Jarbidge or Bust - "Overlanding" Nevada 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Whew!

In the mean time, a plan has been developed....

I will pull up and winch Tom to safety. I will then anchor Tom as he winches Dan out of the muck.

He is so far out, though, that it will take a full (or was it two?) winch line extensions. And maybe a tow strap in addition to that.

We are at the very limits of our equipment. IF this even works.

I'm about to get into position, and then, the timing couldn't have been any better being in this situation in the middle of nowhere - my phone rings.

It's my wife and she's calling to chat. I tell her I can't, and throw the phone to Andrew as I'm saying not to be alarmed if she hears some cussing and swearing.

I air down another 5 psi and get back into position. I get out my
Winch controller as Andy is free-spooling my line to Tom's truck.

Everyone finally gets in a safe place and the word is given for me to pull.

I hit the button, annnnnd....

Nothing happens.

I recheck my connection and the freespool lever and try again.

Nothing.

I let some rope out and the motor works. However, it is not spoiling in. My %#€*?'n winch is broken. $&#%. It worked the week before when I put it back on the truck.

Andy has the bright idea that we can let all the rope out and just wind it up in the other direction.

GENIUS!!

We'll be on our way in no time!!!

Last edited:
I know we are at critical moment in the story, but once we see how this ends I'm gonna need you to circle back and discuss that fry bread up there - at length.

thank you

So...normally I make a weeks worth of qual top shelf (not too proud :D) burritos for all. Before leaving camp each morning the radiators are loaded with burritos. 'Cept this trip was a little different: #1) I'm homeless. #2) I had prior plans to pretend to be a short order cook for my friends at Planet X Pottery who hold a sale (excuse to party) each Memorial Day weekend and couldn't start out with the guys...but met up mid-week. And hence no burritos in tow.

So WTF does that have to do with fry bread? Nothing. :D Except the following day, since all I could eat was 1/2 the ginormous fry bread burger at the cafe, I had the waitress wrap my 1/2 leftover in foil and it got served up to self the following day after a 3-hour radiator roast up. I have to say it was worthy.

I did order a slice of fry bread to go... it was nice and warm in an aluminum foil jacket riding shotgun in my front passenger seat. It didn't make it very far before it disappeared into my stomach! That stuff was delicious!

Might as well cover the 'bestest outside of what my Mom used to make homemade banana cream pie' at the Taste of Heaven. After eating all the lunch grub I just could not resist our waitress' near constant sales pitch for 'the best banana cream pie in the world...' or something to that effect. Everyone said "UNCLE" when I asked if anyone wanted dessert...specifically the banana cream pie that would presumably deliver us to the promised land.

So...I ordered one slice of BCP and we all took a bite. I have to say that was the BEST banana cream pie I've ever eaten...not counting Mom's of course ;).

I'd go back for that banana cream pie...and an espresso...but hold the mud :D

Last edited:
We get the Smittybilt in gear and let out all the rope and have it now wrapping around in the other direction. It is now "pulling" in the "out" direction.

We get everything re situated and lined up again for the pull. We are so close I can taste Andy's dinner. We will be out of here in no time!

YESSSS!!! Let's do this!!!

hmmmm i wonder if we can take a shot at making fry bread next year in S. utah?!! any takers?!

Sorry, back to the story!

Have I ever told you how awesome my Smittybilt is?

It is the sh*t!!!

It has pulled me out of mud at the bottoms, it has pulled others out of mud at the bottoms, it pulled Alex of a rock on Cadillac Hill at the '13 Rubithon. I has been through numerous hood-deep water crossings. It has winched me out of a hood-deep water crossing. It has never let me down.

So now, here we are, with the MacGuyvered Smittybilt, in position, everyone is in a safe place, the winch rope wrapped backwards on the drum, my finger is now on the "out" button, ready to make the rope go "in".

Let's do this!

Andy gives the thumbs up and I pull Tom to safety, we then pull Dan loose, peel out to the campsite, and Andy cooks a delicious dinner. the freespool lever pops out of gear.

I MacGuyver the MacGuyvered winch and tie the lever in the engaged position. I try again and it pops out.

$&@%#!!!!

It winds back in unless it is under load, and then pops out of gear. There must be some sort of ratcheting mechanism in there.

Time for Plan C.

I pull my truck out of the way in shame, my tail tucked between my legs and Alex takes my position.

image.jpg

Here's a better perspective of how far away we had to pull from...

image.jpg

Things go better this time. When I mean things go better, I mean that the plan worked. But that's the short version.

There's was a lot of arranging, rearranging, rigging, re-rigging that went on. Way too much to recount.

There was quite a bit of moisture in the soil - the ruts are filling back up with water immediately.

image.jpg

Almost on dry ground...

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hail yeah! Let's get back to one of those campsites that we passed hours ago and drink some beer and eat some dinner!

We all get turned around and pointed toward the exit, we're just waiting on Alex, Tom, and Dan to pull around.

Tom shows up. A minute or two later Alex shows up. And a few minutes later, Dan shows up Dan radios that he is STUCK A G A I N !!!!!!

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

No one says a word. I have no idea how long the awkward pause was, but we just stare at each other. Andy and Tom look beat from all the recovery work. Pasquale doesn't have a winch. My winch is inop.

Alex finally makes a move and heads back.

Luckily this time they were able to get him out pretty quickly.

Now we are finally all back on firm ground and can go back to find that primo campsite.

I just figured out spressomon was in reference to a beverage.
I had kinda just assumed it was a vague Peter Tosh reference.

Did anyone manage to get a pic of our boots and shoes? I felt like I was lifting an extra 30 lbs with every step. Dan kindly offered to clean off the worst of the mud while Andy and I made dinner. I'm sure the whole mud-meadow episode added a couple hours onto the trip that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom