What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed this unit a few months ago since my swing outs obscure the rear view. Loving it so far. The front camera is on the rear of the mirror/display, so it may be a little high up you for you to see over the hood + any armor you might have. I've been considering adding a small wireless unit to see the trail from the bumper height. Looking forward to your thoughts once you get it in.
Do you have pictures of your install location?

2000 LC, 313k mile. Changed oil and filter, new rear brake pads, Trail Tailor Diff drop, front diff front bushing, and new left outer tie rod (555).

I think that front diff bushing has a four letter word spec that must be met before it will press in straight. 😬

I also can’t tell you how many different ways I’ve measured outer tie rods over the years to try to avoid a new front end alignment, but a crooked steering wheel is always the final result.

IMG_7992.jpeg

IMG_7991.jpeg

IMG_7990.jpeg

My rear e-locker actuator was corroded away beyond repair - the aluminum of the housing was literally crumbling. Replacements are $$$ - the cheapest I could find was $525 from Cruiser Outfitters. Thankfully you can also get the 80-series actuator from Amazon for $360, swap the connector & breather tube over, adjust the rod out by 1 tooth, and bolt it right up. Now I have a working locker for the first time!

I've probably done enough stuff to this truck to warrant a build thread so I will post more specifics on how to do the job when I get around to posting that up.

PXL_20240302_155401005.jpg

PXL_20240302_155905114.jpg

PXL_20240302_193446598.jpg

Replaced the engine air filter and cabin air filters. Surprised that the Lexus dealership didn’t recommend replacing the cabin air filters as the PO approved anything and everything the dealership recommended.

1709439570031.jpeg

Couple of weeks back my switch for the Tilt/Telescope went bad, bought one from Scottsdale Lexus, but in the process of installing I broke my clock spring, so got one from ebay for $25.

Thought my starter had gone bad but it turned out to be a loose battery terminal (PSA even if it looks clean and tight go ahead and clean some more and tighten some more.

Also replaced my Steering Rack bushings with SuperPro Poly bushings. My driver side was starting to crumble which was resulting in some weird handling. Talked myself into a shop do it ($260) after reading up on the difficulty and tools needed. Very happy with the new firmness and steering characteristics.

Oh and now I'm attempting to fix a leak that is saturating my rear cargo.

Started on my woodgrain veneer removal. The key is using a heat gun to soften the paneling and glue. It comes off leaving almost no residue. Clean up what is left with Goof-Off and a hand held steam cleaner. Resist the urge to pry with tools and your pieces will come out scratch free.

View attachment 3572421
View attachment 3572423
I was overjoyed when I learned that was all removable. The interior looks so much nicer without it.

New skins and a backup camera added to the nearly 10 year old stereo. Dual batteries and GMRS on deck.
IMG_4804.jpeg

IMG_4806.jpeg

Installed a backup camera, which runs through a Grom VLine VL2. My only complaints are that the camera does not show the bumper even after bending the license plate mount to the maximum angle--I may end up trying a custom mounting method--and that it takes a few seconds for the camera image to come up when I put the car in reverse.

The camera is rated at 720p, and the screen is OEM.

camera.jpeg

rearview.jpeg

carplay.jpeg

I’ve been throwing way too much money at this thing lately.

Transfer case gears
Installed non AHC LC 24mm rear sway bar with new bushings
Lutz speedo correction device

Today I chopped up my old receiver hitch. It had to go so I could fit a 35” spare but I missed the lack of exhaust protection. So I cut it off, made clearance for the Ironman recovery point, a recovery point spacer for the port side and trimmed away the fat.

IMG_4113.jpeg
IMG_5545.jpeg
IMG_5546.jpeg
IMG_5547.jpeg
IMG_5548.jpeg

Also received something quite big and heavy.
IMG_5541.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed a backup camera, which runs through a Grom VLine VL2. My only complaints are that the camera does not show the bumper even after bending the license plate mount to the maximum angle--I may end up trying a custom mounting method--and that it takes a few seconds for the camera image to come up when I put the car in reverse.

The camera is rated at 720p, and the screen is OEM.

View attachment 3573054

View attachment 3573055

View attachment 3573057
Hey! Would you have an install guide on this mod? I like the simplicity of the stock look, was it challenging? Where'd you buy the from and what version? Thanks!

Couple of weeks back my switch for the Tilt/Telescope went bad, bought one from Scottsdale Lexus, but in the process of installing I broke my clock spring, so got one from ebay for $25.

Thought my starter had gone bad but it turned out to be a loose battery terminal (PSA even if it looks clean and tight go ahead and clean some more and tighten some more.

Also replaced my Steering Rack bushings with SuperPro Poly bushings. My driver side was starting to crumble which was resulting in some weird handling. Talked myself into a shop do it ($260) after reading up on the difficulty and tools needed. Very happy with the new firmness and steering characteristics.

Oh and now I'm attempting to fix a leak that is saturating my rear cargo.
Keep up the good work!

Went from 285/75/16 (33 inch) on SCS F5s to 285/75/17 (34 inch) on Method 314s. Still warming up to it, I kind of miss the F5s.

Before:
View attachment 3573363

After:
View attachment 3573364
Looked good before, but looks way better now in my opinion. Probably my two favorite wheels, but the gunmetal just looks killer with the IJM and the cladding.

Went from 285/75/16 (33 inch) on SCS F5s to 285/75/17 (34 inch) on Method 314s. Still warming up to it, I kind of miss the F5s.

What falkens?? I am gearing up to switch to the same size tire. How do compare to the bfgs??

Hey! Would you have an install guide on this mod? I like the simplicity of the stock look, was it challenging? Where'd you buy the from and what version? Thanks!
I bought the Vline VL2 directly from Grom. Here's a link.

The install was easy. Just watch a Youtube video about removing the factory head unit/screen, unplug the wiring harnesses, plug the VL2 into the head unit, plug the factor harnesses into the VL2 harnesses, and run the wiring behind the air vents and into the glove box where the VL2 will sit. I'm not the handiest or very tech savvy, and it was easy and quick.

Here's the camera I used.

I had to drill one hole in the metal panel behind the license plate (there is already a hole in the same spot in the plastic panel behind the license plate) to install it. You tap into the reverse light for power, ground it under the nut that holds the rear hatch lock cylinder, and run the wire under the trim from the cargo area to the glove box. As I mentioned, there is a delay between putting the trans in reverse and getting the image on the screen. Could be the camera, or could be the VL2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom