Post your wheeling damage pics (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been there!

If there were trees around but you don’t have a winch, the ‘bog out’ can provide a slow to setup but viable option. It packs to the size of a shoe bag and weighs around 5 lbs
I definitely could have got myself out with a winch. Both bumpers are damaged, but I think this is the excuse I need to get something aftermarket. A winch is definitely in the since this is supposed to become a wheeling rig at some point.

I was just hoping to wait a few years before starting to accumulate damage.

I definitely could have got myself out with a winch. Both bumpers are damaged, but I think this is the excuse I need to get something aftermarket. A winch is definitely in the since this is supposed to become a wheeling rig at some point.

I was just hoping to wait a few years before starting to accumulate damage.
I went several years with just a set of bog outs. Eventually did the front bumper and added a winch at that time.

Obligatory "That'll buff right out!"

Not sure your mileage but if your goal is to turn it into a wheeling rig, just consider it pre-disastered and use the $8k on mods you want? I guess it depends on how hard you're going to wheel of course, and if it's your DD you might not want to drive around with the driver's side all beat up, but if you do eventually want to do trails which might incur body damage this can give you an excuse not to worry about it.

Haha. I'm afraid the scratches are a little too deep. And I totaled a car last year so I'm hesitant to file a claim.

The current plan is to pay to fix the quarter panel and work through the rest as time and budget permits. Ultimately, I plan on doing a chrome delete by colormatching, so I think I'll buy a large batch of colormatched paint from a place like The Touchup Shop and do a lot of the work myself.

In the meantime pull the interior panel and pull off the front fender and a rubber mallet might go a long way to making it close enough to live with

Can I get to the damage on the quarter panel from the inside?
Definitely maybe!

Honestly I'm not sure. I know when I open the jack compartment I can get to a part of the body from the inside. I don't know about the driver's side though as I haven't tried to remove those panels. Probably someone else on the forum has though

Maybe if all else fails try a cheap suction-style dent puller?

You'd need to remove the rear AC equipment to get clear access to the panel.

Is that hard to do? I guess more importantly, is it hard to put it back?
You'd have to start by having someone discharge and and remove all the refrigerant, then have it fully charged again once you put it back together.

I'd start watching YouTube videos on paintless dent repair.

While this isn’t damage from wheeling seemed an appropriate place. Out wheeling the other day and it’s very wet slushy snow we had here. Next day I drove into work, came back out to the lx and discovered my winch controller had shorted and decided to rearrange the front of my bumper. 12k winch vs some maybe 1/8” steel, not much of a match. Worse part is I think it not only destroyed the bumper, I think it burned the motor up on my winch. Can’t release it to free spool either since it’s so bound up.

Now I’m trying to find someone to make me a custom bumper before cruise Moab (not very hopeful). Or I may just start hacking my Ironman up and weld in some new plates to make it work until I can have something fabricated.
IMG_7125.jpeg

IMG_7126.jpeg
IMG_7127.jpeg

While this isn’t damage from wheeling seemed an appropriate place. Out wheeling the other day and it’s very wet slushy snow we had here. Next day I drove into work, came back out to the lx and discovered my winch controller had shorted and decided to rearrange the front of my bumper. 12k winch vs some maybe 1/8” steel, not much of a match. Worse part is I think it not only destroyed the bumper, I think it burned the motor up on my winch. Can’t release it to free spool either since it’s so bound up.

Now I’m trying to find someone to make me a custom bumper before cruise Moab (not very hopeful). Or I may just start hacking my Ironman up and weld in some new plates to make it work until I can have something fabricated.
View attachment 3583702
View attachment 3583703View attachment 3583704
Holy s***.

Man put a cutoff switch on your next one.

Holy s***.

Yeah it was a startling discovery when I walked out and saw the bumper all smashed in. My first thought was who hit me and what did they hit me with!? Definitely plan to have a cutoff switch now. Never had a problem with a winch doing anything like this so it never crossed my mind that leaving it connected to power is wrong. Well now I know.

Haha. I'm afraid the scratches are a little too deep. And I totaled a car last year so I'm hesitant to file a claim.

The current plan is to pay to fix the quarter panel and work through the rest as time and budget permits. Ultimately, I plan on doing a chrome delete by colormatching, so I think I'll buy a large batch of colormatched paint from a place like The Touchup Shop and do a lot of the work myself.
Given this tidbit of info suggest you sandpaper the bottom of your right foot and have them reattach the connection from brain to skinny pedal with a shunt to your wallet. Yep chit happens. Sorry for your loss.

View attachment 3583702
View attachment 3583703View attachment 3583704

Where was the controller? I presume it wasn’t connected to the winch? Seems like an extremely bad failure that should certainly be reported to ComeUp and whatever retailer you purchased the winch from. I could see this type of failure being super dangerous if it’s a product malfunction from moisture.

Holy s***.

If it is the same as the comeup 9.5 I have, they don't recommend a cutoff. Whenever power is turned on the winch beeps until you pair the wireless remote. The shop I bought it from (Slee) told me this, and I also contacted Comeup customer service and they don't have a way to disable this function. I am a fan of the cutoff and have one on my other (Warn) winch.

I did inform comeup the day after it happened. Figured maybe they’d help me replace the controller, motor, winch line, wasn’t really sure. Had to cut out the center section of my bumper just to allow enough play in the winch line to free spool the winch.
IMG_7143.jpeg
IMG_7142.jpeg

Comeup was VERY easy to deal with, would highly recommend them. They wanted me to test the motor once it was out. Tested it, worked fine, told them and they said ok well, we’ll send you a new one anyway. This winch is 4 years old and they’re replacing the whole thing. Today I rebuilt the center section of the bumper.
IMG_7148.jpeg
IMG_7147.jpeg

@mcgaskins The controller was mounted on the winch, it had power but the controller was turned off. It turned itself on.

@CharlieS I’m putting a switch on the new winch, not having this happen again. Regardless what people recommended, that would’ve been the solution to this problem.

I did inform comeup the day after it happened. Figured maybe they’d help me replace the controller, motor, winch line, wasn’t really sure. Had to cut out the center section of my bumper just to allow enough play in the winch line to free spool the winch. View attachment 3590400View attachment 3590401
Comeup was VERY easy to deal with, would highly recommend them. They wanted me to test the motor once it was out. Tested it, worked fine, told them and they said ok well, we’ll send you a new one anyway. This winch is 4 years old and they’re replacing the whole thing. Today I rebuilt the center section of the bumper.
View attachment 3590408View attachment 3590409
@mcgaskins The controller was mounted on the winch, it had power but the controller was turned off. It turned itself on.

@CharlieS I’m putting a switch on the new winch, not having this happen again. Regardless what people recommended, that would’ve been the solution to this problem.

Unrelated but while you are in there, here is how I mounted my front camera instead of hanging off front of bumper.

IMG_5295.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom