Squeak from rear end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Specs
1990 4runner 4wd
22re
G58
Oem axle housing but 3rd gen v6 diff with 4.88 gears with a truetrac

Hey guys, have been chasing my tail with this heinous squeak coming from the rear of my 4runner. The noise started as a small squeak on really warm days, above 95°. Had some play in my driver side rear wheel bearing so I replaced them both with koyo bearings. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side though.

After changing the bearings the noise subsided for about a week, but it also wasn’t warm that week so I have no way to verify at all. It’s slowly gotten louder and happens at all temps now. I’ve replaced the brake shoes and springs, replaced the wheel cylinders with aisin units. Bled the brakes a few times. Drained my rear end to look at the fluid and look in the holes to see if there’s any indicators of my diff coming apart. All looked fine. Checked the drums/backing plates for any rub marks. Lubed the brake shoe and hardware contact points like the FSM says. M

Here’s the kicker. It only makes noise while it’s ON THE GROUND and rolling forward. can’t replicate on jackstands at all. Does it whether I’m braking or not, at any speed. AS LONG as im driving straight. It goes away on any curve where the weight transfers even a tiny bit and I get body roll, which isn’t hard to do. I’m kind of at a loss. Only thing left I can think of is my companion flange on the diff, but the noise sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side wheel. Anyone have any ideas? Help would be very much appreciated.

Heres my s***box
IMG_6386.jpeg

It’s long travel with big shocks front and rear with aftermarket springs.

do you have a bent housing or super jacked up alignment?

can you replicate it dragging the ebrake while on stands?

do you have a bent housing or super jacked up alignment?

can you replicate it dragging the ebrake while on stands?
Front alignment? No it’s 1/8” toe in and 1° neg camber, forgot caster angle but it tracks straight.

I’ve looked at the housing, measured some stuff but I can’t see any bends anywhere. I definitely beat on it a little since it’s long travel but I don’t think I’ve ever hit hard enough to bend a housing.

Nope it absolutely won’t do it if it’s on jack stands. Has to be on the ground rolling forward in a straight line.

Speedometer cable? Also check the plastic gear in the t-case

Speedometer cable?
I wish, that makes plenty of noise but it’s not the cable. It’s definitely from the rear end, somewhere. I had my wife roll it down the driveway slowly while off while I listened walking around outside the truck, sounds like both sides are making weird squeaking noises. I’d think it was the cheap brake shoes if the noise wasn’t there before I changed them. I think I’m gonna pull the companion flange off this weekend and see if there’s rub marks. Depends how much time I have, I’m currently cleaning up a new motor to swap in.

Can you record it and put it up on YouTube or something? I’m intrigued. Definitely sounds like it could be brakes though. You could always pull the shoes out and throw the drums back on and drive it to see.

Can you record it and put it up on YouTube or something? I’m intrigued. Definitely sounds like it could be brakes though. You could always pull the shoes out and throw the drums back on and drive it to see.
I want to do this, and have thought about it, but how do I keep the wheel cylinders from popping apart? Is there such a thing as brake line caps? Lol.

I’ll try and get a video on my way home from work tomorrow.

sounds like wheel speed.
i would double check the drum to backing plate relationship.

while anything is possible, i don't see this being companion flange.

still wonder if you don't have a bent axle shaft

sounds like wheel speed.
i would double check the drum to backing plate relationship.

while anything is possible, i don't see this being companion flange.

still wonder if you don't have a bent axle shaft
I’ll double check the backing plate, only spots that appear to be shiny in any way are where the shoes ride. Rest is painted or rusty.

I checked axle shaft flange runout and it was well within spec, I didn’t check shaft runout when I did the bearings cause I don’t have a setup to be able to do that, though I may be able to rig something up with some old bearings.

if you don't have flange runout while installed i properly wouldn't sweat it.

the backing plate rides in that notch on the drum. im thinking that's probably the most likely spot

Okay I checked em out this evening. Readjusted following the steps in my FSM. Still creaking. Might just try the old “click them in till the wheel locks up then back it off five clicks” and see what happens. Definitely no rub marks on the drums from the backing plate. I did notice the hub seal, the one that is kinda cone shaped, that’s from the flange to the backing plate, popped off on one side. Don’t think that’s what’s making that sound though.

Okay motor swap done so now I can focus on the brakes. When I was under the truck getting at the bell housing bolts I noticed the adjustment on the rear of the lower arms was a little off so I’ll fix that. I ordered a 12” set of digital calipers to better be able to set the rear drum shoe clearance, I’m sure my current method isn’t super accurate so maybe that’s the problem.

Okay motor swap done so now I can focus on the brakes. When I was under the truck getting at the bell housing bolts I noticed the adjustment on the rear of the lower arms was a little off so I’ll fix that. I ordered a 12” set of digital calipers to better be able to set the rear drum shoe clearance, I’m sure my current method isn’t super accurate so maybe that’s the problem.
drum to shoe clearance is 3 ebrake handle clicks🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom