100 Series Exhaust Idea...input please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK to lay it out plain and simple, i want my truck louder. I have the Borla Cat-Back system but its too mild for my liking. I personally could drive a Corvette C6R race car with its open roaring ear peircing loud exhaust as my daily driver...if it had the $ for the car and it was legal to drive.

Anyways, i was thinking of having a exhaust shop fab up a bypass pipe to go from where the muffler attachs on the Borla(where the cat-back starts) to the rear resonator. I would keep the part that is just behind the rear wheels as the borla kit is a 2 peice setup.

Aside from putting my fuel mileage even closer to SinCitys range...would it negatively affect the motor itself? IE:CELs or anything of the sort? I wanted to replace the muffler part so i could revert back to the Borla Cat-back if need be (like a loud exhaust ticket or i end up selling it)

So for final points, I just want to replace the muffler that is between the front and rear axles, but keep the resonator that is near the tow hitch/spare tire.

Thanks,

1notLoudenoughLX

Be wary of back pressure. When you reduce the back pressure too much it changes the power curve for the engine (for the worse). You should go to a performance shop and talk to the exhaust experts that can set you up with the right resonance while keeping the numbers right. There is a science to it and the guys who modify those little crotch rocket rice burners are probably the best source. Good luck.

Agree with the backpressure issue - it takes testing to get it right.
Notice all the carbon on those big fat exits on those Honda's - most of what they stick on those are not tested and they run too rich and actually lower performance.
It is time to start testing for a pipe for the 2012 Baja.

well i have no doubt the borla is properly engineered, i just want louder is all. Any other muflers that keep the backpressure but increase sound?

what if i made the tubing a little smaller then stock, but ran without the muffler? would that keep the BP around oem?

thats a rediculous idea. Maybe ill just buy the bypass pipes for the porsche instead n have that thing loud.

removing cats or getting high flow cats will make it louder

and less back pressure isnt necessarily bad. most stock exhausts are more concentrated on noise reduction. all high performance exhausts are designed to be the most free flowing, but still keeping frequencies in check, but still keeping it at a livable sound level

most stock exhausts are so restrictive for noise that pretty much anything will help performance. to get where the lack of back pressure will hurt would be running something like open headers, or no headers at all

Last edited:
well i already have the borla "performance" cat-back system, its just too quiet still.

does anyone know if the Borla cat-back system for the '04 LC will fit an '05? I thought they were basically the same models...

im pretty sure we had gibson willing to produce headers for the 4.7L if someone dropped their car off for the week at their shop. They would have gotten free headers and the rest of us would finally be able to order them. Then again, nobody in cali got around to doing it so there arent any for me to order.

oh yea, you could also try gutting the cat, resonater, or muffler. you could completely remove the insides of the cat., and remove some of the insides of the resonater or muffler. that was a common mod for the e36 bmws before the aftermarket exhausts started popping up.

The E36 did not have post catalytic converter O2 sensors either, right? Gutting the cat would surely throw a CEL code.

The E36 did not have post catalytic converter O2 sensors either, right? Gutting the cat would surely throw a CEL code.

im not sure, but i remember hearing something about o2 sensor simulators for the track pipes (no cats. and a high flow resonator).

a gutted cat/no cat might throw a code, but what about a high-flow/performance cat., (like a 3" cat)?

I've had Comptech high flow cats in my NSX before and they blew out after a year. They just aren't as durable as the OEM stuff. The O2 simulators will work but I wouldn't really suggest removing the cats for a daily driven vehicle.

Even my 98 has four O2 sensors, as does your 2000. This is a OBDII requirement and the computer is reading exhaust before and then after the cats. If you remove the cats, you WILL get a check engine light, and throw a code for cat function failure. If you leave the O2 sensors unplugged, you will get a code for O2 sensor circuit open.
If you go straight pipe out of the cats, that might be loud, but be prepared to loose most of your bottom end out of your torque range.

HDJ100L: I already have a borla cat-back system. I sure as heck dont want those huge tips hanging off the back. I wanted to gut the muffler for a more raw sound, but im going to loose bottom end power, not worth it since i would rather go faster then louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom