3b diy turbo question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserjunktion

Cruiserjunktion@gmail.com
GOLD Star
Threads
I read alot of posts on adding a turbo to my 3b.

I plan on using a 3bt manifold with a t3 adapter.

I will run the oil feed from from block to the turbo and on the oil pan.

The turbo I have selected is a Garrett Airesearch TA0310.

It is an oem diesel Merdedes 85 300td unit:

Specs:
-Model: Garrett/Airesearch TA0310 (T3 Series)
-Compressor Trim: 50
-Compressor Housing a/r: .42
-Turbine Housing a/r: .48
-Oil Cooled only
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Is this where I tap into the oil galley for the turbo?

Thanks,

MEL
plug2.jpg
Oil%20Fitting%20Adapter.jpg
t0301.jpg

Last edited:
Simply use a "T" in the same location where the oil pressure sensor is located. You won't hurt the oil pressure sensor since it just measures pressure. That's where the AXT turbo takes oil from.

Simply use a "T" in the same location where the oil pressure sensor is located. You won't hurt the oil pressure sensor since it just measures pressure. That's where the AXT turbo takes oil from.

Do you have a pic of this set up?

What do you think of the turbo?

Thanks,

MEL

I just want to point out that this is another fantastic find for DIY turbo builds, along the lines of the Dodge D50. It's my understanding that these Merc diesel engines are pretty plentiful, so if we can yank these turbos at will, we have a great source of pumps for our desires....

Great job Mel!

B

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but with all the threads about installing turbo for a 3B, doesn't putting a turbo on it make it less convienient as you now have to wait for the turbo to cool down before shutting it off?

I've always comtemplated with getting a turbo installed but the thought of always waiting 2-5+minutes waiting for the turbo to cool tended to steer me away.

there are turbo timers but I usually park in my garage and don't want the exhaust to continue running after I shut off.

I guess it's a trade off for power.

I also drive a WRX but it's water and oil cooled and has a sealed system which does not require the turbo cool down procedure which was a big + for me.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but with all the threads about installing turbo for a 3B, doesn't putting a turbo on it make it less convienient as you now have to wait for the turbo to cool down before shutting it off?

I've always comtemplated with getting a turbo installed but the thought of always waiting 2-5+minutes waiting for the turbo to cool tended to steer me away.

If you've ever driven a turbo'd 3B you'd gladly wait for the turbo to cool down. Usually it's nowhere close to 5 minutes. Around town I can usually shut down in 10-15 seconds which I'd leave the truck running for anyways.
The only time you have a long time to wait is when you just get off the interstate into a rest area. When that happens I just let the truck run anyways as I'm not there long enough to make it worth while to wait to shut down. Just leave someone with the truck so it doesn't leave without you!

btw. My turbo is oil AND water. I think it's better.

If you've ever driven a turbo'd 3B you'd gladly wait for the turbo to cool down. Usually it's nowhere close to 5 minutes. Around town I can usually shut down in 10-15 seconds which I'd leave the truck running for anyways.
The only time you have a long time to wait is when you just get off the interstate into a rest area. When that happens I just let the truck run anyways as I'm not there long enough to make it worth while to wait to shut down. Just leave someone with the truck so it doesn't leave without you!

btw. My turbo is oil AND water. I think it's better.

The only route in which I might have a very long cool-down is possibly one I take the most often which is going to school. It sits at the top of the mountain which will probably lead to a very long cool down and in a lot of cases, just as I'm in a hurry to class (I know, I'm bad with that)

good find for another turbo option! i hope we get a well detailed and photographed build up! the oil sending unit is to the right of the oil filter on mine and it has a couple of wires off of it to feed the gauge, watch you dont short these out or you will burn out the gauge.

Also waiting a few minutes for the turbo to cool down isnt so bad if you get to your destination 10 minutes earlier!;)

When i ran my drain line to the oil pan i ran it a little low, in hindsight i would of kept up as high as possible to avoid stirring up any contaminants at the bottom.

not enjoying N/A?

I'll be watching... Richard is looking at Sheila this weekend to see if he can figure out why I have more engine vibration immediately after a 200-mile round trip where I had it going at ~75 mph prettty much the whole time. See you around 10:45-11:30 tomorrow.

I just want to point out that this is another fantastic find for DIY turbo builds, along the lines of the Dodge D50. It's my understanding that these Merc diesel engines are pretty plentiful, so if we can yank these turbos at will, we have a great source of pumps for our desires....

Great job Mel!

B

I thought about the D50 turbo........

The D50 turbo will bolt directly to a flipped 3b manifold.

This would be the cheapest way to turbo a 3b. It spools very fast.

This may be ideal for low rpm but not so good for hwy rpm. (heat)

A neg of this set up is that the each cyclinder is a different distance from the turbo.

This is the reason I decided on a 3bt manifold.

It places the turbo in the center bringing each cylinder almost equal distance from the boost.

You can use most oem toyota CT26 turbos for this manifold. (not supra)

MYHJ60Shelia- Richard is delivering the TURBO Tomorrow at lunch......

See you then.....

Pics of Turbo to follow

I may attempt a top mount intercooler like the one on a gen 2 rx7.

1st step is to get a EGT and baseline my temps before any modifications.
bj60 mlk 016.jpg
rx intercooler.jpg

if tou are going to setup a pyrometer and check temps, find a hill and time yourself to the top, or 0-60 time so we can get a before after comparison,thanx!

He's in Florida, the mountain "passes" there are 6' high (at least the one in the Everglades is)!! Nothing like we have out west.

oh a flatlander eh! maybe 0-60 time is better.

That might work if you put your foot in it all the way to 60 but it won't be as good as a 4-5 mile hill at an 8% grade.

I got the Mercedes Garrett t3 turbo today.

I paid $100 USD for it and it is soild.

It is a model ta0310 from a 85-86 300d Mercedes.

The ta0310 is an upgraded ta0301.

The ta0301is from the 80-84 Mercedes 300d.

The waste gate is spring activated and set to 9psi, where I will leave it.

Pics to follow

Last edited:
Another problem with the D50/manifold flip-- on the 83-84 BJ42 at least the PS pump and reservoir get in the way...

Keep us posted Mel. Looks like you've really thought this out well--look forward to the write up...

B

update-

I gathered an inter cooler and silicone elbows from a 89-91 s5 turbo II rx7.

These are plentiful. They are often replaced day one with a front mount kit.

Mine looks brand new. It was $40 with elbos and clamps.

The 86-88 s4 turbo II rx7 inter cooler looks similar but has a smaller inlet.

The s5 has 2" inlet/outlet. The 3b throttle body and Mercedes turbo outlet are

also 2". This will make plumbing a lil simpler. (maybe) I will have to cut a

hole in the hood to make it effective. I also to grabed the oem Mazda clamps.

I still need to get a 3bt manifold, oil line kit and Toyota/Garrett adapter/hardware. The manifold runs about $500

shipped. This will be the most expensive piece of the system. I plan on

replacing the manifold studs and gasket with new oem Toyota pieces since it will

be all apart. The oil line kits are all over ebay. A honda civic also uses 1/8bst

for the oil sending unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-...hZ019QQitemZ8024680582QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The Toyota manifold/garret adapter will be sourced from a Supra speed shop. A t3 is a popular conversion on older turbo Supras.
diy turbo kit 001.jpg
diy turbo kit 002.jpg
diy turbo kit 003.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom