Are those newer Quick Chain-adjustment features on chainsaws OK? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
You know, those big round knobs all-in-one affairs to adjust the chain. In contrast to the traditional locking nut and adjust screw approach that most old folks are familiar with.

My gut feeling is that they are not as sturdy or durable, and it's largely marketing for folks who are not as much into saws, but admittedly I don't have one, so I am ready to be corrected on that.

I did note, though, that the big manufacturers (Stihl etc) seem to limit the use of those quick adjustment knobs to the smaller homeowner saws and not the big guys, from what I saw.

So, those of you who have one, are they OK? Durable?

Depends on the brand and model.

STIHL came out with the Quick Chain Adjuster in the early late 80’s / 90’s. They have proven to be bullet proof. They are only offered on the homeowner sized chainsaws when two bar studs are not needed.

I've had a 16" 60V DeWalt for a few years now with the tool-less quick-adjust. Haven't had any issues with it so far. Granted, it is homeowner type stuff and not regularly cutting up cords worth of wood every season.

I imagine these things have sort of spring that is pushing the bar out to set tension before you lock it up. Does the chain tension seem OK per the usual rule of thumbs?

I haven't taken mine apart that far - although it would not be difficult to do so, it seems.

From this diagram, it looks like it is a threaded rod (#88) that does the adjusting and then you lock it down with the other control. I'm not seeing a spring.

Exploded.png

Adjuster.png

I'd be happy to open mine up and take pictures.

^ yours looks more like the usual worm gear - moving pin style it seems, maybe just a hand knob to adjust the tension instead of a screw. That right?

I'm talking about the all in one "automatic" big wheel type.

Ok, I guess I don't know about the "automatic" adjusters. I'll have to look into that.

Mine has two "controls" - the forward one locks and unlocks the adjustment and the back one makes the actual adjustment.

Chainsaw.jpg

Ok, I found this:

It's a similar setup, it seems. The large wheel is like the front one on mine - it locks or unlocks the bar adjustment. The thumbwheel on top is like the rear one on mine - it applies or releases tension on the bar.

Maybe I'm wrong and I was just wishful thinking on this. I don't know for a fact that there is an automatic tensioning feature out there , I just assumed that that is what some of these big wheels did, cuz it made sense that it would help your non-chainsaw-savvy gardener. But if these knobs are just manual nuts, that's not very different from the old style and not much easier or time-saving.

Did a bit of searching. Found some chainsaws with automatic tensioning but oddly they were all electric. And reading some about it, I did see some criticizing of the systems. So I overestimated how common this is. I imagine if the big gas engine saw manufacturers have not embraced this, it's perhaps because the automatic tension bit is not foolproof yet. And TBF it takes me literally only 15 seconds to tighten my chains with a tool. The concept is theoretically interesting, though, but probably not worth additional headaches.
As to the big hand wheels, if they only tighten like a nut and just prevents the need for a scrench, that is also not compelling to me (I do keep my screnches on a lanyard so it's not like I lose them all the time). But if they work, I won't shy away from it, then.

Ok, I found this:

It's a similar setup, it seems. The large wheel is like the front one on mine - it locks or unlocks the bar adjustment. The thumbwheel on top is like the rear one on mine - it applies or releases tension on the bar.

I have this one, worked fine till the gas tank cracked. New Stihl I have doesn’t have it but really don’t need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom