my '80 FJ40. It has insulation on one side and the other is coated in a reflective material to deflect heat. Works great.

Andy

[quote author=NJFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=15694;start=msg149749#msg149749 date=1083615325]
Hey Ed - How do you paint it the body color? Is it tint-able or do you just top-coat it with acrylic enamel? If the latter - any additional prep required?

I am considering the same and was curious.

Andy
[/quote]

The Herculiner in a non-tintable product, just goes on black. I don't believe it was designed to be topcoated, although not sure about that.

There is a product made that is tintable, made by SEM.

http://www.semproducts.com/

I used the 40660 Pro-tex tintable truck bedliner kit. This product is a 2 part system, more like auto paint. I ordered it throught one of there distributors on line and got the kit for around $160. You also need a special gun, got that through the same guy, was about $80. Extremely tough stuff!! I sprayed the bottom and up the firewall of a fiberglass tub I used on my frame off resto. You can see a pic on the link below.

http://www.crustycruisers.com/ps128.jpg

If your interested I can find the website I bought it through, and if you want I'd sell you my gun that I bought for a reduce price, done with now.

Matt

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=15694;start=msg149751#msg149751 date=1083615456]
Mayo-what did you use to insulate
I've got a huge sheet of 3/8" thick rubber (like for the back of a pickup) to cut a full floor matt out of, but not sure what I should use for insulation.
[/quote]
The pvc mats I got from CCOT came with a one piece pre-cut, THICK, felt insulation that covers both floor pans and hump. In the rear, I used some insulation I got from the Depot. I think it is actually for wrapping water heaters, not supposed to rot. Its fairly thick felt with the foil looking stuff on both sides. One sheet was enough to do the entire back, including wheel wells. I used marine carpet over that and put down the mat.

the herculiner stuff is a little to Sharp for me..(not Rubbery) if thats a word.. but maybe the stuff i saw wasent put on right.. i put down a coat of Rustolium and cheep carpet with mats and i like it alot!

I don't know about herc being sharp, but I really like the way herc came out.
I taped off a few edges and applied two coats/three on the floors.

I am not sure how long It will last, but I did apply a coat of hunter green (spray can) over my tranny cover...which came out just fine (jpgs to follow if interested).

good luck,
manny 72fj40

Hey fj40mayo--did you prep the rust or just Herculine over it? I am concerned about rot if it is not treated. Any suggesstions?

I wire brushed it and cleaned it well with acetone before applying the first coat. It seems to be holding up well after almost 2 years. The stuff is sharp compared to rhino, but mine stays covered so its not an issue.

The main thing to do is make sure you've roughed everything up before applying. Mine peels where the paint was smooth and I didn't sand it enough(wire wheel would probably work better). I like it because how easy it is to clean up...just get out the hose. It is rougher then rinoliner but also alot cheaper. Can't beat it for the price.

Joseph

where would i get me some of this stuff?

I have used the Herculine in a pickup but it fade bad . I just got done doing the top of my FJ40 71 it had holes and some deep scratches in it . I did the in sides and out , But I found a new product Durabak it comes in all kinds of color and the kit and one Gallon . will cost about 100.00 . No fading plus UV protectent and it can be rolled or spray on .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom