83 FJ60 Build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why did you go so far as to remove the sound deadening? Why didn't you just put more over it?

Did you spray down the entire inside with water? How did you dry out the inside of the quater panels, etc?

Zack

Why did you go so far as to remove the sound deadening? Why didn't you just put more over it?

Because every time I remove something, I find more rust. I didn't take a picture yet, but the rear floor has rust as well under the sound deadening. :mad:

nice job... you need a rotisserie

I 100% agree! That was one of my biggest mistakes so far.

Did you spray down the entire inside with water? How did you dry out the inside of the quater panels, etc?

Zack

Yes, I did spray the inside of the quarter panels. The water ran out of the giant rust holes! :lol: No problem getting rid of the water!

Sound Deadening Removal

Got about 2hr 15min on the 60 this weekend. I got all the sound deadening out. Wasn't too bad using the air chisel on the floors and firewall... just don't stay in one spot too long :whoops:. I had to use a torch and scrape the stuff from the insides of rear quarter panels, that was fun!

Sound Deadening Removed:
100_4646.jpg

Rust on driver side floor under sound deadening:
100_4647.jpg

Oops... :eek: don't stay in one spot too long!
100_4648.jpg

Rear quarter panel sound deadening removed:
100_4649.jpg

Spot Welds and Paint Booth

Got an hour on the 60 last night.

I tried a few different methods of removing spot welds. Seems like the best was a 1/8" pilot with the 3/8" spot weld cutter. Using a regular drill bit as the spot weld cutter wasn't bad, but there are a couple of full holes now :rolleyes:.

The only thing I can't figure out yet is how to separate the panels without damaging them? Any thoughts?

I started work on the paint booth as well. I will post pics up tomorrow after I get a little farther.

Bead Blast?

Have you considered bringing the truck to a Bead blast or sand blast facility? they should be able to get all the way down to the metal.

Paint Booth

Sorry all for the lack of updates, I have been out of town for 3 weeks and just got back into it this week. I wanted to wait for an update until this part was complete.

I spent 12 hours over the course of the last few days making a paint booth out of 1x3" pine and 1 mil plastic. I must admit, the 1 mil is a little thin for those looking to do the same, but it is patchable with duct tape! :hillbilly:

Paint Booth 1:
100_4670.jpg

Paint Booth 2:
100_4673.jpg

Inlet filter is 3 times 16x20 furnace filters:
100_4671.jpg

Rear portion is removable so that I can roll the body in and out. I put a door with hinges on too so I can get in/out easily:
100_4672.jpg

Body Work

Got 1 hour on the 60 this morning. I used the 3/8" spot weld remover bit and started to remove the cowl. I had to use the air hammer to help separate the panels... I will have to hammer some pieces back into shape as it is not the most gentle of tools!

Driver side of cowl:
100_4674.jpg

Have you considered bringing the truck to a Bead blast or sand blast facility? they should be able to get all the way down to the metal.

I have thought about it. Problem is they are going to want $400 or more (even seen over a $1000 to do the underside). I don't think this project justifies the cost.

Plus, I want to do all the body work/rust repairs before I go into big scale paint removal application.

I will probably shop around and see how much it costs... I REALLY don't want to lay on my back and wire wheel the crap off the bottom.

paint removal

Cool project. I was watching Trucks this morning on powerblock and they had a media blasting kit that used baking soda. it seemed pretty cheap for the kit and it just washes away with no effect to the enviroment. it won't warp the metal and it only removes paint and primer. thought I'd share.

Cowl Removal

Got 2hr 15 minutes between last night and tonight. I spent the time drilling out spot welds and removing the cowl.

The air hammer has a tendency to bend the metal up, so I had to hammer it flat again after I was all done. The 3/8" spot weld remover bit ($4 at HF) worked the best. I think I had to remove 50 spot welds to get the cowl off :rolleyes:.

I spent some time grinding/flap disc sanding/3m pad removing/wire wheeling the rust off. I think I enjoy sandblasting more :mad:. The wire wheel simply polished everything. The grinding was ok but was harsh, the 3m type wheel shattered the instant it hit a spot weld. The flap disc worked the best for "paint and rust removal"... none were as effective as sandblasting.:frown:

Cowl Removed:
100_4675.jpg

Driver side seam:
100_4676.jpg

Passenger side:
100_4677.jpg

Rust around window frame. This will have to be cut out and re-welded:
100_4678.jpg

Cool project. I was watching Trucks this morning on powerblock and they had a media blasting kit that used baking soda. it seemed pretty cheap for the kit and it just washes away with no effect to the enviroment. it won't warp the metal and it only removes paint and primer. thought I'd share.

Unfortunately I am tired of blasting at home. The mess is just unbearable and the equipment I have just takes too long. I think I am going to get a quote to media blast the whole body. I am thinking anywhere from $400 to $1000 for the whole thing.

I am still going to do all the patch panels first, then trailer it off for someone to help out. If I have to do all the paint removal, the truck will be in the garage til my kids go through college!

Media Blasting

Well, I found a place in Denver that will media blast the body for me. A verbal quote was $450-$500, not bad in my opinion. They will be using star blast which I have read won't warp panels. Based on the mess and time, this is WELL worth it.

I will get all the patch panels and rust repair done, then get the whole thing blasted, then epoxy prime all at one time! :bounce:

Now I just need to find a trailer to haul it around town...

blast

That is a pretty good deal.
On another project, I was looking at quotes ~800.
Just be careful that you dont get flash rust. Maybe spray a fast sand/weld primer.

PS Keep up the great work..:popcorn:

Cowl Repair

Got 2.5 hours on the 60 between last night and today. I had some clean up to do and fixing my air regulator on my compressor, then I got to work on the 60.

I decided to start on the cowl repair. The sequence of repair is pretty straight forward. Cut out rusty metal, cut out clean metal to replace, weld, grind. I'll show once for the peanut gallery, then I will just do a before/after shot from now on as it is time consuming.

I would show the finished product on this one, but I am going to need a copper backing plate to weld. My welder is just too hot at it's lowest settings to not burn through. Great thing about sheet is that it's easy to cut and shape... but no fun to weld!

Spot to repair:
100_4724.jpg

Piece Removed:
100_4726.jpg

Piece pounded flat and traced onto 18 gauge sheet:
100_4727.jpg

I used a 3" cut off wheel and/or the shear to cut the metal:
100_4728.jpg

New metal beside old:
100_4729.jpg

Cowl Repair

Got 3.5 hours on the 60 today over two sessions. Wow! :crybaby: It was definitely a learning day! I have never welded thin metal... it kicked my butt!

I did finally finish welding in a section on the cowl. I had to learn and read some over the course of the day just to get as far as I did. It is not pretty, but I am getting better! Luckily, what I worked on is hidden by the windshield gasket.

Funny thing is, after learning - I redid a small section and I cut out the old, made a new piece, and welded it back in - 15 total minutes :rolleyes:.

Tips:
  1. Use low setting and low gauge on the welder.
  2. My weld only has 4 heat settings. The lowest was not low enough. After reading around, I set my welder up for flux core wire (positive on work piece, not the wire). This actually reduces the heat to the workpiece and moves it to the wire. This worked great!!! I could actually make a small spot weld without burning a hole.
  3. Get a auto darkening welding helmet. It wasn't a big deal on this stuff 'cause you lay a bead. But for spot welds it really helped out!
  4. Don't use a grinding wheel to smooth out the spot welds on thin gauge. Use a flap disk. I spent half my time repairing where I burned through the steel with the grinder.
Before:
100_4725.jpg

After:
100_4734.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom