Formulating a plan for a ‘88 FJ62 - Head Gasket?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Formulating a plan and wanted to get info from the group: got an 88 fj62 that has the indications of bad head gasket (could be worse not sure yet).
I may sell the rig, may try troubleshoot & fix, or try an engine swap.

Questions:
Where do you guys get your motors?
For troubleshooting what would be your plan?

3fe engines are tough to source. What symptoms is yours exhibiting?
I still need to check the oil and still need to check the coolant.

It’s probably been going a while (hind sight) but have been losing some coolant. I’ll be honest I’m still learning some basic thing here.

I have not seen any indication of overheating. The day it got very noticeable I only had it idling in the driveway for a while. Cut it off. Then it didn’t start when I went to put it back in the garage. I put a battery charger on and it started (possible hydro lock in cylinder?). When backing into the garage I noticed the white smoke and coolant coming out of my exhaust.

Starting point is checking the fluids. You probably didn't hydrolock the engine.

White smoke can be condensation and not coolant, so from what you're saying, it sounds like you're jumping to conclusions. There are tons of places to lose coolant that aren't the head gasket.

Starting point is checking the fluids. You probably didn't hydrolock the engine.

White smoke can be condensation and not coolant, so from what you're saying, it sounds like you're jumping to conclusions. There are tons of places to lose coolant that aren't the head gasket.

I’ll check the fluids. It was a heavy amount of white smoke. I hope I am jumping to conclusions.
IMG_3354.jpeg

I have a supercharged 1fz that would fit lovely in there ;)

I have a supercharged 1fz that would fit lovely in there ;)
Hmmm tell me more. I have to do some research on my end because I don’t know anything other than I go to work, come home, tinker on random things, and go back to work haha.

Hmmm tell me more. I have to do some research on my end because I don’t know anything other than I go to work, come home, tinker on random things, and go back to work haha.

Mostly joking But I do have one available

Will not bolt up to anything under the hood though. Would need to move motor mounts and swap transmission and mounts for it as well. Depends on how much of a project you are up for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom