Bought a 63 FJ40 with some bagage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks Newbie here. I picked up a 63 hardtop 40 this weekend but it has no title. Some guy had left it in storage 5 years ago and never came back for it. After all this time the storage guy found out the owner had died. Here is my dillema, it has no engine or tranny but the exterior and interior is in awsome shape. Should I go the process of going after a title or just part it out?

Welcome.

Where are you located?

Pics?

I would find out the hoops you will be required to jump through in order to title it in your name, and go from there.

Good luck!

-Steve

dont part it fix it or sell it to someone that has the means i know you cant sell them on ebay but some one may have atitle and serial no plates they can sell you if the guy died and you know his name you have to contact the person in charge of the estate there is always the chance they may want the truck since he died you may be able to use a title service usually listed in any car book have done 2 out of new york and they went well best to contact them and find out the rules good luck

I thought about goping through the hoops to get it but that requires finding the person in charge of the estate and having them sign off on it. Is it really worth the process? I love cruisers don't get me wron I have had a few before and even own a new 2006 but as much as I paid for this one I thought if I parted it out I could just go buy another with a title.

Where are you located?

depends where you live, up here you just go to motor vehicles, file a claim on an abandoned vehicle, they attempt to contact the PO, if they have no luck within a certain amount of time they'll give you a letter authorizing you to sell it or register it. I realize that where I live the rules are lax, but it works
option B, the storage guy is presuambly owed some money, he can likely file some kind of a lein, which will either allow him to sell the vehicle, or locate the estate folks that hold the title. of course this might be a big pain for him to do, so be prepared to pay.
HTH

just make sure you get a recipt and and fill out a statment of facts at the local DMV and they should be able to get you a Tital. I had to go through all of this before, and mine was worse as mine had a liean on it at one time.
Shane

A Diesel swap would be awsome but I have to aquire the title first before dumping any cash.

I'll take $1000. I am going to pick it up this weekend. had to wait for a trailer.

Thats what I said about the brand new one but the wife talked me into it. It took alot of convincing though.

Whatever my options I am going to do a diesel conversion before Xmas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom