Builds 79 FJ40 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would share the process of my build for those who are interested. I am starting out with a pretty solid 79 FJ40 that has 28,000 original on it according to the title. This rig has very little apparent rust showing at this point. I am having all of the glass and panels taken apart and sprayed separately prior to assembly. Stainless hardwear will be used in the assembly. The underside will get a fresh coat of POR 15. The interior will be lined with a tinted to 031 liner.
front.JPG
left.JPG
right.JPG
You can see that the front of the rain gutter is bent upwards. The right fender has been coated with some kind of funk and the hood has a pretty good ding in it. But no complaints out of me.
front.JPG
left.JPG
right.JPG

Progress pictures

Here are some detailed pictures of the trouble spots.
fender.jpg
gutter.jpg
rear door.jpg
fender.jpg
gutter.jpg
rear door.jpg

Here ar esome of the progress photos of the disassembly. You can see that the interior floor pans are in pretty good shape considering the rigs age. Some attention will have to be given to the tailgate / rear door area though.
interior.jpg
floor.jpg
front 3.jpg
interior.jpg
floor.jpg
front 3.jpg

Nice rig and looks to be all original. Hope you plan to keep it that way. ;)

Nice rig and looks to be all original. Hope you plan to keep it that way.
That's the plan. In fact I am going back to all of the original colors like on the front bumper. I am also replacing the rear bumper with the factory bumperettes. The only non OME will be a light lift, some 33's most likely, lights and a winch at some point.

Your rig is in grate shape for his age! I wished my '84BJ42 would be in that shape too, when I bought it last year!
Keep it original !

Super nice 40! If my '79 were that clean I'd be one happy camper!

Wow... wonderful '79.

Wish mine were that solid as well. Good luck to you and post up a bunch of pix!

Scott

One question has come up. How do you get the factory sound deadening off of the floor pan in the front? The stuff is as tough as nails. Seems to be an asphalt based product? Any ideas while I search the archives?

floor materials

Use a propane torch and a few putty knives. Open air environment also for fumes....When you get it hot it comes off easy with a 1 inch wide metal putty knife. Then you can really heat up the small remaining spots and get them to come off with a piece of heavy steel wool. that is what I did on my 1979. Easy

Thannks for the advice. I'll give it a try. Speaking of propane torches. There is a turkey with a death sentence that is about to see the last of this cruel world.

I love it!

031 white with 83 Chrome wheels....Its a twin to mine!!!!!!!!

When you have new pain on it let me know and I will supply you with all the original decals. these are the ones under the hood and out. Washer, coolant, emission, warn hubs, unleaded fuel only, warning, 2F and a mess more.

Best,

Shane

One question has come up. How do you get the factory sound deadening off of the floor pan in the front? The stuff is as tough as nails. Seems to be an asphalt based product? Any ideas while I search the archives?

Just curious, why are you taking it off? It looks like its in good condition.

I removed mine but it was pretty damaged and ugly. Even then, after I removed it, I noticed a difference in the interior sound. It does help to dampen road noise and floor pan vibrations.

Use a propane torch and a few putty knives. Open air environment also for fumes....When you get it hot it comes off easy with a 1 inch wide metal putty knife. Then you can really heat up the small remaining spots and get them to come off with a piece of heavy steel wool. that is what I did on my 1979. Easy

Roger the heat thing, but I would use a heat gun, not an open flame:eek:

Ed

Nice 40 Indeed, Take A Lot Of Pics Of The Whole Resto.. Is The Square Bezel From A Later Model Though? Or Is That The First Year Of It? My 78 Has Still Has The Round Bezel.

I believe they went square in early to mid 79. I have a 3/79 with round but it is also a conglomeration of parts...like the early split hood.

Just curious, why are you taking it off? It looks like its in good condition.

I removed mine but it was pretty damaged and ugly. Even then, after I removed it, I noticed a difference in the interior sound. It does help to dampen road noise and floor pan vibrations.

There is some damage on the drivers side at the edge of the mastic. The other reason is that after repairing the interior I am going to line the entire interior pan. Partly for sound, partly for toughness. And I know there are those out there who would say this lowers the resale. I say so what. As far as I am concerned right now there is no resale value as it won't be sold. I was struck with two possible names for this rig 1. Blanco Burro 2. Coffin - I'll be buried in it.

Well time for update photos. Right now the dings and dents have been worked out and a light coat of filler to flatten things out. Today the top is coming off, the windows are coming out and the interior gets started on sanding. Gaskets have arrived and are sitting in a corner along with the POR 15.
front sanded.jpg
hood sanded.jpg
lt qtr sanded.jpg
front sanded.jpg
hood sanded.jpg
lt qtr sanded.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom