Smog pump?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
After getting my ear close to my engine, I think the "clicking" sound is from my smog pump. What inside the pump would cause it to click? As far as replacement, what is the best way to go? Must I go with an OEM pump, or is a NAPA rebuild ok on this part? What might I expect to pay to get a pump? How hard is it to change the pump? I have all the smog stuff on the truck so dumping the smog pump all together would not be good I guess?

Thanks,
Zack

1987 FJ-60

I've gone through 3 NAPA rebuilds in 4 years. Only the last one was still under warranty. I think I paid $120 with a $20 core rebate.

4lowNgo said:
I've gone through 3 NAPA rebuilds in 4 years. Only the last one was still under warranty. I think I paid $120 with a $20 core rebate.

So I guess the NAPA reman pumps suck??

Zack

Man I feel bad for you guys if you have to run a smog pump. I'm not required to in my end of the country, and when mine started acting up I took all the guts out of the inside and its now a fancy belt tensioner...(I also cut the CAT off too and am getting better milage)

bajaman said:
Man I feel bad for you guys if you have to run a smog pump. I'm not required to in my end of the country, and when mine started acting up I took all the guts out of the inside and its now a fancy belt tensioner...(I also cut the CAT off too and am getting better milage)

Well I guess I don't have too run a smog pump, but all of the other smog crap is there so would it run s***ty if the pump itself was gutted? I have no clue about the smog stuff. I don't care about a smog test, I just want it to run good.

Zack

There were also alot of lines etc. to deal with and plug off when I gutted the pump, but my cruiser runs great. I do though contribute how much better it runs to the fact that when I took off the CAT it weighed about 50lbs..most likely it was almost completely plugged with carbon.
But none the less, removing or disabling the pump (if your allowed to) is nothing to be scared of.

JimC has the smog tensioner...get that, and 6 caps from home depot that cap your air rail and I believe its to 2 plugs from any auto parts store for your air filter assm....trucks never run better.

I took my smog off before it failed and when I took it off it would hardly turn. Its just another option worth looking into. The few things left to change on my engine are to block off the new EGR valve and to put on an 80 series PS pump because thats what I have lying around...

As our trucks get older the bearings on the pulley assmebly all start to go and wear after 24 years of use and need a changing. I changed everything on there and its like driving a new truck...

by an extra a/c belt so when it goes you can use that instead of the one on your car

its definitley going out

fytattoo said:
do a search on removal if you want...there is some good topics on here discussing it...OEM pumps run upwards of $400...but dont bother fixing your pump unless your power steering pump right above it is not leaking...if it is, deal with that first, or you will just nuke your brand new pump right away again

Actually the PS pump is only about 1 month old (new OEM Pump). So I don't have any fear about the new smog pump. I called a random Toyota dealer today and they gave me a price of $900.00 for a smog pump, I hung up!

I got an aftermarket rebulid five years ago (don't remember the brand). It's still working. I took my old one and had it rebuilt by www.moto-parts.com. It came back looking nice, but I haven't used it yet--still waiting for my other one to crap out.

sl33py said:
2mbb - how much was the rebuild at moto-parts? that's a potential good idea if the reman lasts any length of time - bonus!

thnx!

rob

It was about the same price as the remanufactured one from the parts store. Somewhere around $120. I've tired contacting them since by email about a water pump rebuild, but I get no response. If you want to get a hold of them, you're better off calling them.

holy crap 900,720???ive never heard anything over 500...i would look around for sure...check ebay or some scrap yards or possibly specter for a used one... hell for 900 you could by a hole nuther parts truck...i just desmogged mine with a working pump on it...i was going to sell it all...but decided to keep it when i came across i wrecked 80' fj40 with 17K miles on it....im not sure if the smog crap made it through the accident so i may need it...but damn

Damn 900? are they made out of a rare moon metal? Really though why are they so expensive? I have 2 laying around from a 3fe in working order just in case I ever need them, I neer knew they were worth so much...

I wonder if anybody has a easy step by step model to desmog a FJ60 and FJ62

spook50 has one for the fj62 search for his name...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom