Explosive Oil Pressure! Should I be concerned with maxed out Oil Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the truck is packed for a weekend camping trip and a mile or so down the road I notice that the oil pressure is all the way up to the H on the gauge. I've never seen it up there before.

While it was up there, I noticed the temp gauge was about half way up. I realize that its normal for it to be there, but it hasn't been that warm since the 180 degree tstat went in with the rebuild 3K miles ago. It is also leaking some oil after being parked.

Last thing, I was checking around for the source of my new oil leak. I noticed the plastic cap over the oil pressure unit (atleast thats what I think it is - right under the oil filter?) was only half on. I popped it off and it looked like the wire was disconnected. I reconnected it and put the cap on. If it was disconnected before but still in the cap, would I have the fairly normal oil pressure reading before.

How do I check that its really high oil pressure and not a bad sending unit/gauge? Anythoughs here guys? I'm stumped.
It wasn't driving noticably different either....

I'm not totally sure what it read after the wire was definately connected. I guess I didn't think much of it after I messed with it. It very well could have been reading that way the 50 miles or so I drove between checking it and messing with it.

Does a mechanical unit just plug into the same point?

actually just did the same thing last week. did you connect the wire to the spade terminal? or the round prong in the center of the sender unit? It pegged when the key was on when hooked to the spade terminal, grounded.

If you hooked it up to the spade terminal (as it LOOKS like it should go there) instead of the circular stud, the gauge does go to ground and usually fries it.

Verify that the wire connector is firmly attached to the circular stud on the oil sending unit and then check the oil pressure dash gauge with the ignition switch on or with the truck at idle. If the gauge is still pegged on H, then sad news, your oil pressure gauge is toast and will have to be replaced.

This is without question, one of the DUMBEST design flaws I have ever witnessed and it's surprising to find such an error in a Toyota, but there you have it.

BTDT,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Holy crap,
Thats what happened. Hopefully I didn't fry it. Why would my temp gauge read warmer too? Thanks guys!

My gauge is spent. The needle just pathetically hangs below any possible reading. Now what? How do I fix this?

Atleast my engine isn't about to explode....

My gauge is spent. The needle just pathetically hangs below any possible reading. Now what? How do I fix this?

Atleast my engine isn't about to explode....

Replace the oil pressure gauge: loosen the gauge cluster in the dash (don't remove yet), disconnect the speedo cable at rear of speedo gauge, now gauge cluster should be free to remove. Once out of vehicle, you will have access to the individual gauges on the cluster. Simple as plug and play, then reinstall cluster, etc...

Best bet for cheap fix is to hit up a '60 series that's being parted out for a good price on a gauge cluster -- yes, the whole cluster -- when priced against a new OEM oil pressure gauge, a whole used cluster can often times be the better buy.

HTH,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

That would replace odometer too, wouldn't it?

i think he is suggesting just replacing teh oil press gauge, but buying a whole cluster in case you need it down the road. or you can sell of individual parts and make the money back ;)

i think he is suggesting just replacing teh oil press gauge, but buying a whole cluster in case you need it down the road. or you can sell of individual parts and make the money back ;)

Roger that.... all of the gauges are independent and easy to replace as single items.

You may wish to clean the bulbs that illuminate the dash as well while you're in there....amazing how much more light they produce without the years of dust coating them. :D

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom